• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 slow take off

texfireman

New here. Our fire dept. just got this M1083 built her up and is almost ready to fight fire but its very slow to take off but runs great after that . no smoke new filters air and fuel I had to get a running start to get it up this little hill ,,,Help 605 hill.jpg

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think saying it's the "called for Allison ATF" is an overstatement, and unlikely to do much for this issue. According to Wikipedia, there are over 100,000 of these trucks running around with their transmissions filled with engine oil, and they are doing just fine. Unrelated to this issue, sure, switch to ATF if you want - I noticed some minor shifting improvement when I switched.

Can you explain the symptoms more? Does it sound like the engine is working hard but the transmission isn't converting it to movement? Is the engine bogging down until it gets some speed?

Normally, the torque produced in second gear (the first gear in use during normal operation) is ridiculously high. The truck can pretty much idle up the side of a building. There is a fairly large ratio jump between the 2nd and 3rd gears (first and second, in normal use), and mine tends to get revved up pretty good before it makes that switch, at which time it takes off in a quick increase in speed.

Without more info, some thoughts...

- Something with the turbo? Turbo have too much drag and it's not spooling up, creating more of a blockage than a benefit?

- Brake(s) stuck on? Do they get hot?

- Transmission stuck in a higher gear?

I'm just grasping at straws.

texfireman

it has atf in it . runs great after it winds up at the end of 2nd gear. I took some slack out of linkage , starts great no smoke at all not even when you are on it hard down the road

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is something called the "android valve" attached to the governor. It senses turbo boost and allows fuel application with boost. It may need adjustment or rebuild.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks