• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep701a stopped producing power

Guyfang

Staff member
Did you try flashing the field? Sometimes with a new regulator, you need to do that.

Did you follow the hook up instructions on the Regulator, concerning the jumpers?

Measure pins 20 and 21 when someone else starts the set. What do you get?

Last edited:

Offgrid14

Could you possible explain how to do this? Or is it something I can read in the TM? I'm trying to do as much reading of the TM as possible. I noticed the Hertz meter fluttering now, with the old one it wasnt doing that.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you have hertz, you have to have some kind of volts. Try bringing up the hertz to 60. Terminal 20 and 20 on the volt regulator should be the left two terminals on the VR

I am sitting in front of the computer, as long as my wife doesn't start *itching it time to go to bed.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
On the volt regulator shoud be a red, black and another color wire. They have to be moved to certin terminals that are just for your set.

Offgrid14

Yes, I hooked up those 3 wires in the exact same spot the previous VR had them in. So even though it's the same VR as my old one it needs to be hooked up different?

Guyfang

Staff member
Wires to terminal board
Terminal 20, Wire number A1-TB2-1
terminal 21, Wire number A1-TB2-2
terminal 24, Wire number A1-TB2-6
terminal 26, Wire number A2-R1-B
Terminal 28, Wire number A2-R1-C
terminal 27, A1-TB2-11

Now its right. I had the wrong 3 kw wire diagram

Last edited:

Offgrid14

I had to start my 5 hour trip home so I'm not in front of the generator anymore. Those 3 wires were the first I hooked up because they were the easiest. I'm almost positive all my wires are hooked up correctly , I thoroughly labeled them and put them right back in the same spot. I'll have to recheck next weekend. If my wires are all in the right spot would checking the exicter, rotor and stator next sound about right? Guyfang, THANK YOU so much for your help , I'm trying to read the TM as much possible.

Guyfang

Staff member
First we need to see if F1 and F2 are sending power to the exciter, then check the rest. Don't thank me, you are doing all the work. Keep reading a bit, and we can try and knock this out next weekend.

I will in all probability be highly, well, at my age, moderately intoxicated this next yesterday night, going to a concert, but Sunday or Friday or even before I run off into debauchery, I will try and keep the computer on.

Offgrid14

Hello again Gentlemen. Im packing the truck and heading upstate for a 4 day weekend. Was hoping to get some of your guys help again with the gen set. So far I changed the voltage regulator which led to me getting the Hertz meter to float between 56-57. It was previously dead on 55 before the VR swap. I will look over the VR to make sure everything is hooked up to what guyfang explained. My question is whats needed to 'flash the field' and whats needed to 'excite the exciter?' I'm in the middle of nowhere up there , I wanna make sure I got everything with me.

Guyfang

Staff member
Hello again Gentlemen. Im packing the truck and heading upstate for a 4 day weekend. Was hoping to get some of your guys help again with the gen set. So far I changed the voltage regulator which led to me getting the Hertz meter to float between 56-57. It was previously dead on 55 before the VR swap. I will look over the VR to make sure everything is hooked up to what guyfang explained. My question is whats needed to 'flash the field' and whats needed to 'excite the exciter?' I'm in the middle of nowhere up there , I wanna make sure I got everything with me.

Offgrid,

Sorry I didn't get to see this earlier. I have been flat on my back with the flu since Sunday. still not up to snuff.

If you take two wires, run from the gen set battery, and momentarily touch them to The F1, (Positive) and F2, (Negative), that should excite the main gen. Just do not mix up the polarity.

Have you conducted the troubleshooting of this gen set In accordance to Chapter 5, in the -34 manual. It will be page 79, (PDF reader) because if you are getting hertz, the main gen has to be working. This set has a frequency transducer in it. It takes AC voltage, and converts it to a DC signal for the meter. So if the hertz meter is showing 55 hertz, (or anything in that range) , there has to be AC voltage.

Offgrid14

I'm going to check out that part in the manual now. I started up the genset, I'm making 20 volts, about 55.5 Hertz but what's weird is I'm pulling a 15-20 load on the meter when nothing's plugged in.

Offgrid14

Guyfang, I looked over the 3 wires that are hooked to the voltage regulator itself, I saw the red and white wires were good but black one was in C4 not C6.

Guyfang

Staff member
Look at the front of the volt reg. There is a listing, of where the jumpers go. Follow it.

Might be a good idea to take the set home, and work on it in your garage.

Offgrid14

Hello again members. My mep701a has been sitting in the yard for the last year and a half. Runs and starts great still no power. New voltage regulator all hooked up, wires in the right spot, tried flashing the voltage regulator and still nothing. voltage regulator measured out about 16.5 volts from f1 and f2. All help would be much appreciated.

Guyfang

Staff member
You need to go to TM 5-6115-615-34, PDF reader page number 85. Start there and read how to check your rotor, stator and diodes. If you have that much voltage on F1 and F2, the exciter works, but your main gen will not light off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks