• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock tire size

catfish33

What is the stock tire size for the M883? I looked in the door jams and all over the truck but see no sign of what the stock tires were. Need to know so I can accurately figure my mileage (running 36" HMMWV tires currently). Thanks in advance.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the stock tire size for the M883? I looked in the door jams and all over the truck but see no sign of what the stock tires were. Need to know so I can accurately figure my mileage (running 36" HMMWV tires currently). Thanks in advance.
Did you look in the TM's ?

bill3542

my M880 had 9.50-16.5 tires
my swap was to early 90s 16 inch 8 bolt Ford rims and i am running 10 ply LT 265/75 16 tires.
had to change all the lug nuts also, its now sits about 2 inches higher than it did before. these tires just barely clear the front fender.
i know the speedo is off on mine.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........... its now sits about 2 inches higher than it did before. ............
Loaded radius of a BFG size 9.50R16.5 tire: 14.5"
Loaded radius of most any brand size 265/75R16 tire: 15.0"

So, what else was done, besides swapping tires/wheels?

bill3542

Nothing, standing them side by side comparing old rim and tire to new rim and tire there was a 2 inch difference in height.
The Ford rims also are 7 inch wide, original rims were 6.5 inches wide.
maybe something to do with original tires being 8 ply and replacements being 10 ply.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing, standing them side by side comparing old rim and tire to new rim and tire there was a 2 inch difference in height.
The Ford rims also are 7 inch wide, original rims were 6.5 inches wide.
maybe something to do with original tires being 8 ply and replacements being 10 ply.
Ford has several different width rims depending on the year and factory tire size..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks