• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rails up resto in picture form

Lindsaym151

IMG_0843 - Copy.jpgIMG_0844 - Copy.jpgIMG_0845.jpgIMG_0846.jpgIMG_0847.jpgIMG_0848.jpgIMG_0849.jpgIMG_0850.jpgI got a lot completed this week!
Finally the list is shorter on the put it back on list!
Wind shield
Battery box wiring
1/2 shafts
Drive shafts
Change out tyres

Lindsaym151

Hey Wiz, Body Panels from CMD,
Structural (spars) built my self, The rest of the unibody parts where bought at rally's and mvpa events!
Please don't hesitate to ask questions on any part of this build!
That's why I started this thread!
I think I've seen just about every problem your going to in counter with any restoration!
That goes for every one!
Gotta situation, I know we can help!

WIZ87

Thank you. My A1s "structural spars" are pretty shot plus large sections of floor above it need replaced. Not too sure how to tackle the spars correctly. I currently have it on a rotisserie torn apart. Did you use a jig to ensure alignment of the body?

Lindsaym151

Todays conquest's!
Installed 12 u-joints!
installed 4 half shafts
installed 2 drive shafts
installed exhaust system
started vehicle for 1st time since resto began
Notes,
Put front drive shaft in with exhaust header laying above drive shaft,you will not get either in if not done in this manner!
I had all 12 u joints pressed in place by a local shop for 50 dollars! Best money I ever spent!!!!
Remove front wheels for half shaft install! This way you can rotate the wheels to fit u joints and yolks!
Same with rear
I do have some carb and timing issues with the engine, that's all time and no money!
Whats left?
wind shield, wind shield washers, Some minor elect, issues!
Oh also found 5 really good NDCC tires in the back of the warehouse had them mounted! saved 700.00 on tires that I can put twords my a2 rebuild coming up!

Lindsaym151

Well It rained again today here DAY 13 in a row!
Got my carb and timing issues sorted! Put 20 miles on her today!
3 miles and back to the shop to retourqe all u joints! off for a 5 mile loop! flawless! runs 50-60 mph , very quiet rear end ! Shifts like a dream new clutch works perfect!
I am extremely happy with the final outcome of this Vehicle!
Tomorrow I will be taking the windshield to the glass shop and have new glass and rubber seal put in!
This week I will be double checking every nut and bolt on the build to make sure I haven't missed any!
She will be going to MEMORIAL day festivities this weekend!

nattieleather

I asked about the alternator because that's what is posted in the pictures. If you had a generator you would have the voltage regulator mounted on the firewall. You also have the windshield washer reservoir which is an A2 only part and you have an A2 steering wheel. I'm not criticizing. I think you have done a fantastic job bringing the old girl back to life and you should be commended. It is a great job, but not 100% factory is all I'm saying. And in case you are wondering I owned and worked on M151s from 1986-2009 and in that time I owned and rebuilt both an A1 and A2 and helped friends restore their MUTTs and have worked on more 151s than I can remember.

Lindsaym151

I'm not going to go back and check every page posted to see if I ever said FACTORY CORRECT.
To the best of my knowledge , I have a 1968 M151 -A1.
I also have 2 mwo medallions that where attached to this vehicle.
I don't know what they cover.
It looks to me that this was a reserve unit vehicle (USMC) that had some safety and epa upgrades!
Holes where in left front lower fender and Spritzer was installed in hood. Also A2 wind shield was installed correctly.
A2 steering box and wind screen where installed correctly!
The way I look at it is I got the best off road suspension and on road tractability for little or no money and elect wipers!
Not getting testy
! just the best of all 3 m151 worlds!
She drives like a new vehicle, had her up to 60mph and smooth as silk! hands off steering wheel at 55mph for over a mile , straight as an arrow and super quite rear end!
I need to get a radio in her so I can tune out! YES THAT QUITE

nattieleather

Again congrats on your excellent workmanship in bringing the old girl back to life. Many people myself included would have written that body off for scrap so a huge round of applause for your efforts! :goodjob: :not worthy: [thumbzup] The mods are A-Okay in my book! Drive her with pride!

Lindsaym151

Natti, any time your in central FL, stop by!
allways welcome.
On with the build!
Got the rear bumpers set today!
Spare tire mounted, Black out brakelight finished!
That's about it for body and parts!
Have a few minor ENGINE issues to contend with!
Couple of What would you do questions,
Mirror's Square or round?
One rear view mirror , drivers side or two ?Again square or round?
Ill let you guys decide!
At this point I haven't installed top bows!
The Marine corps said we don't need tops!
What do you think?
I'll leave it up to you!
Happy Memorial DAY,
This one belongs to my UNCLE RICHARD, HE GAVE HIS LIFE IN WORLD WAR 2 SO I CAN HAVE THE FREEDOM TO WRITE THIS THREAD!
OOH RAA! simper phi! TAPPS!!!!!!You where loved and will always be loved and remembered!

Lindsaym151

From what my DAD tells me he was SCRAPPING LITTLE MO^&$% F%^$#@! not to be f(ED) with! I know he gave up a good fight in the last day of the war!( KILLED 2 HRS before war was over !)

Lindsaym151

Ok , Back to the issues at hand!
Took the old girl to my neighbors garage!
Set valves to .020
Compression check , #1&3 105, #24 @96
Set points gap to .20
Checked all plugs, found #4 plug gap closed , (not firing) sand blasted all plugs and gap @.30
Starts easy and runs great!
Foot note, I have purchased a electronic ignition and sending carb over to my good friend Billy Brooks.
Why not spend the last 300 on getting It perfect for who ever buys it!

Lindsaym151

aLL RIGHT,
I JUST GOT BACK MY CARB FROM billy brookes , ****en fenomenal,ran perfect!
thank you billy!, your a god!

sorry GUYS Champaign FLOWING, perfect RESTO!!!!
dON'T NORMALY DRINK, BUT TO NIGHT AFTER A 10 MONTH RESTO THAT PUTS US INTO THE RECORD BOOKS!-thank you Hagerty! for showing up !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks