• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a m818

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I find that quite curious.
Can you confirm that this applies to towed vehicles of the size/weight of Deuces and 5-Tons, or is it just smaller classes such at passenger vehicles?
Thank you.
In TN, MS, GA,AR i know private vehicles not fall under the commercial vehicle law requirements. You can be 79,900lbs towing your personal trailer in TN and MS with your personal truck and have air brakes and you fall under the personal vehicle laws. And arent required to have a CDL either

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread consists of mostly broken 809 series stories?

98, why the power cable from truck-to-truck? I would think one could leave the marker lights on, and air pressure from the lead vehicle service line into the towed vehicle service line trips the towed vehicle brake lights? Or, maybe my lack of towing or being towed is showing. One day I'll read a TM....
Unknown auction truck. Certain to have dead batteries. Unknown what else may or may not work.

Wrecker lights give me a certainty of having adequate lighting.

Legal/illegal doesn't come into it. It's just the right thing to do.

Edit removed extraneous material

Last edited:

74M35A2

Understood.

I was pulled over in MI for no trailer lights at night many moons ago. Cop advised me to tape a flashlight I had to the back of the trailer, and said I’m good to go.

In line with what Simp said.

MI also no CDL req if privately owned. Simp even got an interview about it while here. :)

993B2BC4-79A2-4946-AE2A-7C71D015EAA2.jpg

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understood.

I was pulled over in MI for no trailer lights at night many moons ago. Cop advised me to tape a flashlight I had to the back of the trailer, and said I’m good to go.

In line with what Simp said.

MI also no CDL req if privately owned. Simp even got an interview about it while here. :)

View attachment 715298
But michigan also considers you commercial if you take any compensation for hauling something that you don't own.

Edit: Simp was empty when he got stopped also wasn't he ?

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, all jobs done are free. Where’s the grader?
Changed the avatar to my orphan Airedale , that picture is from when it was-10 and he decided he wasn't coming in .
He was a street dog from Detroit, when I got him he was about 6 months old and destroyer of anything he can get his teeth on. He's about 2 yrs now and just go in streaks destroying things , but a really good watch dog . We got him from the 313 animal rescue , they so happy to get rid of him they drove him up to Saginaw and dropped him off . Still got the grader .

cwedge411

This thread consists of mostly broken 809 series stories?

98, why the power cable from truck-to-truck? I would think one could leave the marker lights on, and air pressure from the lead vehicle service line into the towed vehicle service line trips the towed vehicle brake lights? Or, maybe my lack of towing or being towed is showing. One day I'll read a TM....
They are older and we all know what happens to old things lol..

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
But michigan also considers you commercial if you take any compensation for hauling something that you don't own.

Edit: Simp was empty when he got stopped also wasn't he ?
Yeah. I was. I was just not wearing any "military fatigues nor my helmet" so he wanted to know who I was.

unix84535

Tow with my M1087 Stewart & Stevenson or the other way around tow with my 1970 M818.
True. I live in a very rural area and travel with vehicle in the back country area.
Making A Quick Hydraulic Jack system air-powered for Tire changes and air gun air-hose adapter.
To enable remote repairs quickly. Good Luck with your vehicles. Find the trucks to be almost indestructible.
Had one problem with magnetic fuel shutoff on the 1970 M818 but the turn screw on the Unit enabled me to get the truck running by tightening the screw.
Got me home and replace the fuel shutoff switch.

I am currently building a Tow bar for my trucks and jeeps to work with larger pintel attachment.
Happy trails.

Ajax MD

I live in a Liberal, suburban area. I have no wrecker and no FMV friends nearby so if I break down, I'm screwed.

I paid for the roadside assistance plan with Hagerty. They swear up and down that they'll send a commercial sized wrecker to tow me home if break down. I prodded the guy on the phone multiple times to make sure that he understood that this wasn't a little Jeep CJ2.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
True. I live in a very rural area and travel with vehicle in the back country area.
Making A Quick Hydraulic Jack system air-powered for Tire changes and air gun air-hose adapter.
To enable remote repairs quickly. Good Luck with your vehicles. Find the trucks to be almost indestructible.
Had one problem with magnetic fuel shutoff on the 1970 M818 but the turn screw on the Unit enabled me to get the truck running by tightening the screw.
Got me home and replace the fuel shutoff switch.

I am currently building a Tow bar for my trucks and jeeps to work with larger pintel attachment.
Happy trails.
For liability reasons - you might want to spend the bucks to buy a "factory" unmodified tow bar.
AND buy and use the chains that need to be attached on the towing truck and recovered vehicle...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks