• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Lost Surplus Contract

smokem joe

That's not good! Things seemed to sell from Lockbourne more reasonable than I had found anyplace else. Any being from Ohio I know better than to take a commercial trailer into PA. PA loves to write bogus fines

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably my last purchases....not driving to PA and west is entirely out of the question. Game over.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not good! Things seemed to sell from Lockbourne more reasonable than I had found anyplace else. Any being from Ohio I know better than to take a commercial trailer into PA. PA loves to write bogus fines
Back in the days I drove over the road we had way more problems in Ohio than PA , with over zealous state troopers.

Shark Bait

My understanding is that DOT is contracted in Pa and not actual government employees. Does anyone know this to be true?

smokem joe

Back in the days I drove over the road we had way more problems in Ohio than PA , with over zealous state troopers.
I drove when I was young as well so I know exactly what you mean. Troopers are only part of the problem in PA. Their version of the DOT is the real problem. Any pickup truck pulling a trailer is a prime target for them. The trucks trailer rating has to match the trailer you are pulling. So if you have a half ton truck pulling an empty 14k trailer you are screwed. Even though the trailer is empty, and the truck is only moving it through the state they still get you. I've even heard from my local trailer sales place of guys from PA buying from them and going into PA and getting nailed. They are not being allowed to leave until a properly rated truck shows up to move the trailer. I've purchased several trailers from surrounding states but would never go into PA for this reason. I use a 1 ton single rear wheel that doesn't have 14k rated trailer capacity or the CGVW rating to cover the trailer. I don't load them that heavy or it is for a very short local load on back roads here. Only dual rear wheel trucks have this rating because it puts you into CDL territory which very few guys pulling a trailer with a pickup have. Cross the 26K line with your combined weight rating and you are sitting till someone with a CDL shows up to move your truck, and Penndot loves to get you on this one. Most states leave you alone for pulling a trailer with a dually that is lightly loaded. Not PA! Better have your CDL. Driving a CDL combo, even empty, without the license gets you big fines. PA loves to get the guys from out of state as it costs them a bunch more to show up in court and fight them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My understanding is that DOT is contracted in Pa and not actual government employees. Does anyone know this to be true?
They are. They have to call a trooper to oversee that its legal when they write you a ticket

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Talked to the GL folks today at Ft Riley, whatever they have listed at Riley on line today is all there is, when those auctions close no more from GL there but scrap. They will move out of their building by March and Eli will be the only GL person left there in a little metal building (shack) by the scrap pile as they will continue to do the scrap only.

smokem joe

They are. They have to call a trooper to oversee that its legal when they write you a ticket

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I can tell you from driving tractor trailer that when being inspected by Ohio DOT that they can't write a ticket that goes on your driving record. They can write fines though-and will call a trooper to write the traffic ticket. I was lucky as the one interaction I had with them I got away with just a fine and no ticket since the nearest trooper was an hour away. This was 20 years ago so not sure if it is still the same way, but I believe it to be. I know courts have thrown out tickets in some states that DOT guys wrote without a trooper present.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you from driving tractor trailer that when being inspected by Ohio DOT that they can't write a ticket that goes on your driving record. They can write fines though-and will call a trooper to write the traffic ticket. I was lucky as the one interaction I had with them I got away with just a fine and no ticket since the nearest trooper was an hour away. This was 20 years ago so not sure if it is still the same way, but I believe it to be. I know courts have thrown out tickets in some states that DOT guys wrote without a trooper present.
Here in michigan the MPSC ( our version of DOT) are part of the state police with more authority than regular state police, even at the county level they are certified officers , so you will get all the tickets they can write.

smokem joe

Here in michigan the MPSC ( our version of DOT) are part of the state police with more authority than regular state police, even at the county level they are certified officers , so you will get all the tickets they can write.

Anything they can do to extort money!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything they can do to extort money!
All you got do is follow the laws , unless you have repeated violations they generally are not that bad. If you run like a commercial carrier charging for your services but don't run log books , have D.O.T. numbers, annual inspection proper permits and insurance you will get what you deserve. If you have a personal vehicle and hauling your own personal stuff your fine .

smokem joe

All you got do is follow the laws , unless you have repeated violations they generally are not that bad. If you run like a commercial carrier charging for your services but don't run log books , have D.O.T. numbers, annual inspection proper permits and insurance you will get what you deserve. If you have a personal vehicle and hauling your own personal stuff your fine .

MI and Ohio for sure. I have no trouble in either. Indiana and for sure PA have their own laws that go above and beyond federal laws. They both go after personal vehicles.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see lots are getting moved to Richie brothers lots rather than GP locations. I’m also confused as to how a Canadian company is able to sell dod equipment. I hope we get to keep the GP website as it’s easier to use than Richie Bro’s

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see lots are getting moved to Richie brothers lots rather than GP locations. I’m also confused as to how a Canadian company is able to sell dod equipment. I hope we get to keep the GP website as it’s easier to use than Richie Bro’s
GP has been selling trucks for several years now , they are now going to sell non-rolling stock , so I don't understand your issue with them selling DOD stuff as they already are selling it.

smokem joe

Richie brothers bought Iron Planet a year and half ago or so. GP is part of that whole enterprise now.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just being in the armed forces I can tell you that when it comes to contracting there are laws of America first. And it surprised me to see that this would be allowed. Not that it really matters and I’m sure that there are things written in the contract on where the money goes. On the positive note Richie Bros has one of there major auction sites just south of me, not a convenient as jblm but it could have been worse. And if stuff goes there vice Ohio from jblm I’ll be ecstatic.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just being in the armed forces I can tell you that when it comes to contracting there are laws of America first. And it surprised me to see that this would be allowed. Not that it really matters and I’m sure that there are things written in the contract on where the money goes. On the positive note Richie Bros has one of there major auction sites just south of me, not a convenient as jblm but it could have been worse. And if stuff goes there vice Ohio from jblm I’ll be ecstatic.
RUMINT says 2 major warehouses, one in PA and one in Las Vegas NV.

Edit - it isn't rumint. It's straight from the source. Apparently I missed a post -

Screenshot_2018-02-03-22-02-26.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks