• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where's AHAB ?

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished posting this week's Sunday Sermon - for Mother's Day - and, although this week's message includes no links to YouTube music, THIS piece came to mind. (Maybe I'll go back and add it as a post-script.)

All of this talk of musical talent - or the lack thereof - had gotten me to thinking. So, here's what I remembered.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNDtHdG5mVk

It's a poignant lesson. A musical lesson. A lesson of a mothers love, and of our Father's love as well.

We may never know what the Lord may use to unlock hidden talents laying dormant within us. But, whe we hear HIM turn the key to that lock, WATCH OUT ! You just never know what virtues may have been lying within.

Be blessed y'all!

John
Makes you sit and think.

Another Ahab

Good to see you around the forums again Ahab. Good luck with the mandolin. Look up Copperhead Road if you've never heard it. The mandolin made that song great.
For sure, yessir, that's a fine mandolin melody!

Led Zeppelin had a few good mando tunes, too.

You know "Going to California"?!

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was doing my homework tonight. Reading up on our book talk today. Quite a biography on Ahab. But I found a new Avatar picture for you. Was great to meet you for lunch today.
Moby_Dick_final_chase.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Was doing my homework tonight. Reading up on our book talk today. Quite a biography on Ahab. But I found a new Avatar picture for you. Was great to meet you for lunch today.
View attachment 768515
Capt Ahab was given a "bum rap" in the book. He was in reality just a very "dedicated" individual ! Who gave his all to complete a task. Such devotion to duty should be applauded ! :wink:

Another Ahab

It IS quite a book, isn't it?

Aye..."The Whale", by Melville...arghhhh.

And of all those many pages, the single sentence that boils ALL of it down to the essence might just be this:

- "From beneath his slouched hat Ahab dropped a tear into the sea; nor did all the Pacific contain such wealth as that one wee drop".

Aye.

Aye.

The tragic Captain Ahab....

A.gif

Another Ahab

So, CARMAN and me got together over lunch and afterwards I checked out his little buggy out in the lot:

- A right fine compact roadster, don't you all think?

IMG_0775.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It IS quite a book, isn't it?

Aye..."The Whale", by Melville...arghhhh.

And of all those many pages, the single sentence that boils ALL of it down to the essence might just be this:

- "From beneath his slouched hat Ahab dropped a tear into the sea; nor did all the Pacific contain such wealth as that one wee drop".

Aye.

Aye.

The tragic Captain Ahab....

View attachment 768536
Read the book. Can't say I enjoyed it......

Guess I ain't smart enough to see/understand the myriad of meanings and sub meanings.....

Sad character indeed.......

Thank goodness S.S. AHAB isnt likewise depressed/obsessed

Guyfang

Staff member
I had to read it twice. I read it too fast the first time, and felt like I had missed something. So I sat down and read it again. Took me a while to let it all settle in.

Guyfang

Staff member
Read the book. Can't say I enjoyed it......

Guess I ain't smart enough to see/understand the myriad of meanings and sub meanings.....

Sad character indeed.......

Thank goodness S.S. AHAB isnt likewise depressed/obsessed

Thats just what set me to looking at other folks I thought were "strange". It made me look at them from another angle. I started to "see" that there were "Different angles". I began to notice that there were people who didn't think like I did. And I started to see my "obsessions". I had a very good English teacher, who had a book list for me. I read fast, and above my level. Not always good for me. But she whooped me over the head about "The White Whale". After I read it a second time, she loaded me up with "I will fear no evil" and "Time enough for love" by Heinlein. And then we talked. it was the beginning of my eye opening time. Perhaps another going through it would be good?

Another Ahab

I had to read it twice. I read it too fast the first time, and felt like I had missed something. So I sat down and read it again. Took me a while to let it all settle in.
I have read that book 4 times, always find something new.

The plan is one more reading, after that I call it quits (back to "Goodnight, Moon"!).

Guyfang

Staff member
Indeed! Re reading a book, always brings something new out! Last year, while spending 3 months on the couch, on my back, I re read "The Hobbit" and the Trilogy, for the 8th time. I must admit, the best reading was when my kids were very small. I read aloud, every night, for months. Taking it slow, and easy for them. Even my wife was rivited to the floor, as I read aloud. There will be a 9th reading, as soon as my Grandson is old enough!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Indeed! Re reading a book, always brings something new out! Last year, while spending 3 months on the couch, on my back, I re read "The Hobbit" and the Trilogy, for the 8th time. I must admit, the best reading was when my kids were very small. I read aloud, every night, for months. Taking it slow, and easy for them. Even my wife was rivited to the floor, as I read aloud. There will be a 9th reading, as soon as my Grandson is old enough!
Guy I agree. I spent 14 hours on a plane trip to Asia a few tears ago and read the Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence. Just getting through the turn of the century English was an adventure all it's own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks