Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Waterlogged 803a

Colonel
    Thanks

Default Waterlogged 803a

Well my neighbor down the street has been watching me get my 803a up and going so he decided he'd get one himself. He didn't tell me until he asked me to bring my tractor down and unload it off the shipping truck though. I would have told him to pass on it. Pipe coming up off the muffler and no provisions to stop water from getting in. Auction site claims it turned over. I can't get it to move. I drained 2 quarts of water out of the oil pan. Best thing would probably be a full rebuild. Anyone rebuilt one and know ballpark cost? Are parts available to do this? Or is he better getting a 400Hz unit and taking the engine from it?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,398 Times in 2,584 Posts

Check with Adelmans truck parts. They had some gov reman's in the last ad I got from them .
    www.adelmans.com/

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smokem joe View Post
    Or is he better getting a 400Hz unit and taking the engine from it?
    Thats what I ended up doing. Havent done the swap yet but thats what the plan is.

Colonel
    Thanks

That's a great idea! I'm only 30 minutes from their Ohio office.

4 Star General
    Thanks

Take the head off first and see how much damage is done. I've had 3 units with exhaust flaps missing and water in the motors. If your patient and take your time, usually you can get them free, then use a hone to resurface the bore without a full rebuild. I had one with a LOT of pitting in the head/bore due to water, that I was extremely worried about but it now has 6,000 hours on it since it left me and still running strong. These are very robust engines.
    Last edited by jamawieb; 12-24-2017 at 07:54.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jamawieb For This Useful Post:

TNriverjet (12-23-2017)

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamawieb View Post
    Take the head off first and see how much damage is done. I've have 3 units with exhaust flaps missing and water in the motors. If your patient and take your time, usually you can get them free, then use a hone to resurface the bore without a full rebuild. I had one with a LOT of pitting in the head/bore due to water, that I was extremely worried about but it now has 6,000 hours on it since it left me and still running strong. These are supper robust engines.

I did see your thread about multiple units you got going. I considered trying that. Problem is I will have to do all the work on it and my time is limited! Installing another engine would be my quickest solution. I wish he would have consulted me first before purchasing since there are quite a few decent looking ones on the auction sites now.

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkysplace View Post
    Check with Adelmans truck parts. They had some gov reman's in the last ad I got from them .
    www.adelmans.com/
    Looks to be a bunch of the 2 cylinder versions. I will call them to see if they happen to have a 4 cylinder.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,398 Times in 2,584 Posts

Looks to be a bunch of the 2 cylinder versions. I will call them to see if they happen to have a 4 cylinder.
    In there Truck trader ad they list 4 cylinders also , but it is probably limited.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 4,183 Times in 2,075 Posts

If you cant do an engine swap, with two people in 8-10 hours, you need to take up singing in a rock and roll band. Granted, the first time may take longer, but two men, who have read the maintenance manual, and each has his own tools, no problem. Got to do some prep work, and have an overhead lift capability. But should not be a problem.

ALTHOUGH, there was a gentleman here in the forum, that took months to do it. We THINK there was glue, or something, holding the engine to the flywheel. Still not sure what it was, but he did a great job getting it done in the end. Without explosives.

To get at the heads, to look see, you have to do some of the same work as replacing the engine, so I would at least start looking at the heads in any case. if it looks like a PITA, then simply go on with the swap.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guyfang For This Useful Post:

TNriverjet (12-23-2017)

4 Star General
    Thanks

I did see your thread about multiple units you got going. I considered trying that. Problem is I will have to do all the work on it and my time is limited! Installing another engine would be my quickest solution. I wish he would have consulted me first before purchasing since there are quite a few decent looking ones on the auction sites now.
    First time I did an engine swap, it took 2 full days. The first time I took the head off a unit and unstuck the motor, then got it running was about 4 hours. From then I decided I wasn't going to take the engine out anymore unless it was absolutely necessary. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jamawieb For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (12-24-2017), maniatopoulosg (04-24-2018), SCSG-G4 (03-10-2019), smokem joe (12-24-2017)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast