• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 Owner/Operators in KC, Omaha, Des Moines Area?

EDSRAM

Newbie here, first post. Interested in a FLU419, but want to see one operating first. Is there one operating in the Kansas City, Mo., Omaha, Ne., or Des Moines, Ia. area? I've heard of one in the Eddyville, IA area, but nothing otherwise in the area. Thank you for all responses.

Ed

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome, Ed.

You may want to check with General Hood, who's in Oklahoma. Not that I can vouch for his skills as an operator, but he's a nice guy and his SEE does run every now and then.

Or, you can seek out the nearest Case 580C backhoe, then imagine it being mounted on a small raft. At least to me, the wallowing that results from having suspension, and the stock Michelin tires, is what takes some getting used to.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I don't know of any in that area.

Member Profo has a very versatile SEE. It has Air conditioning, Skid Steer quick attachment in the front so he can run a brush grapple and bushhog off the front of the truck. Dang thing even has a hydraulic welder. He is in Louisiana but I am sure he would share pics of his operating. They take some getting used to, Especially driving. ESPECIALLY horrible driving on the stock X tires.

EDSRAM

Thank you to THE FLU FARM and to SIMP 5782, your comments are very helpful. I hope for more information from other forum members, particularly anyone in Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, or Kansas.

Again thank you for your comments.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a road trip, Ed. I have found that I need at least a weekly SEE (backhoe) fix, so I'd gladly let you dig a hole here, just for the heck of it.
As long as I get to do some digging, too, that is.

EDSRAM

bump----, it's been over 30 days and no activity. It doesn't appear to be any active operators in this part of the country. any suggestions beyond long road trips??

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would imagine that most, if not all, videos of FLU419s are on available on You Tube.

If I'm guessing right, you're interested in the SEE and there seems to be quite a few of those videos. Not much if you're after the HMMH, and hardly anything about the HME.

I'm also trying to understand more precisely what you're after. Seeing a Case backhoe in operation that happens to be attached to a Unimog? Or is it to see a Unimog being driven on or off pavement? Or is it watching a basic loader (that happens to be attached to a Unimog) in operation? Maybe some combination of these things?
I had only seen photos on GP before buying my SEE, and later, when trying to learn more about them, read the Steel Soldiers info, the TMs, and watched a few videos. Maybe If I'd done it the other way, I wouldn't have bought one? Nah, just kidding. They're great machines.

I'd think that all the You Tube videos, and the posts and photos on the SEE, HMMH, and HME owners thread, would give you a fairly good idea about what makes a FLU tick, and what they can (and can't) do. You're apparently looking for something more than that, but what?

EDSRAM

I am interested in the SEE for farm work for various jobs:

Using the loader for land clearing, cleaning out fence rows, convert the bucket mounts to use a skid-steer quik-tach to use different
tools, i.e. bale stabber, bale unroller, blade for light dirt work, pallet forks, etc.

Using the backhoe for trench work, setting/resetting bench terrace drop inlets for tile lines, adding a hydraulic driven posthole auger.

Using the chain saw, jack hammer, rock drill.

Difficulty to take off the loader and backhoe to use the SEE as a 'light' medium duty truck, or heavy duty UTV, (half the farm is in permanent pasture and timber,) and to haul grain and livestock trailers.

I see the potential for many uses, but I first want to see the SEE actually working, and measure for myself if it's practical for what I want to use it for. At this point I am just trying to research for more information.

The problem I see with several videos is the operator using it as a "toy" to play with. Also most short videos, (< 2 min,) are just advertising. Specifically I want more detail showing how the loader and backhoe are mounted, i.e. can a three-point be attached using the same mounts and hydraulics as the backhoe?

I am very hands-on, I am wanting to get my 'hands-on' a SEE to see if it will meet my needs. It just doesn't appear to be any in use in my part of the country.

Thank you.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you would be using yours much like I'm using mine (quick attach, ditches, running hydraulic tools, etc.), except for the 3-point.

The military videos show much of what you seem to be interested in, and I think all of it has been discussed in the SEE, HMMH and HME owners thread at least once. And often with photos, tips and tricks as a bonus.
Looking at the illustrations in the TMs on this site should also give you a very good idea about SEEs, how the loader and backhoe attaches, etc.

If you still want to learn more, especially about a 3-point, there's another huge chunk of reading to be had on Benzworld.

Is the SEE ideal for what I'm doing? No. And it probably wouldn't be for you, either, but they do have an awful lot of usefulness in a small package.
And I think they're a heck of a lot more fun than the proper machines for the job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks