• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Runaway Multifuel!! Now what do I do?

I bought a 1968 M52A2 with an LDS-465 from a fellow SSer in September. The truck had not run in around 3 years, but run well before that.

In the process of getting the truck running I cleaned out the drivers side tank, replaced some fuel lines, filters and had fuel all the way to the top of the injector lines. I took all the one hole injectors out and replaced them with two hole injectors I got out of an M35A2 LDT. They were tested and working ok according to the shop the were tested at. Although fuel was getting to the top of the lines the pressure was not enough to push fuel through the injectors. I took the fuel shutoff cover off and discovered that the rod was almost completely stuck in the off position. After trying to lube it up, it was still quite stiff but in the open position.

The engine started and immediately ran away. Pulled the engine stop cable, blocked the air intake and turned off the power, still kept running. I pulled apart the fuel lines going into the injector and it shut off after another minute. It ran away for about 3-4 minutes total (so at least I know it runs, lol). No knocking or any odd sounds while it was screaming.

So the big question is, what do I do next? Replace the injector pump? Any ideas or experience with this type of thing?

Thanks, Mik

162tcat

Start in gear and go like **** on it's final ride! Be sure to record for our enjoyment!

Seriously though, was it fuel related run away or oil through the turbo? Lots of smoke out the stack? Check oil level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandcobra164

LDS engines have a no load hi idle of 2800 rpm. Sounds excessive in thought and makes alot of noise in practice but the engine is still mechanically sound afterwards. Not sure how high yours actually made it up to. I used to run my LDT rather hard when I had my Deuce. Mostly 2,600 rpm shifts in the first 4 gears and cruising around 2,300 to 2,400 for hours on end. I'll quote Wreckerman, tougher than woodpecker lips!! I agree with Gimp in your case, free up the fuel lever in your injection pump and enjoy.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start in gear and go like **** on it's final ride! Be sure to record for our enjoyment!

Seriously though, was it fuel related run away or oil through the turbo? Lots of smoke out the stack? Check oil level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stuck fuel control. The air cleaner housing has a port on the side that we connect to the air compressor for fording. That plus stuck fuel control is most likely why it did not shut down when he blocked off the intake air. Also this is why we always leave the fuel shut off cable pulled all the way out and locked when leaving the truck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not an uncommon occurrence

The fuel shut off did not get set right when you put the pull cable control cover back on

you need an engine

Dave
Why does he need a engine?
No mention of rod out of the block , it sounds more like he needs to free up the fuel rod .

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
How much lube oil did it use?
Not sure if this applies to your truck
Do you have the hose #6?
I did read that it will run with sufficient air if that port is open on back of air cleaner.
air intake hose to compressor.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

I’ve seen this exact thing happen. Getting the tension right on that shaft is a science. Even the wrong O rings can make it happen.

Post it in the Deuce forum, those engines are way more prevelant there. They will guide you to fixing it right.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, Post in the correct forum, only.

:deadhorse::recovry4x4::rules:aua

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not an uncommon occurrence

The fuel shut off did not get set right when you put the pull cable control cover back on

you need an engine

Dave
I agree with the cut off did not get behind the fuel control. If that happened and the fuel control was just a tad tight but still moveable he could have left shut down cover off and just used his finger to pull back the fuel control to the 4 o'clock position. Very important that the fuel control moves with no binding at all. Orren I think had the best idea of a electric fuel shut off wired to the master. Fast and easy way if there is a problem. Always check the fuel control if the truck has not been running for awhile as it very easy to check.

Jericho

Free the rod , ensure you have positive cut off and crank it up to idle. Listen , observe, the Engine will tell you if its ok thru its performance and noise. Makes no difference if it were a fuel or oil runaway in the scheme of things, Find the problem , correct it and then when safe recrank it and see how it runs, Not a deuce , BUT, my D-7 had a bad turbo seal, ran away twice, first time it lasted a full minute before I got to it and got it shut down, had been at idle, smoked like a beast, rev ed more than I had ever heard from that cat , but cleaned it up, serviced , sent to shop. Shop CLAIMED they "cured" it, few weeks later, runaway! , no shop this time , r 2 ed the turbo, ran fine for the next 15 years. Never a blip from the engine, Good CAT product. Fix it run it, if its goes TU later change it, Cant hurt it if its already toast, Cant get your moneys worth from it if you change it before you listen to it! Just an Observation!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve seen this exact thing happen. Getting the tension right on that shaft is a science. Even the wrong O rings can make it happen.

Post it in the Deuce forum, those engines are way more prevelant there. They will guide you to fixing it right.
I have never had a problem with the screws being to tight that hold the fuel control in the Head. Also I use the O ring that came with my rebuilt Ambac Heads. Funny though this guy had a problem and not over tightening cured the sticky shaft.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuzZBicUIok

Last edited:
I am having a major issue with fuel entering the oil, to the point where the fuel/oil mixture it is draining from the slobber tube. I emptied 10 gal of oil/diesel from the pan. Would a leaking shutoff o-ring allow fuel to mix with the oil at some point in the IP? Would rather fix that than the other alternatives.

FloridaAKM

Time to pull my HH off again Saturday & see if my button fell off during last assembly. As far as preventing a runaway, the 1" port on the back side of the air filter box will have a 1" heavy rubber hose that leads all the way over to the air compressor to its intake port. I did this to my first Deuce & it worked well as method of stopping dirt from getting into the compressor & plugging up the air hole if you have a runaway situation & are trying to block the air flow. It also helps if you want to get into a highwater fording situation. Wish me luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks