• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 shredding serpentine belts

Ecscnvb

Noticed my serpentine belt was in bad shape so I changed it last night. Drove about 5 miles and noticed coolant temp was higher than normal. Got out and checked belt to see it and it was shredded again. Upon further inspection I noticed my harmonic balancer has slid out a half an inch. Had anyone else had this problem?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

74M35A2

Pulley looks to be a direct piece to the crank. Are you sure the balancer has slipped? It can and does happen, but even if so, should not chew up the belt unless it is contacting it. Did you spin all of the accessory pulleys while the belt was off to check for ease of rotation, and wiggle each of them to check for bearing looseness? My guess is you found your balancer slipped, but something else is eating the belt, assuming it was installed correctly. It is very easy to offset the belt by 1 rib or so when installing it on this engine, as you can't see the driver side of the fan clutch pulley. Check both sides after install, and after running it for one minute.

83crankpulley.png

Last edited:

Ecscnvb

All the other pulleys including the belt tensioner spin free. The balancer is about a half inch off the motor and is causing an extreme angle on the belt which is causing the problem

Ecscnvb

Pulley looks to be a direct piece to the crank. Are you sure the balancer has slipped? It can and does happen, but even if so, should not chew up the belt unless it is contacting it. Did you spin all of the accessory pulleys while the belt was off to check for ease of rotation, and wiggle each of them to check for bearing looseness? My guess is you found your balancer slipped, but something else is eating the belt, assuming it was installed correctly. It is very easy to offset the belt by 1 rib or so when installing it on this engine, as you can't see the driver side of the fan clutch pulley. Check both sides after install, and after running it for one minute.

View attachment 715668
In this pic u can see the space between balancer and cover. Look closely and u can see the angle the belt is at...

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Tried to loosen but balancer just spins. Could not get them to tighten. Going to go give it another turn after lunch

Might as well pull the radiator and do the job right. It will probably take an impact to even get the balancer to pulley bolts out. Crank bolt must have backed or fell out. Did you have any vibrations on the truck while driving?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Ecscnvb

Might as well pull the radiator and do the job right. It will probably take an impact to even get the balancer to pulley bolts out. Crank bolt must have backed or fell out. Did you have any vibrations on the truck while driving?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Was thinking impact was next. Was going to pull fan off and try. Called cummins they said there was no crank bolt in the middle, it was just four bolts holding it on. No vibrations that I noticed. Just a couple shredded belts and a rising coolant temp gauge from the water pump not spinning. Can someone double check there is no crank bolt please. I just can't tell cause the pulley has slipped out and I can't tell if there is a bolt there or not. Cummins said no but I thought that was odd. Hers a pic

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was thinking impact was next. Was going to pull fan off and try. Called cummins they said there was no crank bolt in the middle, it was just four bolts holding it on. No vibrations that I noticed. Just a couple shredded belts and a rising coolant temp gauge from the water pump not spinning. Can someone double check there is no crank bolt please. I just can't tell cause the pulley has slipped out and I can't tell if there is a bolt there or not. Cummins said no but I thought that was odd. Hers a pic

What does the parts TM show ?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
All 4 bolts thread into the crank. It has a snout for all the bolts to go into. Which is kinda weird. Most trucks the dampner is threaded and the pulley bolts to it and it is held to the truck by the center crank bolt.

So you will want to get the impact out and take em all off maybe they are backed off or broke. Hopefully that is it. There is a pin in there but that keeps the crank gear in position.

You will want to pull the radiator and see if you cant remove the bolts and balancer .

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

There are 4 perimeter bolts which fasten the balancer/pulley to the crankshaft on 8.3L/ISC engines. 5 bolts are used on an ISL (8.9) engine, this is how one identifies the longer stroker crank/motor. Look closely at the picture I posted, it is from the free Cummins engine parts website using my 8.3L serial number. It is exactly what you have. There is no pin holding anything associated with the pulley/damper, and the crank gear is behind the cover.

I'll post a pic of this area from the ISL engine I have waiting to go in so you can see it, but yours will have 4 bolts in a similar fashion, not 5:

0894DCF5-71EB-4DDE-A773-4A88E9603534.jpg

Ignore the exhaust manifold and Never-Sieze spun out from the bolts during the test run.

Get a mirror up there and see what you have before taking anything apart. You'll probably have 3 bolts missing and 1 severely backed out. Or all 4 missing and the thing is about to jump off were it not for the belt trying to hold it straight on.

This is what your crank snout looks like with no balancer/pulley on it, this is the actual crankshaft, except yours will have 4 perimeter bolt holes (not 5):

cranksnout.jpg

You should probably just pull the engine and put an ISL in. Everybody's doing it.

Last edited:

Ecscnvb

There are 4 perimeter bolts which fasten the balancer/pulley to the crankshaft on 8.3L/ISC engines. 5 bolts are used on an ISL (8.9) engine, this is how one identifies the longer stroker crank/motor. Look closely at the picture I posted, it is from the free Cummins engine parts website using my 8.3L serial number. It is exactly what you have. There is no pin holding anything associated with the pulley/damper, and the crank gear is behind the cover.

I'll post a pic of this area from the ISL engine I have waiting to go in so you can see it, but yours will have 4 bolts in a similar fashion, not 5:

View attachment 715687

Ignore the exhaust manifold and Never-Sieze spun out from the bolts during the test run.

Get a mirror up there and see what you have before taking anything apart. You'll probably have 3 bolts missing and 1 severely backed out. Or all 4 missing and the thing is about to jump off were it not for the belt trying to hold it straight on.

This is what your crank snout looks like with no balancer/pulley on it, this is the actual crankshaft, except yours will have 4 perimeter bolt holes (not 5):

View attachment 715688

You should probably just pull the engine and put an ISL in. Everybody's doing it.
Thank you. All 4 bolts are still there.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are we sure the pulley is not pressed on the balancer, and started slipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks