• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 GMC K18 lives again

1960studedriver

Hey everyone,
Starting a new thread for the restoration of my K18 radio comm truck. So far, I have it all apart and am working on the mechanical stuff first. Vacuumed all the mouse nests out, pressure washed and cleaned everything. The engine actually turned over ok with a big bar on the flywheel, hooked up the starter and it cranked over nice and quick so I put all the spark plugs back in and it cranked just as fast as with no plugs.... pulled valve cover and pretty much all valves were stuck open so now the head is at the shop, cracked all the way front to back from freezing.

Anyone have a 235 GMC/Chevy cylinder head? Maybe a whole engine if its in descent shape?

$$$

Oldfart

It may well be a GMC 248 CID engine. In any case it is a GMC and not a Chevy. Found this post from a thread about K18 GMC's

Jeff Lakaszcyck
02-25-2012, 21:50
That's quite a rare truck you have there. The CF 351, or K18 in Signal Corps parlance, was used as a transmitting and receiving station, and was used with the trailer in the attached photo. The body was by the Hicks Body Company of Lebanon Indiana. If it still has the original engine it will be a GMC 248 ci overhead valve six with a 4 speed transmission. According to Fred Crismon's "U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles" the Army took delivery of 258 K18's in 1941, and 109 in 1942. The attached photo is from the Life Magazine Collection.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
If your engine is original it should be a GMC 248CI from all my research. Mine now has a 270 however as the 248 had a busted block as well as the head. It is stamped on the block but I can't remember where.

I hope you may find a little help by reading thru this thread I started on mine about three years ago:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?118984-1941-K18-C-GMC-Recovered-today&highlight=

It is fun to drive and certainly turns some heads going down the road.

Last edited:

Oldfart

Having looked under the hood of several K18's I would have to comment that as nice an idea that is, shoehorning a Duramax in that engine pit would take massive effort.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Having looked under the hood of several K18's I would have to comment that as nice an idea that is, shoehorning a Duramax in that engine pit would take massive effort.
I concur!! There's not room to whip a cat in that engine bay....actually, I don't see why anyone would WANT to whip a cat in the engine bay...But if they DID want to....

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur!! There's not room to whip a cat in that engine bay....actually, I don't see why anyone would WANT to whip a cat in the engine bay...But if they DID want to....
Well maybe wreckerman , he probably has several recipes for cat/opossum.

steelypip

A saner choice of powerplant would probably be a Cummins 4BT. Probably doesn't weigh any more than the stock 6 cyl, is the right shape (long and narrow), and is shorter than the stock engine, so would allow some flexibility in transmission options.

Oldfart

Yes on the 4BT fitting. I once rode around in an M37 that was fitted with a Detroit Diesel 3 cylinder out of a Gamma Goat. The owner switched centers in Goat wheels to make them fit the M37. Duece transmission and more. It was a screamer in more ways than one. Something like that might fit as well.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Unless you change trans/rear axles etc it won't matter much how you power it. The 270 ( bored 60 over) in mine has more than enough power and I just keep thinking...dang...I need another gear!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks