• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Choice: Buy M923A2 -OR- Wait For LMTV ?

snowtrac nome

Yeah im very outspoken on the lmtv's. I hate them. You couldnt give me one, i cant count the number of times those turds let us down in iraq. The heat of summer or the cool winter it didnt matter. They would be delivered and then lifted off the trucks and carried to motorpool to sit.
every mechanical rig has its problems. I love the duce, I had been in one since my first permanent party assignment in korea. after my tour in Iraq and dealing with airforce drivers who had no idea how to drive a commercial vehicle with a clutch I started to hate them. The 5 tons had their own set of problems too I still didn't hate them unless I had to work under the dash. For up north I like the hemtt and fmtv the cabs seal nice and the as issued heater works real well. I have driven both a2 and a-3 duces , 5 tons and lmtv's on the snow and ice again the lmtv is much better than the other choices. We only had a few problems with our 3126 powered lmtv's in Iraq one had a bad engine harness,and we lost 2 internal transmission harnesses. I believe it was due to ambient temp as Allison speced the trans to be operated at a max of 100 degrees and during the summer we saw temps rise to 120 degrees we had a lot of convoys come through our fob with 30 fmtv's and only one wrecker I cant say I ever seen one on the hook, not to say it didn't happen that would be stupid. Before getting mine I talked with my old warrant and asked his opinion as he had much more experience than I did he recommended the a-0 over an a-1.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the same boat. Have a great 923a2 that needs to stay stock and ready for parade or charity work. On the hook for a second 923a2 but lye in bed thinking about a lmtv build instead. Overland is the theme. All have great points. Even with land speed as an issue between the two, I think the 5 ton will be the winner with familiarity, common parts, mechanical vs. electronics and its just bad A$$. If you don't mind me asking all of you, what are you seeing for prices on 923A2's? The LMTV's seem way over priced at this time even for non runners.

snowtrac nome

I haven't looked to see what they are selling for lately, but I spent less on my lmtv out of auction than I did shipping it here. The guys flipping military vehicles and snow cats are enjoying good times this year, because of recent weather events those items are in demand and prices are up. I still bet lmtvs can be had out of auction in running order or with the need of very little work for 12 k or less.

sandcobra164

I've driven both models many times and own one, a M923A0 on 14's. I'm keeping mine and not looking. I just wanted to tell a funny story. I drove my 5 ton to weekend drill one weekend. Our Supply Sergeant heard that old "Cummins Rattle" from the 250 under throttle and came running out of the building and starting waving his hands. I stopped, got out and asked what he was doing. He asked, are you coming to get the weapons out of the building? I told him no, the supply truck should be along soon, I'm just trying to make it to formation on time. He said he'd take an old 5 ton anyday over the FMTV's. Could be old man logic but he told me many stories about how much he liked the older trucks. As for my experience, I've had an M1089A1, M1089A1P2 and towed, used and loved the MTV Wreckers in performance of my NG duties. I now have an M984A4 HEMMT Wrecker. No comparison but the MTV Wreckers are good at what they do. Being a cheaper collector, I'd shy away at owning any of the MTV, LMTV series trucks but they are solid trucks. I'm not worried about purchase price. I'd be worried about keeping it on the road price.

branr1

I haven’t closed the deal on the second 5 Ton yet but I’m still working on it. I won another M1102 at a local GovPlanet auction so I only have a 50 or so miles round trip to pick it up. I think I’ll take my 5 Ton this time so I can plug it right in. That makes two M1102 trailers they look a little small behind the 5 Ton but they are both really nice trailers that my F350 can also pull.

lindsey97

I haven’t closed the deal on the second 5 Ton yet but I’m still working on it. I won another M1102 at a local GovPlanet auction so I only have a 50 or so miles round trip to pick it up. I think I’ll take my 5 Ton this time so I can plug it right in. That makes two M1102 trailers they look a little small behind the 5 Ton but they are both really nice trailers that my F350 can also pull.
Take a block of wood or 3 with you, so that you can stack them under m1101 trailer jack in order to get the trailer tall enough to hitch on.

Amer-team

I have towed the M1102 with the M923A0 and don't remember any problems getting it hooked up. Towing is nothing, truck doesn't even know it is back there. It is also a bit of a challenge to back up. I knew it was jackknifed and thought I only needed to go a foot, managed to put a nice ding on the right side of the front panel. Still ticks me off, but lesson learned. The 923 cargo beds aren't very forgiving of aluminum box trailers.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have towed the M1102 with the M923A0 and don't remember any problems getting it hooked up. Towing is nothing, truck doesn't even know it is back there. It is also a bit of a challenge to back up. I knew it was jackknifed and thought I only needed to go a foot, managed to put a nice ding on the right side of the front panel. Still ticks me off, but lesson learned. The 923 cargo beds aren't very forgiving of aluminum box trailers.

nopics

sandcobra164

Closest picture I have Chaplin. This was taken at Durhamtown and the M1102 next to the cabin was pulled by the M923A1. It sits very slightly nose up with the lunnete ring mounted in the "upper" position. I disconnected and we pulled it into position by hand. They roll pretty easily on decent ground. I agree with the statement that the truck doesn't even know it's back there.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks