• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts for a brake job

Recon1172

Hey guys, I recently bought a 95 6.2 liter Humvee. I'm planning on doing a brake job when the weather warms. I've been doing some research and can't find the answer to the following questions...

1. In the sticky about LEO/FD HMMWV, it says that the front calipers from a 82 AMC Eagle will fit the Humvee. The Humvee uses the same brake gear on the front and back so this would work all around then right?
2. If the calipers fit....does that mean the rotors and pads fit and are a good choice as well? Something tells me that maybe the rotors or pads might be beefier on the Humvee?
3. I have the parts manual and have found the parts on Mac Motors, but where do you guys source your brake parts? Can it be done locally using civilian parts?

Thanks in advance

-Recon

papakb

The AMC Eagle calipers and pads will work for the front rotors and as cheap as they are it's a recommended changeout for the fronts. I've never tried them in the rear and that will be dictated whether you have the standard calipers or the dual pull Wildwood calpiers with the integral rear E brake. Original HMMWV pads are as cheap online as they are in the stores so you can go either way there.

NormB

1. No. Humvee not equal to HMMWV. Eagle front caliper same as military front. Not rear.

2. If, possiby, maybe. MILSPEC’s your best bet for the job. Good question though. Maybe some of the old-times like Retiredwarhorse can chime in. I’ve assumed DoD, although going with the lowest bidder (mostly), generally tests and buys bulletproof to the extent they can with anything that’s going to get manhandled, mistreated by hypersteroidal adolescents and company commanders under impossible deadlines.

Check out NSN-now.com. Enter parts number. You’ll be surprised the range of prices from the places that have them.

3. MacMotors, Hummerpartsguy, Real4WD (Kascar), ANYONE but a guy who advertizes on ePay as Wolfer and a handful of other names out of Augusta, GA. All his shipping prices are weird (that’s a dead giveaway, like $23.71). He sells cheap chinese knockoff crap, much of which isn’t even marked per DoD/TRADOC guidelines but will tell you they’re MILSPEC, then the parts don’t even fit. [don’t ask me how I know].

Several vendors here, guys who’ve just bought several pallets of stuff from time to time and now part things out at really great prices. Fuzzytoaster, Juanprado, 86Humv, EvilDrPorkchop (just off the top of my head).

Take a look here: http://flashoffroad.com/features/PartsCrossRef/partsCrossRef.shtml

Some might make sense, a lot of it is American General H1 HUMMER-specific, not MILSPEC. Yuge difference.

Good luck.

Norm

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just love that good luck thingie as a closing.......................
Military trucks are military trucks.
Military did not ever build anything without a humongous
spare parts MIL-SPEC parts trail on every part that is in that there truck.
With TM'S to die for, and I sure that some did, it would be good
to keep your Toyota/GM/Ford/Military vehical ready to go with the parts it is
supposed to have in it.

This is the biggest complaint from the mechanics,
"just give me the parts as original and I fix it",
otherwise is Chances taken and You pay now and later"
I sure some did.

Action

I thought that, if the humvee hasn't had the rear brake upgrade yet, then it has the same calipers front and rear....
IIRC, the Eagle right caliper is the HMMWV left caliper. Which doesn't matter if you do both at the same time. If your rear calipers look just like the front, you can look at the casting numbers to verify.

ruSSrt

Hey guys,

i'm working on my parking brake right now, and ran in to the issue. I have m998 with original parking brake on the drive shaft. I've noticed that front caliper has some threads stripped off the screw that attaches to cable and one of the holes for the pins that go to the brake pad is egg shaped so pin gets stuck in it.
I found parts to replace it but everyone sells them as complete set front and rear calipers. DO i need to buy them as a set or can i just find front caliper to replace it?

Snapchat-400634625.jpg

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The standard front and rear calipers is a different animal than the parking brake caliper. You will need to find a mil spec or h1 hummer early style parking brake caliper.Epay has new ones available from several vendors complete with pads in the $170 range

[FONT=&quot]2530-01-174-7441 NSN
[FONT=&quot]5590667 AM GENERAL

[/FONT][/FONT]

ruSSrt

The standard front and rear calipers is a different animal than the parking brake caliper. You will need to find a mil spec or h1 hummer early style parking brake caliper.Epay has new ones available from several vendors complete with pads in the $170 range

2530-01-174-7441 NSN
5590667 AM GENERAL

Sorry i did not explain myself well. Parking brake consist of two calipers. One is facing toward front and another one toward rear of the truck. The one that is closer/toward front of the truck has some damage to it. I'm wondering if i need to replace them as a set or can i just replace one part?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive shaft park brake is an assembly making 1 ea. caliper as seen on ebay with P.N. listed above.
Your better off replacing the whole thing.
I never seen a dealer with half of an assembly for sale.
I have a new assembly available cheaper .

ruSSrt

Drive shaft park brake is an assembly making 1 ea. caliper as seen on ebay with P.N. listed above.
Your better off replacing the whole thing.
I never seen a dealer with half of an assembly for sale.
I have a new assembly available cheaper .
Thank you! PM inbound.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks