• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a seized engine

jmpratt

Working through another MEP-803a. This one has a seized engine. When I engage the starter, I hear a solid clunk of the starter engaging the flywheel, but the engine doesn't turn. I can see the generator barely moves when the starter is engaged. Unit looks clean, no obvious problems, 1700 hours.

Any common problem areas to check first before I start taking the head off?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure. Exhaust flap is currently installed correctly.

I have a USB inspection camera. I looked in the crankcase (through the oil fill port) and didn't see anything obvious.
Just because it is installed correctly dosen't mean it wasn't left open sitting on the auction lot, letting rain get into the cylinders . It's a common problem . You may want to pull the injectors and stick your camera in the cylinders.

Kenny0

Not sure. Exhaust flap is currently installed correctly.

I have a USB inspection camera. I looked in the crankcase (through the oil fill port) and didn't see anything obvious.
Try draining some engine oil. if some water comes out then that would be a sign of rusted cylinder walls. Do not try to turn with the starter anymore until you find the problem. That's a good way to do some real damage. On any new machine always try turning over by hand at least one full turn.

jmpratt

Ok, I'll pull the injectors. Do you just grab the crank pulley to turn it by hand? It's kinda hard to grab with the radiator shroud in place. I did remove the top and both protective guards.

jamawieb

Put a socket on the crank and try to turn it over. It doesn't take a lot of force to turn over a free motor.

I just got 4 units out of Lockbourne last month and 2 had seized motors before the GL worker cranked the motor over. :twisted: The auction stated motor turns and when I tried to turn the motor over by hand it was very difficult. So I'm sure it got water in the exhaust. I'm going to pull the heads this weekend and see what I'm dealing with.

Last edited:

jmpratt

Put a socket on the crank and try to turn it over. It doesn't take a lot of force to turn over a free motor.

I just got 4 units out of Lockbourne last month and 2 had seized motors before the GL worker cranked the motor over. :twisted: The auction stated motor turns and when I tried to turn the motor over by hand it was very difficult. So I'm sure it got water in the exhaust. I'm going to pull the heads this weekend and see what I'm dealing with.
Duh. I knew that. It's been a while since I did real engine work.

jamawieb

Did you notice any water in the crankcase? I actually just took my lunch from work and pulled the head off one unit. It wasn't bad at all, really looks like, this one just sat along time and the rings froze to the cylinder. I filled the cylinders with mystery oil and going to let it sit over night to see how much seeps past the rings. If its good, then I'll give it a pass with a hone and put it back together.

jmpratt

Did you notice any water in the crankcase? I actually just took my lunch from work and pulled the head off one unit. It wasn't bad at all, really looks like, this one just sat along time and the rings froze to the cylinder. I filled the cylinders with mystery oil and going to let it sit over night to see how much seeps past the rings. If its good, then I'll give it a pass with a hone and put it back together.
I pulled the side cover off the crankcase. Looks good. A little water, but not much and not much rust. I'm ready to pull the head off but I have to go get a deep 13mm socket to get the rocker arms off.

jamawieb

Got the head off. Looks like rust in each cylinder.
Doesn't look to bad from the picture. Put some transmission fluid, mystery oil, wd40, or anything you like in the cylinders to loosen it up. Then you can use evapo-rust (I think that is how you spell it) to get the rust out, finally run a hone in the cylinder for about 10 seconds. Should be smooth as ice after that.

jamawieb

I've dealt with worse and had great success with the actions I transcribed above. Just check for severe pitting on the cylinder walls and heads.

Kenny0

Ok, I'll pull the injectors. Do you just grab the crank pulley to turn it by hand? It's kinda hard to grab with the radiator shroud in place. I did remove the top and both protective guards.
If it is tough to turn over, remove the starter and use a prybar on the flywheel teeth. This provides a lot of torque so don't get too carried away. When it starts to move, stop and turn in the other direction. keep doing this until you can turn it a complete turn. I too would try to salvage the engine with oil and honing. Nothing much to lose except mostly time.

Bmxenbrett

That does not look to good. Shop vac any loose stuff out and try soaking in oil. I bet the rings are prety **** stuck to the pistons. These engines do come up for sale every now and then

jmpratt

Is it normal for all four pistons to be at the bottom of the stroke at the same time? I guess they could all be at mid-stroke, but it's unusual to see them all lined up at the same position.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it normal for all four pistons to be at the bottom of the stroke at the same time? I guess they could all be at mid-stroke, but it's unusual to see them all lined up at the same position.
It's hard to tell from this picture but they don't look equal , from left to right it looks #2 is the highest and #4 lowest , I would say it is mid stroke. Do they all measure the same ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks