• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV M1079 11k self recovery winch installation

MJT

Hello!

We just got our rig home and there is an 11k winch and a ton of parts in the back for it. We need to get it out to get everything cleaned up, and I am randomly lucky enough to have a Shop full of mechanics in an open shop today with a forklift today.. so rather than unloading to a corner of the garage and forgetting it, we are at least going to mount and see what we've got. The guy I bought it from said that every part from the winch is there except maybe a screw or two. I can find pictures of the winch installed and I see how to use it in the TM, but is there any instruction on how to mount and install it? I found a couple threads talking about the tach meter, which I assume has some common connections in the space above the dash, but not found anything on installing the winch in a machine that doesn't yet and apparently never had it.

Thank You!

Matt & Janey

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, no instructions, winch was a factory installed option. I have two winch trucks and can add pics to this thread if you can't figure things out from the "-P" manuals. The tricky part is the PTO.

MJT

After careful consideration, we are thinking this winch might be more than we will ever need or use. I am going to sell it and let someone else put it to good use. I figure for the money I could get a generator to tow behind.
What is a winch like this worth? I was thinking $2-3k

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’d install it still. It’s not too much to do. And it will get you knowledgeable on your truck. I’m over in port Orchard if you need help, I have a lot of time spent working on my truck. I’d figure it’s a 1 to 2 weekend project at max. To me it seems like a simple project compaied to the rest you will want to tackle.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed with DiverDarrell. Huge piece of mind to have the srw there because one day you will be out in the sticks and need it for sure. I would break the install into manageable chunks: rear guide, winch itself, front guide, pto, reservoir, dash switches.

Crapgame

Better to have and not need than need and not have. Having to hire a big enough tow truck to snatch an LMTV out of a bad spot is going to cost several Benjamin Franklins. Consider the SRW cheap insurance? If that came with my own truck I'd install it to be self sufficient. But, its your rig, Brother.

MJT

You convinced me! I was having a hard time picturing any situation I couldn't just drive out of, but you guys have made a good point. I guess it's not THAT much more weight, all things considered.

DiverDarrell, I'd appreciate seeing it all assembled. There is a lot of guesswork, even having some pictures. Has anyone taken an LMTV over the ferry before?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and with open diffs there are lots of situations “MUD” you can’t just drive out of. And at 17,000 pounds a Jeep isn’t going to pull you out. The hassle of the install is cheap insurance. It’s just mounting some brackets, running some hoses and wires. Maybe drilling a few holes, and cranking in some grade 8 bolts. I’ll probably go for an electric 18k winch up front as an alternative to the winch you have. The OEM kits are rare.

TracerX

I'm in Puyallup and will have my truck at my house over the Holidays if you want to come down and take some photos and check it all out. It is a factory winch truck.

Aernan

Did you ever get the Winch Mounted? I got a chance to use mine for the first time this weekend (practice). It actually pulls pretty fast and is easy enough to operate.

Another Ahab

Don't know where else to post this, so (mostly out of a pure lazy bone), parking it in this thread here. Thanks, MJT!

A "little bird" told me this (and that bird and me, both having bird brains AND inquiring minds), want to know is the following true and accurate about the Self-Recovery Winch:

- With a Deuce in AWD (front engaged) transfer case in Low and transmission in first gear, that the Winch take-up to the spool is perfectly matched (and actually engineered) to match the forward progression of the truck (totally synchronized).

- "Self-Recovery Winch", right?

Anybody know if this is SO (like back it up with the TM's)?

Be back in a bit, going to go get my popcorn....

coachgeo

with you on popcorn!!!

have read many a post say they can not get into a gear at all in any mode with pto operating (better said... PTO will not work in a gear) and .. yet then again a tiny few others say they could in first?? Maybe you hit the nail on the head breaking that seemingly opposite outcome .... in that being able to get PTO and a forward gear (first) to both work... is only a feature on some MTV's w/winch? Maybe only A1's and later?

Another Ahab

with you on popcorn!!! Maybe you hit the nail on the head breaking that seemingly opposite outcome .... i
No, no, it's NOT me can take any credit.

I am but merely the knucklehead messenger!

The little bird from whom I heard, that Bird is the wise one who seeks confirmation.

We shall see where all this takes us...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks