• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another LMTV RV Build

BuiltMFG

I stumbled across your site a few days ago. Really enjoyed the stuff you're doing. Any work done recently?
Really appreciate it. Yeah I got a few things done and the cab is at about 80%. I'll have to update the blog here in the near future.
Since I store the thing outside and had to renovate a kitchen this winter I took it to the local CAT shop to have some work done. Those items included; installing the AC, block heater, cab bushings, Exhaust temp gauge and fuel lines. Some of this stuff I could have done, but during the winter it was better to have things getting done since I don't have a garage to work on it in.... even though it was costly

Next few items are; door panels, fenders, headliner, seats and some odds and ends. I have a full-time job and I freelance so my workload is constant. There are a lot of people ahead of me that I am fortunate enough to learn from.

BuiltMFG

No sure where to go from here:
Colorado S.B. 19-054

Military Vehicle Motor Vehicle Regulation
Concerning the regulation of surplus military vehicles for the purposes of operation on the highway, and, in connection therewith, making an appropriation.
The bill defines surplus military vehicles as off-highway vehicles for the purposes of titling these vehicles and of using these vehicles off road. These changes in the definition do the following:
A surplus military vehicle may be titled as an off-highway vehicle;
A surplus military vehicle is not registered as a motor vehicle;
A surplus military vehicle is treated as an off-highway vehicle for the purposes of on-road use and off-road use.
These changes do not apply to military vehicles that are valued for historical purposes.

(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb19-054

Reworked LMTV

No sure where to go from here:
Colorado S.B. 19-054

Military Vehicle Motor Vehicle Regulation
Concerning the regulation of surplus military vehicles for the purposes of operation on the highway, and, in connection therewith, making an appropriation.
The bill defines surplus military vehicles as off-highway vehicles for the purposes of titling these vehicles and of using these vehicles off road. These changes in the definition do the following:
A surplus military vehicle may be titled as an off-highway vehicle;
A surplus military vehicle is not registered as a motor vehicle;
A surplus military vehicle is treated as an off-highway vehicle for the purposes of on-road use and off-road use.
These changes do not apply to military vehicles that are valued for historical purposes.

(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb19-054
Digging through this. Does this mean military vehicles CANNOT be used on the road? Does this mean current vehicles registered CANNOT be driven on the road? (Not grandfathered). If this is the case, then you need to Kruse Auctions / Govplanet immediately. Follow the money trail. If they cannot sell Military vehicles, the cannot make money. They will want to fight this.

I don't live in CO, but we DO NOT want ANY precedent like this. Put pressure on the bill sponsors that made this happen. Do so as a group. What is their logic for this bill?

Here is a letter that I wrote tonight to Ritchie Bros / Govplanet:
[FONT=&quot]Hello! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I purchased an LMTV from GOPlanet in the past. I am very happy with my purchase. The service was excellent.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am concerned with new regulations that may impact military vehicle enthusiasts. New regulations in Colorado set a dangerous precedent for military vehicle enthusiasts, and will likely have a negative impact on your sales. No one will purchase these vehicles if they cannot use them on the highway. Please help us stop this type of regulations, through monitoring legislative proposals and advocating for the purchasers of these vehicles at the regulatory level. These vehicles are quite popular with Overlanding enthusiasts, and make up a large portion of auction purchases. Everyone loses if this type of legislation proliferates. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your consideration![/FONT]

Last edited:

wandering neurons

I had my M1081 shipped from Maryland to Colorado when I moved there. The M1081 was titled and registered in Maryland for on-road use. Colorado reciprocated, and I had it titled and registered in Colorado Springs. Since moving from Colorado to Nevada, I did the same thing, and Goliath is now a Nevada titled and registered on-road vehicle. I knew a few others in Colorado with ex-Mil vehicles that had been registered for on-road use.
Did you get it straight from GovPlanet? Have you tried going to the DMV and trying? Mine was registered as a Truck, manufactured by S&S.
Good luck!

Digging through this. Does this mean military vehicles CANNOT be used on the road? Does this mean current vehicles registered CANNOT be driven on the road? (Not grandfathered). If this is the case, then you need to Kruse Auctions / Govplanet immediately. Follow the money trail. If they cannot sell Military vehicles, the cannot make money. They will want to fight this.

I don't live in CO, but we DO NOT want ANY precedent like this. Put pressure on the bill sponsors that made this happen. Do so as a group. What is their logic for this bill?

Here is a letter that I wrote tonight to Ritchie Bros / Govplanet:
Hello!
I purchased an LMTV from GOPlanet in the past. I am very happy with my purchase. The service was excellent.

I am concerned with new regulations that may impact military vehicle enthusiasts. New regulations in Colorado set a dangerous precedent for military vehicle enthusiasts, and will likely have a negative impact on your sales. No one will purchase these vehicles if they cannot use them on the highway. Please help us stop this type of regulations, through monitoring legislative proposals and advocating for the purchasers of these vehicles at the regulatory level. These vehicles are quite popular with Overlanding enthusiasts, and make up a large portion of auction purchases. Everyone loses if this type of legislation proliferates.

Thank you for your consideration!

BuiltMFG

I spoke to the supervisor at the DMV. She was as surprised as I was and she said that a lot of people with Military Humvees were going to be really unhappy... so my assumption is that they will not be grandfathered in but I will call tomorrow and ask... she gave me her direct line and said to call if IO had questions or if I find out new info.

Reworked LMTV. I will send an email as well... no idea what the logic for this bill was but I feel as though I have been kicked in the nuts.

Third From Texas

I spoke to the supervisor at the DMV. She was as surprised as I was and she said that a lot of people with Military Humvees were going to be really unhappy... so my assumption is that they will not be grandfathered in but I will call tomorrow and ask... she gave me her direct line and said to call if IO had questions or if I find out new info.

Reworked LMTV. I will send an email as well... no idea what the logic for this bill was but I feel as though I have been kicked in the nuts.

There is always hope. As long as a single state still allows registration, state's reciprocity mandates that those vehicles are legal to drive in ALL 50 states. One of several good reasons to have a vehicle owned by an LLC (sometimes in a more "friendly" state /wink /wink) and leased to you as a company vehicle.

coachgeo

... One of several good reasons to have a vehicle owned by an LLC (sometimes in a more "friendly" state /wink /wink) and leased to you as a company vehicle.
nice theory but discussions outside of the LLC advertisements, you find talk that pretty much shows state/counties have figured out this ploy and shut down that work around. Most states and/or counties now have legislation that require any vehicle that sits in a particular state/county for X amount of time must then be titled and registered in that state/county no matter where the company that leases it resides. (X= have heard from one month to six months) If you do not; they start accessing regular fines till it is properly registered/titled in that state/county.

Besides.. can't have our cake and eat it too ..... many complain the 9th district court keeps making decisions they say affects the whole country. Everyone gripes cause this is wrong that one court, in one district, can't make country wide decisions..... yet here we are saying it's ok to use a work around of using title/registration in one state to override rules inside state you actually live. IMHO work together to fix the CO issue instead of finding loop holes that eventually pile up into bigger issues.

coachgeo

You can do Vermont, not sure, the other, yourself. Just go online and download forms and produce at least Bill of Sale signed on the forms.. Or title such as FL. Title from Govt. Auction.

You get a title then; that any state must accept.. Granted you will probably still have to jump thru inspection hoops etc. And they may still only give you an off road title in some states (for now).

You can keep it registered in Vermont... Sorta.. Most states require that within Xnumber of days, months vehicle stays in the state, you have to convert to that states title and registration. So driving with Vermont plate you are at mercy of local and state PD/Highway Patrol to enforce this

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Have your mother register it in another state. "She's coming any day now for it officer!"

You can do Vermont, not sure, the other, yourself. Just go online and download forms and produce at least Bill of Sale signed on the forms.. Or title such as FL. Title from Govt. Auction.

You get a title then; that any state must accept.. Granted you will probably still have to jump thru inspection hoops etc. And they may still only give you an off road title in some states (for now).

You can keep it registered in Vermont... Sorta.. Most states require that within Xnumber of days, months vehicle stays in the state, you have to convert to that states title and registration. So driving with Vermont plate you are at mercy of local and state PD/Highway Patrol to enforce this

Reworked LMTV

If it is registered as a commercial vehicle then they might turn the other way. Lots of trucking companies register in other states.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks