• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15.50 and 14.50 xl tires on stock deuce rims

SpruceDeuce

Hi all,

I recently found a deuce on ebay that had 15.50 xl tires mounted on stock deuce wheels and i wanted to get some opinions on this as i am looking into putting 14.50 xl on stock deuce wheels

also i messaged the builder of the truck and this is what he said about putting 14.50 or 15.50 tires on the stock rims

"I use stock rims on the truck and USA 6x6 super single rims on the trailer. The super single rims are much nicer to work with and eliminate rubbing at full turn. The only issue is cost. I have been paying $250 per rim. The stock rims fit fine and if you turn out your bump stop screws you will eliminate wheel rub. Hope this helps."

"The 14.5x20 can be mounted on a standard deuce rim. You can reuse the flap, but a new tube is needed. I use firestone 13.00/14.00 tubes. The hubs in the rear do need to be flipped. The only issues you will find are in the front. If you do not adjust your turn limiting bolts, you will experience some wheel rub. Hope this info helps. Let me know if you need anything else."

here are the pictures of the 15.50s

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm. Very cool! Do you think it may be possible to dual the rear wheels for a wider footprint, or are the meats too wide on the rims for duals?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
From what I understand, you really should use a wider rim for that tire. That being said, I doubt duals would work.

SpruceDeuce

maddawg,

i certaintly do not know for sure but my guress is that they are too wide and being radials they squish out at the bottom on the sidewalls and would certaintly touch in a dual configuration

i really like the way it looks singled and the fact that you do not have to look for the special, rare, and expensive rims makes it a lot easier i really want to put the 14.50 on the stock wheel i just want to get some other opinions on this

comdiver

The stock wheels are 7.5" wide and stamped on the wheel it says 1200 is the max tire. The tire guys I have talked with say 1100's should be the largest. Off road, do what you can and want.

rizzo

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: 15.50 and 14.50 xl tires on stock deuce rims

not a good idea. there is a reason michelin says to use 11" wheels

SpruceDeuce

RE: Re: RE: 15.50 and 14.50 xl tires on stock deuce rims

thanks everyone for the info i guess i will look to the 1100s for now and one day get the big super singles

thanks again

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: 15.50 and 14.50 xl tires on stock deuce rims

SpruceDeuce said:
...... i really want to put the 14.50 on the stock wheel i just want to get some other opinions on this

Do NOT mount 14.5R20 or other size MPT tires on std. deuce wheels (1.5" flanges), widened or not! The bead section of those tires is different and requires special MPT rims (1" flange height).
Some tires like the Continental 365/80R20 MPT81 are an absolute NO because of their incorporated protective rock-skirt which would interfere with the deuce wheel "horn".
See attached drawings.

On the other hand, MPT wheels eventually can be used for std. radials like 15.5/80R20, 395/85R20, 13.00R20, etc. although they only cover half of the bead area compared to the recommended 20x10" rims with 2" flange height.

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

GoHot229

One of the benefits of these size tires is top speed due to their diamiter ie. one revolution @ distance traveled in feet, verses a 900x20. Of course a 50"+ tire will travel further per revolution than a 900. Given that you have a better top speed, it takes away from lower speeds and the gear ratios of your trans and transfer case ratio. Starting may require a low second to take off, especially if loaded, perhaps that is not the case, I dont have the big tires. But it seems 'grades' and acceleration would suffer quite alot, especially the uphill grades where 4th may be the norm or 3rd until you crest the top. For low speed things off road, they may be way nice, and look kool, but practicality may not be served.

Jakob

I'm confused about which tires SHOULD be run on widened Deuce wheels. I know we SHOULDN'T run the 14.5, 15.5 or the like. What tires are about 46" and will fit properly on widened wheels?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks