• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA number

CMPPhil

Hi

Nice add, gives people an idea how long people have been into MVs, if MVPA has been issuing them consecutively. Will have to look mine up.

Cheers Phil

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Since 1999 or 2000 (I think late 1999).

:)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it interesting that there is such a big difference in numbers between Clinto's and mine, since I joined in mid-2001, only two years later. But I think MVPA was bigger then, around 12,000 active members. Are the numbers issued sequentially? I always thought they were.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of M-series owners don't feel that the national MVPA offers them much. Part of this arose from the thought that MVPA was only interested in WWII vehicles, I know a lot of the local folks thought that, some still do. Same for a lot of folks on here. The MVPA was a bit slow in embracing those vehicles, but have done a creditable job in the last few years.

Many years ago at a convention, I had one of the higher ups in MVPA tell me that M-series vehicles had no historical significance :shock:, and there was no need to be more inclusive of them. I asked him why the membership numbers had declined recently to less than 10,000 while Steel Soldiers had 28,000 active members. His turn to look a bit shocked. I also told him to look around the convention floor and count how many M-series vehicles were there (a lot!). I suggested he embrace them, or watch the MVPA decline into non-existence. Even the simple expedient of adding a couple of M-series vehicles to the banner slide show on the website would help. At that time all the slides were WWII vehicles. It still took several years for that to happen.

I still campaign regularly for MVPA membership, and tell those who complain about it that they have no standing to do so if they haven't joined and done something to change it.

Cheers

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Many years ago at a convention, I had one of the higher ups in MVPA tell me that M-series vehicles had no historical significance :shock:, and there was no need to be more inclusive of them.
Cheers
Unfortunately I just saw this note (I have been WAY behind on my writing for longer than I can remember, and thus not able to spend much time on the forum). I do not doubt that you were told that several years ago (and I even have a suspicion about who said it) - HOWEVER, I have been on the MVPA Board of Directors since 2009, and can say as an absolute fact that this has not been the attitude of the Board during my time on it.

In fact, of the current Board, the vast majority own M-series vehicles (some multiple vehicles - my 18 or so doesn't even make me the owner of the biggest M-series motor pool on the Board!). However, the perception that the Association is a WWII Jeep club persists despite our efforts to remedy this

That being said - our already aggressive campaign to get the word out is stepping up dramatically in the next few months - stay tuned!

In the interim - if anyone has MVPA-related questions feel free to drop me an email (email works MUCH better than PM for this).

Best,
David Doyle
MVPA Publications Director

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks David.
I may not have done a good job of it, but what I was trying to get across was that while there used to be something of a problem, in the years since, the MVPA have done a good job of embracing the M-series vehicles. I don't want anyone to take the quote above out of context, or as an indictment of the MVPA, it was meant as a lead-in to something positive.

The hurdle to leap now being that outside the MVPA the reputation of 'WWII only' had gotten rather firmly entrenched, and carries on to this day. I give you personally a great deal of credit for the way you have changed the content of the magazines, and I'm looking forward to seeing the campaign.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks