• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems running WVO on the multifuel engine

Beyond Biodiesel

I have been running WVO on a multifuel engine for 3 or 4 years now. Last year I went through 2 fuel pumps before I realized that the NOS fuel pump for the multifuel engine is made out of pot metal, which has a high percentage of zinc in it. It turns out zinc is highly active at precipitating dissolved solds, such as fat, which I have been using for about 2 years, but it causes the fat to precipitate out on the pump head, which constrains the impeller, which causes the fuel pump to fail prematurely.

So, I plan to replace the fuel pump with one that does not have pot metal in it. Does anyone have a recommendation for a fuel pump that would work for a multifuel engine?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've never liked those "chunka" pumps.

Have you looked at the Parker pumps that replace the stock Olympic pumps?

MUCH better IMHO and they are re-buildable too.

dmetalmiki

HOLD ON!, Buy the aircraft fuel pumps which fit directly into the original pump holder, wires, plug, pipes, everything. I have 3 on the shelf as standby. I will obtain the maker tomorrow. (It's 12-30 A.M. now). They all came from over there in the U.S. of A. £55. Each. Super build and top quality. They do rather look like the ones posted prior.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"The Parker fuel pump looks like a major contender. Does anyone know for sure whether the Parker pump head is made of pot metal, or aluminum, or another metal?"

Oh golly.
They were so cheap and you didn't buy a couple of them!
When you see them for sale, then buy them.
One will NOT see a better deal.

Read your SS messages .............................
I am NOT going to send you one for free.
I am NOT going to dissect all mine for studies.........I already did that.

At the $65 bucks that they were, one could just change
them out every year and use for something else, they don't die.
Now they are $106 WITH the entire drop in module,
who cares. the pump is worth it.
Now they are MORE and worth every penny.
Golly it is getting thick in here.
There, I wrote what I needed to say.
I was wrong on a Tuesday one time.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I contacted Parker when I got mine, ill see if I can dig up the info they sent in an email. I do remember they were made for the Bradley fighting machine and were over $1k each new.

Beyond Biodiesel

From this photo, it looks like the base is potmetal. Parker part number 1c-20-10
the surplus parker with red on it aircraft pump is almost exactly the same unit, i think the price ranges in the 60-70 area when i got mine, the one i got i don't think it had ever touched fuel but was listed as used, yea the others are like 400, looks like they've gone up to 75 plus s/h, i stole this image of the one i am talking about as we cant link a active auction and a image will last on the sight longer then posting a completed listing for future searchers
View attachment 709722

Beyond Biodiesel

It would be good to read what you come up with, but yesterday I sent Parker tech support my inquiry, and they have responded with:
Thank you for contacting Parker. We have received your inquiry:

[HR][/HR]Within the next two business days a Parker Customer Care Representative will review your inquiry and assign the proper expert for a response to your question. Please expect to receive a follow-up email from your Parker Customer Care Representative with the appropriate details.
I contacted Parker when I got mine, ill see if I can dig up the info they sent in an email. I do remember they were made for the Bradley fighting machine and were over $1k each new.

Beyond Biodiesel

It does not look like Parker is going to answer my question, so I am going to have to conclude that their fuel pump for the deuce most probably has zinc in its construction; which is not going to work for vegetable oil-based fuel.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
OK
I went and got out my last $1000 Parker pump from the Bradleys.
The bottom is plastic, probably no fuel will harm it.
The output tube is steel, probably no fuel will harm it.
The other things in the pictures one can see where a very good magnet
will not adhere. It has NO freakin pot metal.
Thanks
...........and pictures for the General
IMG_6388.jpgIMG_6389.jpgIMG_6383 - Copy.jpgIMG_6384 - Copy.jpgIMG_6385 - Copy.jpgIMG_6386.jpgIMG_6387.jpg

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
So now,
We Wonder what the original poster of the thread decided to do.
Sometimes thread posters get their data and leave us
in the never know, if it all was worth it or not, and no pictures for the General.
So what did we learn..............
I remain in the quandary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks