• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1942 Willys MB Hanger Queen

1943ht

My 1942 Ford GPW Hanger Queen

Just picked up this 1942 Ford yesterday that has sitting in a hanger for years. Its very complete, has a title and ran when parked. It was used to run ground crews around the airport and also to run aircraft in and out of hangers and has a pintle on the front bumper for that purpose. Its pretty much all original, and wont take to much to bring it back up to snuff. Its still in its 6 volt configuration. In addition the purchase included a collection of WWII weapons and memorabilia. The price was very right at $3300 for everything. I'm most thankful this Thanksgiving day!!

W1.jpgW2.jpgW3.jpgW4.jpgW5.jpgW6.jpgW8.jpgw9.jpgW12.jpgW14.jpg

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Looks nice, I did a full restoration on the 1942 MB I have, mine was made March 25 1942, another collection in PA has the brother to mine 1 number older. Some things you may want to adress to bring it up to snuff, it has a civillian windshield frame, e brake is missing, civillian voltage regulator, the two solenoids are add on's, rear taillights, steering wheel and should not have a grab handle. Depending how early in 42 it should have WILLYS embossed where they have the jerry can mounted, the can mount was added on later. The rear crossmember has something going on as well. A very nice jeep with a little bit of work will be a real jem, very nice to see the combat wheels, you did very well. Thank you for your service.

CMPPhil

Hi Mark

Just shows that there're great MVs out there to be found, great condition, really good price, drive and enjoy.

Cheers Phil

1943ht

Bit of an update: Resourced correct windshield, rear bumpers, fuel can mount, spare tire carrier, new rear handle and have fabricated new tail light mounts. F script where possible. Fabricating rear wire harness and am putting dashboard back in order. still need to resource the blackout driving light and both blackout lights for the grill and wire same.

Same goes for shovel and axe bracket goodies and top bow stuff. Still in the middle of my 47 CJA2 Restoration so this is just going in drabs and when I get time and $ for now. Will not start a full restoration until I finish my M16A2 Halftrack.

Pics to follow.

1943ht

Bit of an update: Started on my CJ body, but some items came in for the GPW so I decided to take a break and spend some time on the Ford to get a few thing started. Blackout lights are in, as is the blackout drive light sans 6 volt bulb. Bumpers are installed as is the spare tire mount and a "F" script pintle that was on my 47 CJ when I tore it down for restoration. I was even able to find the original bolt holes under all the bondo using WWII Pics for my tire mount. There were also holes for a jerry can mount although the jeep did not originally come with that item. Serial number shows that this GPW was manufactured in Texas, July 1942.

Was also able to find original bolt and screw holes for shovel and axe mount hardware although this body work was old school lead fill and not bondo. Also started on getting the dash back up to snuff. Dumped the handpull enegency brake installed under the drivers side and replaced it with the correct handpull brake in the dash. The stearing sector box, shaft etc is not correct and I have the correct Ford script box on the way. Its going to be a bit of a chore to get it out and the new one in and unfortunately it looks like someone cut some of the original body and support away back in the day when they installed that POS. 🤐 Also have the correct windsheild, but it will need a little TLC before I can install it.
IMG_20180316_182507.jpg MVIMG_20180316_182645.jpg

Attachments

m38inmaine

Good job, I had to replace the w/s skin on my 42 MB as well, not too bad of a job just be sure to purchase a good quality replacement.

1943ht

ALCON: GPW is a can of worms right now, many things missing or buba-upped but do-able. Started with the back, restored the missing bumpers, spare tire carrier and added a fuel can carrier that had been mounted there before, holes drilled out but was not original on the 42. The Ross box completely cut out along with the floorboard so a chevy box could be installed along with a under the dash emegency brake. That is in the process of being removed and replaced with a Ford script box. Dash is all fffd up with wrong controls, cables etc. Even the data plates are wrong as they are for a Willys Jeep. I was able to purchase a complete GPW Engine today and will pick it up next week.

MVIMG_20180321_105255.jpg
MVIMG_20180321_105311.jpg

MVIMG_20180321_105311.jpg

IMG_20180321_105148.jpg

IMG_20180321_105209.jpg

MVIMG_20180321_105223.jpg

1943ht

Picked up my GPW engine today, very complete, pistons are marked 0.20 oversize so its been worked on in the past. Block # 6015 head # 6050. Also picked up a skid plate and a couple of other goodies. $400 for everything.

Last edited:

1943ht

Waiting for some items to come in for the Willys so I'm working on the GPW hanger queen. Carb is rebuilt, think I may have sourced the correct year carb.

Tore out the Chrysler heater and some of the crap wire, old rotted battery tray, and the bubba cage being used to hold the battery when I recovered the jeep. New tray on the way. Removed the generator because the rubber mounts are just plain gone and the thing has a good inch of play. Also has the wrong adjustment bracket. Removed the cover plate over the foot starter location in the tub, so that I can reinstall the foot starter, and pulled off the two solenoids that were mounted on the firewall.
IMG_20180407_170233.jpg IMG_20180407_170249.jpg IMG_20180407_104723.jpg
IMG_20180407_170212.jpg IMG_20180405_171857.jpg IMG_20180407_104814.jpg
MVIMG_20180405_171922.jpg IMG_20180405_171938.jpg IMG_20180321_105148.jpg

m38inmaine

Good progress, carb looks nice as well. I purchased a new wiring harness from Vintage Wiring of Maine, very nice harness. Amazing the pile of parts that were added on, glad to see you are making it right again.

1943ht

M38/Phil ...looking at this block and the low SN, Im pretty sure that its not a 1943 engine. Block SN is GPW 6015 and the head has a SN of 6050 which is very close regards matching up. Thinking 42 engine. Any opinions on the possible year?

IMG_20180329_165220.jpg PSX_20180329_204531.jpg

1943ht

M38, VWoM just went thru another change in ownership, its second since 07 ..am curious about your harness as I just helped a buddy install his three months ago (Ford GPW) and it was a soup sandwich. Wrong harness components and poor or incorrect instructions. New owners made good on the fix's but quality and service left a lot to be desired.

I build all my own harnesses as Rhode Island Wire has all the correct color, trace, loom etc, and I trust my own work. Besides that its much cheaper. Would you keep me in the loop on your install ....just curious to see how it works out for you.

Last edited:

m38inmaine

My wire replacement was done many years ago, purchased from the original owner of the company who lived only a couple of hours from me, the shop was amazing. Sad to hear the new owners could not keep up the reputation, I think Omix Ada or some other company makes a harness as well.

Not sure on the engine the G503 site has more detailed info that could help you. When I got my MB it had a GPW engine in it, I would have been fine with that but it was in poor condition. A MB engine was offered in trade so I took it and had it rebuilt. My goal was to have as many original WWII parts as possible, if year correct ok but original was my priority. My MB has several Ford marked parts and I am ok with that, she is a bit of a mix master but original.

1943ht

Feel kinda sheepish regards SN's ...very new to jeeps. Apparently those are the casting numbers not the serial numbers. Will correct that ASAP!! Good to go regards the carb as mentioned in my previous post, I have sourced the correct carb as this is probably a CJ carb at best, as was the windshield, voltage regulator and several other items that I've already stripped off and replaced. Used the windshield on my 47 CJ project as I was short that item and will make use of the regulator for the same.

Installed the battery tray and foot starter with new battery cable and wire for am meter ... cleaned up generator and the data plate checked out as correct Autolite model # ...there is also a GPW marked pully under the paint layers.

IMG_20180410_163859.jpg IMG_20180410_163908.jpg

1943ht

Wendell, please call or text me your phone number as my phone sh!!t the bed and i lost all my numbers!!!! All my contact info is in my signature block
Picked up a couple of jeeps and am loving it ...way easier to work on than the bigger trucks I've restored or the Queen!!
On checking the database determined that my engine was manufactured Dec 1942, so it will be a great match for my GPW produced in July of 42.

dmetalmiki

That was an amazing purchase, and your determination and skills do you credit. We are following you posted progress avidly. Well done. (though I quite like that neat little heater!).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks