• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waterlogged 803a

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

:recovry4x4: Really? $450

Where? Adelmans wants $895
I posted a copy of their ad in post #8 , if you look at the bottom of the ad it is from december 2017 , it's from the Michigan Truck trader , they got over a 100 of them , you just have to read the whole thread.:burn:

Last edited:

smokem joe

I posted a copy of their ad in post #8 , if you look at the bottom of the ad it is from december 2017 , it's from the Michigan Truck trader , they got over a 100 of them , you just have to read the whole thread.:burn:

I was going to say check post #8. That is only at their Chicago location too. I'm very close to the Ohio location and they said $895 for the same thing.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, It's sounds more like a bait and switch routine.
People call things differently all over.

Remans = fully re-manufactured engine.

Used engine = a engine

a Onan DN2M used engine?
a Onan DN2M reman engine, nothing else attached.
a Onan DN2M reman with starter, alternator, belt, oil filter fuel filter, ready to go.

It seems like a DN4M engine, used, shows signs of wet stacking for $1,300. is certainly not reman

I kinda have a feeling that they want to get you in the door and nickel and dime you to death for every little piece.

Note: Not burned. I read the ad. Its not very forthcoming with details.

Guyfang

Staff member
I would not call, I would email. That way you have someones name, and written proof of what he wants to skin you for. You can always wave a copy in one persons face, that was written by someone else in the company.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well It's been several years since we bought anything from them but they always stood behind what they sell . I know most truck engines are test run before they sell them . From where I'm at it's 4 hours to either one . Unless you live close by like smokin joe , I doubt shipping would cost anymore from chicago or canton , chicago may be cheaper just by the fact it is a midwest hub town for trucking. Your not taking any bigger gamble buying on from them as you are from a government auction , probably less of a gamble because they may stand behind it and at auction once you pay it's yours.
You could get a brand new motor that's been sitting in a warehouse for years and have problems with it .

Last edited:

smokem joe

I would guess that it's just a reman and you supply the starter and accessories. Even without accessories $450 is still a pretty good price. I priced rebuilding the 4 cylinder and the gasket set was more than that. I've bought stuff from them before from the Canton location and everything was just as described and worked just fine. I'm just not willing to pay $1300 for a used engine that is wet stacked. Looks like they bought a bunch of the 803a's and are trying to make all the money on the engines. They are probably just scrapping the housing and all the electronics. I'd love to get my hands on some of that stuff to have as spare parts!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would guess that it's just a reman and you supply the starter and accessories. Even without accessories $450 is still a pretty good price. I priced rebuilding the 4 cylinder and the gasket set was more than that. I've bought stuff from them before from the Canton location and everything was just as described and worked just fine. I'm just not willing to pay $1300 for a used engine that is wet stacked. Looks like they bought a bunch of the 803a's and are trying to make all the money on the engines. They are probably just scrapping the housing and all the electronics. I'd love to get my hands on some of that stuff to have as spare parts!
Howdy,
I would bet the $450 is for a DN2M engine. Not reman or anything. Probably says its a runner, or turns. end of story. The reman ones are $895

Hit up the online version. Hit up the web site.

$1300 for a DN4M is in the ballpark. A ready to go DN4m is around $5000

smokem joe

Howdy,
I would bet the $450 is for a DN2M engine. Not reman or anything. Probably says its a runner, or turns. end of story. The reman ones are $895

There are Federal laws in place to protect the consumer. If you wanted a reman DN2M for the $450 they would have to give you one. The Chicago and Canton branches have different prices on things. That printed ad is out of Chicago. And since that ad specifically says reman for $450 they have to honor it by law. The website seems to be showing for Canton and not Chicago. If you are interested in it send them an email with that scanned add and ask for verification.

$1300 for a DN4M would be a decent price for one that didn't look like it had 10K hours on it and badly wet stacked. I can probably get a 813 for less than that by watching and taking my time. Last auction near me that's about all they brought with low hours for nice looking stuff. I didn't preview those to make sure, but only because I had no interest those at the time.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

So do you have any leads on a DN4M to help smokem joe out ? Have you ever bought from Adelmans ?
I at least gave him a option to look at . So far all you have done in this thread is try and run down Adelmans products.
Could it be that you have some DN2M's you can't move ?

Guyfang

Staff member
Might pay you to make a trip down there and spend a few bucks in a bar, with some workers from the place, and ask them if that's what they are doing. Scrapping gen sets.

smokem joe

Might pay you to make a trip down there and spend a few bucks in a bar, with some workers from the place, and ask them if that's what they are doing. Scrapping gen sets.
If they were doing this out of the plant that is close to me you bet I'd be doing that. All the tear down seems to occur in Chicago on gensets, at least according to what they told me on the phone. That is a 8 hour drive for me. I really wish they were ripping these down at the location a half hour from my place!!!

smokem joe

Not looking to stir up trouble between members here. Daybreak I didn't realize you sold stuff. I thought maybe you were in the market for an engine.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So do you have any leads on a DN4M to help smokem joe out ? Have you ever bought from Adelmans ?
I at least gave him a option to look at . So far all you have done in this thread is try and run down Adelmans products.
Could it be that you have some DN2M's you can't move ?
Howdy,
Nope. no problem.

I do not know anything about Adelman's. They are probably a good group. A DN2M reman for $450 is a great deal. Even a DN4M which looks wet-stacked for $1300 is good.

The DN4M is a tough animal to come by. I have not seen even a MEP-813A go for a low price in the last 6 months now. I would suspect that the ones which bid them up do not understand that it is a 400Hz generator.
The other problem is getting a complete gasket kit to even rebuild a DN4M. Yes, it can be gotten, for a price.

His best bet might be to show up and look over the DN4M engines they have for sale. There might be a runner which does not look severely wet-stacked. With the pictures of the DN2M and DN4M engines sitting on all the racks, I am sure there is probably a good deal to be had.

ummm, how much is a 24v starter for a DNxM unit?, how much is a alternator for a DNxM unit? How much is a gasket set? it all adds up quickly.

I have no problem with the new, in the box DN2M engine which I have. You could buy it and sell the alternator and starter and probably be at the $450 mark too.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not looking to stir up trouble between members here. Daybreak I didn't realize you sold stuff. I thought maybe you were in the market for an engine.
Howdy,
It's not a matter of that.
I am always in the hunt for a DN4M engine at a price.

I searched out Adelman's on line and online truck trader and others. There just is not many DN4M out there anywwhere else. I would suggest you, or someone physically look over what they have to offer. There could be some good engines there.

smokem joe

Howdy,
Nope. no problem.

I do not know anything about Adelman's. They are probably a good group. A DN2M reman for $450 is a great deal. Even a DN4M which looks wet-stacked for $1300 is good.

The DN4M is a tough animal to come by. I have not seen even a MEP-813A go for a low price in the last 6 months now. I would suspect that the ones which bid them up do not understand that it is a 400Hz generator.
The other problem is getting a complete gasket kit to even rebuild a DN4M. Yes, it can be gotten, for a price.

His best bet might be to show up and look over the DN4M engines they have for sale. There might be a runner which does not look severely wet-stacked. With the pictures of the DN2M and DN4M engines sitting on all the racks, I am sure there is probably a good deal to be had.

ummm, how much is a 24v starter for a DNxM unit?, how much is a alternator for a DNxM unit? How much is a gasket set? it all adds up quickly.

I have no problem with the new, in the box DN2M engine which I have. You could buy it and sell the alternator and starter and probably be at the $450 mark too.
I suspect the reason the 813s are going as high as they are is just that. Some people are in for a surprise! I just hope they figure it out before they hook up to a building!

I found genuine gasket sets...to the tune of $500. That's another reason I am looking for a runner. The next auction looks like it has some candidates. It is 2 hours away so I will go do a preinspection to see if I can find him something worth bidding on. Some are for sure parts only units as half of the operating panel is gone.

If I were closer to Chicago I might be tempted to go in and look through the stock at Adelman's. As their sales guy was only willing to send me pictures of one unit I will not be spending a couple days on the road to go investigate them.

smokem joe

Well I had a little time this morning so I took the tractor down and grabbed this unit and put it in my shop. I decided I'd pull the head, if nothing else to see how these engines go together. Experience is better for me than reading in the engine TM! It wasn't as bad as I thought. Only the center two cylinders are rusted, and they might not be bad. The pistons were both close to the top of the stroke and only had another 3/4" or so left from TDC. I dumped some tranny fluid in them to see if it will loosen things up enough to turn over.

I took the cover off the side to inspect the bottom end. Some rust in there does not look good. Rod caps looked nice and shiny, but some rust on the crank and maybe in the main bearings. I'll try to take pictures. I didn't want to get grease all over my phone at that point.

Jamawieb have you had rust in the lower end and successfully got them running?

Some rust on the valves on the two center cylinders on the head. When I get more time I'll take the valve out and see if the seat is bad or if I can maybe polish it back to life.

smokem joe

I did look through the preview today. There is a lot of junk in this one. I may have found one for a donor, just have to see where it goes price wise.

csheath

Somebody has a bunch of junkers. GL had several pages of 803 parts machines that sold middle of last year from the Albany Ga site. Most of the sheet metal was damaged because they had them stacked two and three high. The few I followed went higher than I would have paid. They sold most of them in lots of two. I wonder if you could contact the Albany Ga GL lot and find out where they all went?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks