• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What should I pay for it?

wilfreeman

I have a chance to buy an M715 from a local feed and seed store owner. It has been sitting, uncovered for about 6-7yrs. It has a factory winch. It has been converted to 12v. Modifications include a couple of lights added to the hood, a couple of light bars (and lights) welded to the bed, custom fuel filler neck, cut and welded front bumper and a Bubbamade rear step bumper. It is missing front center grill, tailgate, generator & regulator, air cleaner assy, seat cushions and top. I only found one rust hole in the cab floor - none on bottom of doors, bed floor, cab corners or toolbox. He says it will run and offered to put a battery in it and put some fuel down the carb when I come back. I see the 2 manifold cracks also.I have always wanted an M715 and this one seems to be a good candidate. Only problem is - I don't know a lot about them - I have been racking my brain reading up on them for the past few days since I learned this one will be coming on the market soon. I know the tailgate is hard to find and the exhaust manifold is expensive. Thought maybe a 6.2 or 6.5 conversion if the engine is bad. I also know the winch itself is worth over $1,500. So what would be a good offer on this thing?

20171124_154155.jpg20171124_152735.jpg20171124_152905.jpg20171124_152934.jpg20171124_152948.jpg20171124_153136.jpg20171124_153806.jpg20171124_154014.jpg20171124_154023.jpg20171124_154052.jpg20171124_154102.jpg20171124_155314.jpg20171124_155120.jpg20171124_154241.jpg

dmetalmiki

That M715 is well worth getting for a restoration project. If was over here I would bid 2-3K for it.
But then they are as rare as 'rocking horse poo' over here.
We just sold ours with a non standard engine in it for 7 1/2 K.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are they asking?

Is titling it an issue where you are? Do they have "paperwork"?

wilfreeman

That M715 is well worth getting for a restoration project. If was over here I would bid 2-3K for it.
But then they are as rare as 'rocking horse poo' over here.
We just sold ours with a non standard engine in it for 7 1/2 K.
That's more like what I'm thinking - offering 1500 and settling @ 2k (maybe).

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

wilfreeman

What are they asking?

Is titling it an issue where you are? Do they have "paperwork"?
He just said that he had been doing some research and saw them selling for up to 10k. I last saw this truck about 20yrs ago - it was in MUCH better condition then. Been sitting outside for 6-7yrs.

I'm pretty sure they have the title. Been in the same family for 25yrs - a ww2 vet. owned it. He also owned a WC53 which the sons donated to a local transportation museum recently after the father died.

wilfreeman

Come on man... two M38A1s and now this? You're killing me! Go get it !
Maybe - I told him I've been an mvpa member over 20yrs and could promise him that it wouldn't get cut up or modified (except maybe the engine). He said that's what his dad would have wanted because he always wanted to restore it. Hopefully he will take that into consideration and let me have it for a price I can afford to pay! BTW, I'll prob have to get rid of one of the a1s to have this. Can't afford to have/keep up a fleet - already got rid of the deuce.

oddave715

Ole girl has a lot of potential. The dent in the wheel well on the bed can be worked out. The winch bumper had the ends cut and folded back and that can be fixed back to original. These never had a grill just the grill guard. Hood originally had a blackout drive light where the fog light is now. The piece welded to the rear crossmember can be cut off. You have the pintle hook which is a bonus but you are missing the bumperettes. Looks like troop seat hardware is there but appears that you will need new white oak cut for it.

Just because people are asking $10k or more for their 715 doesn't mean they are getting that.

And if you haven't already you need to sign up over at www.m715zone.com

wilfreeman

From oddave715:

Ole girl has a lot of potential. The dent in the wheel well on the bed can be worked out. Luckily, my Brother owns a body shop and can do what I don't have the skills for - I have been trying to learn a little bit about body work though (I can handle the mechanical and electrical stuff).

The winch bumper had the ends cut and folded back and that can be fixed back to original. That's what it looked like to me too - figured I would try to do this before I looked for a replacement.

These never had a grill just the grill guard. That's good to know - I was seeing pics with and without the grill, so I didn't know if they were missing them too and very hard to find or just didn't come with them from the factory.

Hood originally had a blackout drive light where the fog light is now. I didn't even notice that it was mounted on the bracket - the one on the other side was drilled and bolted on though.

The piece welded to the rear crossmember can be cut off. I was wondering about that when I was looking at it. The crossmember looked to be in good shape and wasn't cut or drilled.

You have the pintle hook which is a bonus but you are missing the bumperettes. How hard are they to find?

Looks like troop seat hardware is there but appears that you will need new white oak cut for it. I think I saw enough hardware for one troop seat and one top bow, but I could be mistaken - I'll have to ask if they have anymore parts laying around somewhere. I am decent with woodwork too, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Just because people are asking $10k or more for their 715 doesn't mean they are getting that. Yeah, definitely. I told him that if we couldn't agree on a price that I would like to help him sell it to the RIGHT people - ones that would save it rather than make a mud truck out of it.

And if you haven't already you need to sign up over at www.m715zone.com . I signed up there - that's where I've been doing most of my reading. I was going to put this thread on there, but couldn't figure out how to make an album and upload pics.

I KNEW I was keeping that M101 around for a reason! Only thing is - it is an a1.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks