• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where's AHAB ?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad all is well. Thanks for the update, Chappy. Hope y'all enjoyed your visit!
Indeed we did !

Went to an historic little place in Georgetown called MARTIN’S TAVERN.
http://www.martinstavern.com/

Their history is extraordinary!
It is the place where JFK proposed to Jackie, where Teddy Kennedy met in the back room known as The Dugout for private dinners with many a young lady, and many more stories. Every table and booth has it’s own provenance. AHAB and I sat in the first booth inside The Dugout whose most recent/highest celebrity was Buzz Aldrin.
Here’s a link to their history:
http://www.martinstavern.com/history

I should mention that their prices are definitely upscale. We each had a feast of crab cakes with fillet mignon, broccoli, potatoes with a delicious gravy, beverages and coffee (We skipped dessert.) We visit for almost 3 hours and with a generous tip we got out for under less than an arm and a leg. (Rocky graciously insisted on paying.)

Yes, it was indeed a wunnerful visit with an outstandingly good man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

Whoa!.gif

Whoa! I am humbled...

Chappie told me to check the thread, and I finally got to it right now:

- I ain't nobody, folks, but you sure think some nice things about me.

Didn't mean to fool anybody, but thanks for the good thoughts!

Got to learn to pace myself with the BGA (Big Green Addiction), it was taking up my whole day it seemed like.

One of the things I wanted to do was learn to play a mandolin. That takes time. I was no good when I started. I am STILL no good.

Sure the cats leave the room when I play, but at least now the dog doesn't start-in howling and the neighbors no longer call the police:

- All Good!!

Love you all!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the things I wanted to do was learn to play a mandolin. That takes time. I was no good when I started. I am STILL no good.

Sure the cats leave the room when I play, but at least now the dog doesn't start-in howling and the neighbors no longer call the police:

- All Good!!

Love you all!
Rocky,
Are those furballs trying to tell you that you're MANGLIN' that MANDOLIN???

Persevere, my friend. Nothing worth doing is going to be easy.

BTW: I have no.... NO musical talent. The only thing I ever try to play is the radio.

Guyfang

Staff member
I know your pain.

I once tried to learn the harmonica. After two days, the buddy I was staying with, while hitch-hiking around the USA, took my harmonica and pounded it to dust with two bricks. Some things are just not to be. I am a music junkie. But cant play a lick.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't that ironic...I started taking lessons 2 weeks ago. I've got a fairly extensive music background but this is my first stringed instrument. Slight learning curve with reading chords instead of standard sheet music but I've been enjoying it.

It is really nice though. The Ol' Lady leaves the room when I play. Should've bought a mandolin years ago....

20190511_214645.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. A beaut!

Is that a Gibson?!!
Thanks. It's a Kentucky KM1000. Black top with sunburst back. It's one of their professional models. I wanted something nice to hand down to the youngins'.

I've wanted to learn the mandolin since I was 8 when I first heard one. In January my mom put my oldest boy in guitar lessons. Figured it would be a good time to tackle the mandolin...30 years later, haha. Next year I'm going to put my other boy on the fiddle and we'll have a little bluegrass based string band.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to see you around the forums again Ahab. Good luck with the mandolin. Look up Copperhead Road if you've never heard it. The mandolin made that song great.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished posting this week's Sunday Sermon - for Mother's Day - and, although this week's message includes no links to YouTube music, THIS piece came to mind. (Maybe I'll go back and add it as a post-script.)

All of this talk of musical talent - or the lack thereof - had gotten me to thinking. So, here's what I remembered.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNDtHdG5mVk

It's a poignant lesson. A musical lesson. A lesson of a mothers love, and of our Father's love as well.

We may never know what the Lord may use to unlock hidden talents laying dormant within us. But, whe we hear HIM turn the key to that lock, WATCH OUT ! You just never know what virtues may have been lying within.

Be blessed y'all!

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks