Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19

Thread: GL Lost Surplus Contract

Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,319 Posts

GP sure has figured a way to get top dollar out of stuff, I don't guess you can really fault them for that. The stuff that is selling above retail though, can't hold out forever.

I know we all griped about GL, but their incompetence is what kept prices down. After you dealt with GL awhile, you learned how to "read between the lines" of their wrong descriptions and deceptive pics, and could work the system in your favor. GL's business model (or lack thereof) kept a lot of novices and newcomers away, because they were scared they would get screwed. You had to know how to work the system with GL to make good buys with them.

You can still get screwed with GP, but somehow people feel more comfortable putting big money on GP items. Their outrageous starting prices seem to play a role, because it seems some people think that it must be worth that much because GP says it is.
    The only member that ever gave himself a infraction point.

www.americanmachinerymoversinc.com

1972 M35A2C dump w/w (nothing more than a hunk of scrap iron between two winches)
    1985 Mack RD822SX (Operation Desert Storm veteran)
    M1000 transporter
    1967 M715
    M101A2
    4- M105s
    M149A2 tanker trailer
    M49 parts truck
    M35A2 parts truck
    M936 (converted to lime spreader truck)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m16ty For This Useful Post:

98G (10-24-2018), cucvmule (02-06-2019), hcso2332 (10-24-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (10-24-2018)

Colonel
    Thanks

What I would like to know is why no one wants to call it for what it is--- GP is trying to limit their financial liability by extending exclusivity to certain middleman players in the surplus business. For example, GP realizes that there is overhead for auctioning off individual triwalls of stuff all around the country-- so they enter into direct sale "deals" with certain players to take all surplus fitting into "X" categories from certain regions. Think of it this way-- GP agreed to give the gov't 6% of acquisition value for all surplus assets-- they in turn strike up a deal to transfer surplus falling into one group of FSC codes to one company (john doe surplus) for say 10% of acquisition value when that company (john doe surplus), knowing it now controls the surplus stream for those FSC codes, can in turn sell for say 15% of acquisition value. GP knows that if they play by the rules, they may not realize a profit in the long run if they were to actually auction those lots like their contract and federal law stipulates. Instead they try to muddy the waters with shady dealing, auctioning off pretty much only the stuff they couldn't directly sell off to other companies.
    I say challenge companies such as Brown Helicopter, who dropped millions a year with GL for a large chunk of their aerospace components. Where are those components coming from now? For that matter, there is a company on here that has been acquiring large quantities of wheeled vehicle components and yet cannot explain where it is coming from despite the fact that they bought a vast majority of their stock from GL prior to GP's takeover. Where is this new stock coming from?

The blunt reality is that we the little guys are all being played for fools--- GP is bound by law as well as the terms of their contract with the gov't to make surplus assets available to the public via public bid--- not backdoor dealings with certain unscrupulous big boy surplus players, not direct sales, not exclusive remarketing, not export. Why doesn't the surplus community start asking the tough questions-- Where are all the vehicle components/aerospace/field gear lots going? Where is the transparency? (on a side note, how was GP, a subsidiary of Ritchie Brothers, a non-US company, even permitted to acquire the surplus contract in the first place? Once again, READ the federal regulations, especially the parts about domestic entity requirements).

My digging turned up enough to raise the eyebrows of one of my state senators. I would suggest you all contact your senators as well. It seems GP is acting like every other big dollar corporate puke-- operating as if they are above the law until enough public outcry or a class action puts the fear of God back into them.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ZiggyO For This Useful Post:

bigbe5678 (10-25-2018), cucvmule (02-06-2019), FloridaAKM (10-25-2018), hcso2332 (10-25-2018), Jbulach (10-25-2018), mcv1964 (10-25-2018), silverstate55 (10-26-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (10-24-2018), Valence (10-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,293 Times in 7,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyO View Post
    What I would like to know is why no one wants to call it for what it is--- GP is trying to limit their financial liability by extending exclusivity to certain middleman players in the surplus business. For example, GP realizes that there is overhead for auctioning off individual triwalls of stuff all around the country-- so they enter into direct sale "deals" with certain players to take all surplus fitting into "X" categories from certain regions. Think of it this way-- GP agreed to give the gov't 6% of acquisition value for all surplus assets-- they in turn strike up a deal to transfer surplus falling into one group of FSC codes to one company (john doe surplus) for say 10% of acquisition value when that company (john doe surplus), knowing it now controls the surplus stream for those FSC codes, can in turn sell for say 15% of acquisition value. GP knows that if they play by the rules, they may not realize a profit in the long run if they were to actually auction those lots like their contract and federal law stipulates. Instead they try to muddy the waters with shady dealing, auctioning off pretty much only the stuff they couldn't directly sell off to other companies.
    I say challenge companies such as Brown Helicopter, who dropped millions a year with GL for a large chunk of their aerospace components. Where are those components coming from now? For that matter, there is a company on here that has been acquiring large quantities of wheeled vehicle components and yet cannot explain where it is coming from despite the fact that they bought a vast majority of their stock from GL prior to GP's takeover. Where is this new stock coming from?

The blunt reality is that we the little guys are all being played for fools--- GP is bound by law as well as the terms of their contract with the gov't to make surplus assets available to the public via public bid--- not backdoor dealings with certain unscrupulous big boy surplus players, not direct sales, not exclusive remarketing, not export. Why doesn't the surplus community start asking the tough questions-- Where are all the vehicle components/aerospace/field gear lots going? Where is the transparency? (on a side note, how was GP, a subsidiary of Ritchie Brothers, a non-US company, even permitted to acquire the surplus contract in the first place? Once again, READ the federal regulations, especially the parts about domestic entity requirements).

My digging turned up enough to raise the eyebrows of one of my state senators. I would suggest you all contact your senators as well. It seems GP is acting like every other big dollar corporate puke-- operating as if they are above the law until enough public outcry or a class action puts the fear of God back into them.
    ZiggyO:
    Thanks for sharing your insight.
    Do you have information that others can share with our Senators?
    I may be visiting with Sen. Ted Cruz next Tuesday.
    PM if you'd rather keep this CONFIDENTIAL.
    John

Colonel
    Thanks

One more thing--- look at the sheer quantities of stuff GL sold off in a given week during their contract-- in the last 6 months of their contract, GL averaged just over 1000 pallets/triwalls of stuff sold off all over the country each week-- this diddn't even count non-palletized lots. Now consider the amount of palletized/triwall lots sold off by GP in a given week-- 200 if even that? So, doing some simple math, in the last few months, on average of 20k pallets worth of stuff if not more would have to have been stocked--- think of the overhead and logistics involved with doing that-- even if they thought they could realize full retail on everything, their profits would still have been eaten by overhead.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ZiggyO For This Useful Post:

bigbe5678 (10-25-2018), cucvmule (02-06-2019), mcv1964 (10-25-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (10-24-2018), Valence (10-25-2018)

Corporal
    Thanks

Yes, So you must be right, They must be selling outside of the public online auction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ltrpd For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (10-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyO View Post
    One more thing--- look at the sheer quantities of stuff GL sold off in a given week during their contract-- in the last 6 months of their contract, GL averaged just over 1000 pallets/triwalls of stuff sold off all over the country each week-- this diddn't even count non-palletized lots. Now consider the amount of palletized/triwall lots sold off by GP in a given week-- 200 if even that? So, doing some simple math, in the last few months, on average of 20k pallets worth of stuff if not more would have to have been stocked--- think of the overhead and logistics involved with doing that-- even if they thought they could realize full retail on everything, their profits would still have been eaten by overhead.
    Yes, I've seen the reports that they were storing it, but I don't see how that is even possible. Even if it was possible, the expense would be enormous, figuring all the logistics and warehousing. You could very well be right about behind the scenes dealings. Nobody seems to know where the stuff is going.
    The only member that ever gave himself a infraction point.

www.americanmachinerymoversinc.com

1972 M35A2C dump w/w (nothing more than a hunk of scrap iron between two winches)
    1985 Mack RD822SX (Operation Desert Storm veteran)
    M1000 transporter
    1967 M715
    M101A2
    4- M105s
    M149A2 tanker trailer
    M49 parts truck
    M35A2 parts truck
    M936 (converted to lime spreader truck)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,149 Posts

Any updates?
    1987 M1008A1 (2)
    1986 M1009
    1995 NF2D FloodLight/Kohler-Kubota Generator Set
    1992 M101A2 trailer (2)
    S-280 Shelter

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstar For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (02-07-2019)

4 Star General Steel Soldiers Vendor Suprman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,417 Posts

Stuff is coming out now. Prices are very high. I believe all the new parts are pretty much being bought up by a few big buyers that bid it back to gov contracts. GL would separate alot of the stuff into categories and do a different ending day for the different categories. GP lumps it all into 2 days. Was easier when all the auctions ended in the afternoon. I can have the auctions open but cant just sit in front of the monitor all day.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Suprman For This Useful Post:

cwc (02-07-2019), gottaluvit (02-08-2019), jatonka (02-07-2019), MWMULES (02-07-2019), smokem joe (02-07-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (02-07-2019)

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19