• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian Headlight and Keyed Ignition Switches for FMTV/LMTV - Looking for Input

redman333

Nice work! We have discussed offering a replacement instrument panel for A1's but it is quite involved...and we're not really sure if we can offer without a LOT of hands on support.

And...it would cost several thousand dollars so not sure of the market size.

A0's have a mechanical engine so we'd never attempt.

A1R's we may offer a relatively simple plug and play solution, but again not sure of market size because of lack of A1R's.

Will probably survey the forum in early summer to gauge interest.

Thanks!
I'm sending you a pm on the dash display. I'm interested in what's all involved with the install. Is this just reading info sent out on the 1708 or 1939 network?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Niuhi

Did you end making the ignition and headlight switch kit available? I for one am very interested in both for my A0. I'm trying to make this more civilized and and having a simplified headlight switch and the security of a keyed ignition would go a long way toward making this happen. I'd also like to know what you have done as far as dash. Seems I saw one of your pics had digital and another analog.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you check out their website they have ZERO items for sale to the public other than trucks. Their PARTS were being sold on eBay but there is no listings for them.

Ronmar

Keys are overrated... They only keep honest people out:)... A key can be bypassed, far better for security imo to put in an interlock ckt with a hidden switch, or thru an unlikely dash switch, that disables it. Perhaps using the crank but no start maintenance circuit... “Dam thing wont start”...

Add in an alarm siren blaring after the second or third failed start and bobs your uncle...

Way better than a key IMO.

coachgeo

Did you end making the ignition and headlight switch kit available? I for one am very interested in both for my A0. I'm trying to make this more civilized and and having a simplified headlight switch and the security of a keyed ignition would go a long way toward making this happen. I'd also like to know what you have done as far as dash. Seems I saw one of your pics had digital and another analog.
In a previous post somewhere..... pretty sure it was said the fancy digital dash is only for sale if you purchase the whole truck attached to it.

Could have swore someone did a post or thread on converting to a standard old school dash headlight switch.... but do not quote me on that.

coachgeo

thanks for your write up. Occasionally my memory works

.... I'd also like to know what you have done as far as dash. Seems I saw one of your pics had digital and another analog.
Coachgeo you are correct, you have to have the entire truck attached. .....(to get digital dash from FMTV TRUCKS Inc.)
if one desires to attempt to do their own digital dash for an A1 that shows it all things engine and tranny related... or maybbbbbbeeee a digital dash for an A0 that shows "possibly" tach, engine temp and any data made available by tcu ..... see this thread https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...or-maybe-computer-dash-based-in-OR&highlight=

Last edited:

Niuhi

Thanks guys. I was really just curious as far as the dash goes. Personally I like analog gauges better, especially if their mechanical. I have been toying with different ways of putting an interlock somewhere as opposed to a key too. I'll just have to see once I actually have time to start playing with it. The truck I mean :)

Niuhi

BuiltMFG, have anymore pics of your interior? Your doing yours like I wanted. The pics I've seen look great, have you gotten any further?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks