• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing ring gear on 419

Iforge

I recently got a 419 SEE and have been getting a lot done with it until it stopped starting. I need to know what I have to do to get to the ring gear on the flywheel so I can change it. Leading up to this there was suddenly no response at all when starter button was pushed except a load shown on the ammeter. It would start by shorting the stater solenoid terminals. I was working on tracing down the electrical problem when it made a new bad grinding noise the next time I tried to start it. So I took off the starter ( fun) and saw that the pinion gear was really chewed off (had it been stuck?) on the end and the ring gear is also damaged. I have considered trying to file it in place but do not think that is a very good result. If someone can tell me the general list of things I will have to take apart to change the ring gear that would be great. I expect its a list of big things.... Thank you. Scott

Iforge

Hello. Can anyone tell me what has to be done to get to the ring gear to change it? Just the basic big picture steps would help. I can't find it the manuals. Thanks a lot.

Speedwoble

Hello. Can anyone tell me what has to be done to get to the ring gear to change it? Just the basic big picture steps would help. I can't find it the manuals. Thanks a lot.
I have removed an engine, and had to remove the cab to do so. but you don't have to completely remove it, so you may be able to tilt the cab and slide the engine forward.
Remove Loader
Remove FOPS
Tilt cab
Drain and remove radiator
Disconnect exhaust, air compressor, fuel line to fuel filters
Support transmission
Unbolt engine and slide forward or lift up
R&R Flywheel with new Flywheel bolts

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would spend hours trying to fix the ring gear before resorting to replacing it.
Anyway, what was the issue with removing the starter? That's an easy job.

Iforge

I have removed an engine, and had to remove the cab to do so. but you don't have to completely remove it, so you may be able to tilt the cab and slide the engine forward.
Remove Loader
Remove FOPS
Tilt cab
Drain and remove radiator
Disconnect exhaust, air compressor, fuel line to fuel filters
Support transmission
Unbolt engine and slide forward or lift up
R&R Flywheel with new Flywheel bolts
Thank you very much for the help here.

Iforge

Hello, How can I turn the Unimog 419 SEE engine so that I can inspect and repair the ring gear? The starter is out. I can clean up the ring gear teeth thru the starter hole if I can rotate it a few inches at a time. Thanks for your help. Snow is coming!

Speedwoble

There is a large bolt on the front of the engine, but on mine it took more torque to turn the engine than the torque on that bolt. The bolt head is substantial, but the bolt shank necks down so I wouldn’t want to yield it. Why not put in gear and pull forward with the fuel cut off?

Iforge

There is a large bolt on the front of the engine, but on mine it took more torque to turn the engine than the torque on that bolt. The bolt head is substantial, but the bolt shank necks down so I wouldn’t want to yield it. Why not put in gear and pull forward with the fuel cut off?
Thanks much for the tip, I will give it a try and see if the wheels turn or slide. It is in 4WD and I don't think I can disengage that without the air being on... Is the bolt you refer to on the fan right up against the radiator?

Speedwoble

Yes, that is the bolt. You certainly can try it. My engine was pretty new and tight. You may be able to turn the engine by that bolt.

It would be odd that it is in 4wd with no air. The 4wd solenoid requires air to hold engaged. Regardless, with 16k lbs, it should roll w/o sliding. Make sure fuel is cut off and you are using a higher gear.

Last edited:

Iforge

Thanks to all for the advice. I pulled it forward a little at a time and cleaned up the ring gear teeth with a die grinder through the starter hole. New starter installed and it started right up! Just in time to move some snow. Great! Happy New year to all!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks