• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV M1079 11k self recovery winch installation

Ronmar

Looks like the A0 is wired to lockout transmission when operating PTO, so no power tot he wheels when winching. Seems to me I read something similar in the operators manual...

Another Ahab

Looks like the A0 is wired to lockout transmission when operating PTO, so no power to the wheels when winching. Seems to me I read something similar in the operators manual...
If so, well that kills the whole idea right there:

- DEAD

But only if so...TM page and paragraph?

Last edited:

Another Ahab

That little bird told me something critical.

The bird suggests that the ONLY source who might have the key to unlock the mystery here (synched vs unsynched) is an SS member named David Doyle.

Goes by DDoyle: anybody know the good man?

If so, will you kindly knock on his door and see if he is in?

coachgeo

That little bird told me something critical.

The bird suggests that the ONLY source who might have the key to unlock the mystery here (synched vs unsynched) is an SS member named David Doyle.

Goes by DDoyle: anybody know the good man?

If so, will you kindly knock on his door and see if he is in?
according to his profile last time he was on ss was back in April...... butt..... he once last year left a calling card you might say

calling card said:
David Doyle
David at daviddoylebooks dot com

Another Ahab

according to his profile last time he was on ss was back in April...... butt..... he once last year left a calling card you might say
Outstanding. Thanks, coachgeo!!

I am going to go outside right now to search the trees for that little bird, and mention this.

Please stand-by. I'll be right back...

AA.jpg

Last edited:

Ronmar

If so, well that kills the whole idea right there:

- DEAD

But only if so...TM page and paragraph?
Foldout 21 of 34 in the A0 schematics(vehicle interface module) found in the back of the tech manuals. You are looking at the contacts of relay SF02 in the VIM which go to pine E2-E3 and on to the PTO/winch controls...

from page 1-33 of the operators manual:
“(5) The transmission may include an electrically controlled PTO (8). The PTO provides power to a hydraulic pump, which powers the 11K Self-Recovery Winch (SRW) (if equipped). The transmission will not shift from Neutral (N) if the PTO is engaged and the winch switch is in the on position.”

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Foldout 21 of 34 in the A0 schematics(vehicle interface module) found in the back of the tech manuals. You are looking at the contacts of relay SF02 in the VIM which go to pine E2-E3 and on to the PTO/winch controls...

from page 1-33 of the operators manual:
“(5) The transmission may include an electrically controlled PTO (8). The PTO provides power to a hydraulic pump, which powers the 11K Self-Recovery Winch (SRW) (if equipped). The transmission will not shift from Neutral (N) if the PTO is engaged and the winch switch is in the on position.”
I know nothing about the winch set up on the FMTV's and was just reading the thread for it's info. It is a shame that a truck may have an electrically controlled PTO and can not be used along with tire's turning / transmission. One would think it was set up that way so someone not knowing the PTO was in gear and winch live could do damage to anything. Just a stupid question what if the PTO was not electrically controlled but manual / cable controlled could the winch be used with the transmission in gear?

Ronmar

Yea, something to make it more operator proof, to prevent say attempting to drive in the direction opposite winching direction. Or it was something specced by Allison to keep from possibly overloading the trans/engine with drive and PTO outputs simultaneously...

Another Ahab

Exactly what idea are we talking about?
- With a Deuce in AWD (front engaged) transfer case in Low and transmission in first gear, that the Winch take-up to the spool is perfectly matched (and actually engineered) to match the forward progression of the truck (totally synchronized).

- "Self-Recovery Winch", right?

Anybody know if this is SO (like back it up with the TM's)?
In response:

- Is the spool take-up of the Deuce winch designed/ engineered to synchronize with the forward progression of the Deuce (when it is in Low/First)?

This question was only "parked" here in this thread to save the trouble of starting a new stand-alone thread. But of course, now in hindsight, that will make any possible revelation here completely unsearchable. Man...

Anyway, there is the idea.

Ronmar

Well any winch cable feed rate varies with the number of layers of cable on the spool. This is especially true of a mechanical PTO winch. With a mechanical PTO there may be a combination where cable speed = vehicle speed but I would not expect that situation to last as you spool cable...

An electric winch can be a little more consistent in this regard. As you add a layer to the spool the cable speed will increase, but the mechanical advantage will decrease so the motor will have more load and slow down...

Another Ahab

Yes on the Deuce winch slow in and first low seems to play nice.
"Seems" is good, and in the right direction.

But on behalf of others, the hope was to get a confirmation of intent (even the engineering), through a reference to "chapter-and-verse" in a TM, or something similar.

Maybe though that kind of verification just does not exist.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks