• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a m818

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was driving my M818 home, ran over some rough train tracks, which knocked some things loose. I barely made it to my driveway, just 75 yards away. I ended up having to call a wrecker, didn't have any other choice. It cost me about $200 and some embarrassment. But I've learned a lot about my truck tracking down and fixing loose ends. The knowledge I've gained from that experience is priceless.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Some years ago, I was headed home with the 819 a tractor WRECKER, dropped the clutch in the middle of town, went to the house which was about 5 miles away to get Swiss's great running m62 wrecker, back to the 819, hooked up, started the tow, made it 1/2 mile then the 62 crapped out, after a hour or so got the 62 going, made it to 1 mile from the house when the 62 crapped again this time for good (found out later that the coil died). Had to call the big hook, we looked like a Christmas parade going down the road with both the 62s and 819s beacons and flashers on as well as the big hooks lights on, the only thing nice about this ordeal was that lights looked great at 10:00 pm, I don't know the cost but I know it was bad, Swiss put it on his cc and just said "you do not want to know"when asked about the cost, I do almost all his equipment repair and what ever else I can build or help with. So things workout in the end.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you guys remind me, connecting the air lines between the tow vehicle and the 800 series does not cause the brakes to actuate, correct?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you guys remind me, connecting the air lines between the tow vehicle and the 800 series does not cause the brakes to actuate, correct?
i would think it would
And I think it DOES!

As I recall...

In my "pre-flight" testing when I recovered our M818, I hooked up the air hoses from the back of the Deuce to the front of the M818, then pulled forward and used the brakes while still on gravel and dirt. She stopped very nicely. I did it again once I was outside the Sheriff's Yard but still on a dirt and gravel street. This time I hit the brakes hard enough to "read" the tire tracks. ALL wheels on both the towed M818 (and the towing Deuce) slid slightly indicating that YES the air from the Deuce DID actuate the brakes on the M818.

Your results may vary. I suppose there could be variations it air-pack functionality based upon many variables - not the least of which would be air/master cylinder/brake fluid level conditions and need for repair/rebuild.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WRONG, they work the brakes on ALL towed 5ts, they DO NOT work the brakes on 2 1/2s unless moded.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah the brakes are just slower to activate and not as strong as towing a M939 truck. In anyone elses case if Ron is towing you with his 819 you will be deaf by the time you get home cause he refuses to put a muffler on that thing.

dmetalmiki

I was driving my M818 home, ran over some rough train tracks, which knocked some things loose. I barely made it to my driveway, just 75 yards away. I ended up having to call a wrecker, didn't have any other choice. It cost me about $200 and some embarrassment. But I've learned a lot about my truck tracking down and fixing loose ends. The knowledge I've gained from that experience is priceless.
Hmm, Well that pesky Scammell had a locked transmission, (coming in to the show) and ALL observers were saying "you won't budge that"..long story short, My M62 pulled that 'beast' ALL ten wheels locked "screaming smoking and protesting" into the show site!.
When I got it home after the event I pulled it up to into and down my driveway with chains and blocks!. (or as I said to bystanders,) "I never paid no one to to do nothing"..(yes I Know double negatives etc!) But, As you chaps always say.." git err' done!".

Lukes_deuce

I know I get rapped getting my f350 dually towed, so I'm looking into the feasibility of keeping this thing. There's not a lot of 5 tons around here, I love it, but I would hate to see what a tow bill for say 100 miles might be.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Not that I am in the Boston area, but I do know there are a handful of guys, especially on the coast and the cape. There are also a few clubs in the NE area. It cant hurt to make some friends and see what else is out there.

74M35A2

This thread consists of mostly broken 809 series stories?

98, why the power cable from truck-to-truck? I would think one could leave the marker lights on, and air pressure from the lead vehicle service line into the towed vehicle service line trips the towed vehicle brake lights? Or, maybe my lack of towing or being towed is showing. One day I'll read a TM....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This thread consists of mostly broken 809 series stories?

98, why the power cable from truck-to-truck? I would think one could leave the marker lights on, and air pressure from the lead vehicle service line into the towed vehicle service line trips the towed vehicle brake lights? Or, maybe my lack of towing or being towed is showing. One day I'll read a TM....

Towlight system that comes on wreckers. So you have turns, tails, brakes, and clearance lights on it. The correct way of using a tow light system. Rather than wondering why some idiot won't move when you want to get over since the rear truck has no turn signals.

There is actually one on ebay with the unobtanium power cord. Better jump to it. Although if you bust another torque rod bushing your going to need a hook truck to pick yours up to get it home and not a towbar.

74M35A2

All that just for turn signals? Pass. I’d just snap the 4-ways on anyway, it better signifies to others to stay back and stay alert, even if they chose not to.

Thanks for the info.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What if the truck is dead in the water with a blown up battery or dead alternator and the batteries are drained all because they didn't get your alternator upgrade? or an electrical nightmare on an unknown truck you just bought.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All that just for turn signals? Pass. I’d just snap the 4-ways on anyway, it better signifies to others to stay back and stay alert, even if they chose not to.

Thanks for the info.
Hmm.

Is this the only law for which you seem to have total disregard?

As I recall, the SS website rules discourage (prohibit) posts about circumventing LAWS.

I believe that if you check the laws in your state, you'll find out the "rules of the game" in which you seek to play.

Just sayin'....

:rules::deadhorse::recovry4x4:2cents:driver::whistle::doh:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hmm.

Is this the only law for which you seem to have total disregard?

As I recall, the SS website rules discourage (prohibit) posts about circumventing LAWS.

I believe that if you check the laws in your state, you'll find out the "rules of the game" in which you seek to play.

Just sayin'....

:rules::deadhorse::recovry4x4:2cents:driver::whistle::doh:
Some states, like Mississippi only require 1 tail light on the towed "vehicle" be it a truck or trailer. Turn signals are optional. I think that is the case in Georgia as well.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some states, like Mississippi only require 1 tail light on the towed "vehicle" be it a truck or trailer. Turn signals are optional. I think that is the case in Georgia as well.
I find that quite curious.
Can you confirm that this applies to towed vehicles of the size/weight of Deuces and 5-Tons, or is it just smaller classes such at passenger vehicles?
Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks