• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V system and RFID push button start

Mammalian04

You're the man M99821T. I've been working with them on a production ready version and they sent me the prototype. Works great! I'll do a little video and post the link.

tage

I never liked the push button auto start.
My genset has a gcu-10, and I find it annoying. would work very well for those folks that are deleting their control boxes. But that's a tangent.

Mammalian04

There is no push button on this version. You keep your regular starter switch. A bystander would never know the difference except that the truck won’t work if the FOB isn’t nearby. I’ll post a video in a bit.

AOR

Nicely done! I wanted to ask a few questions please forgive me my first HMMWV is currently on its way here now I have not seen it yet. I have a similar model to you 86 HMMWV equipped with the 100 amp alternator overhauled in ME in 2007
I wanted a clean way to tap into the 12 volt system to be able to add some 12 volt circuits. I am assuming it has the dual voltage alternator. I have no plans to alter the starting circuit system. What are the basic steps I would need to do to get to the 12 volt side to connect a relay center into will there already be 12 volts on one of the battery terminals or do I need to do some wiring from the alternator to a battery.
thank you

Last edited:

Mammalian04

OhioHMMWV, just call and ask for Bruce. He’ll get you squared away. They don’t have it up one the website yet.

AOR, HMMWVs are only 24v. There is no 12v side. None of them have a stock dual voltage alternator. SOME people add one and a separate 12 v batteries and others just tie into one of the 12v batteries under the passenger seat before they are series up to 24v if they have a very small load (don’t do this if you have a heavy 12v load). Still, I think the method to avoid most problems is to add a 24v to 12v step down device. It cost a little money and takes up a little room but this way you can keep that between your 12v and 24v systems.

Mammalian04

Hey gentleman, Digital Guard Dawg has the proximity key up on the website for order now. It's been up for a little while but I forgot to update here.

https://digitalguarddawg.com/keyless-ignition/power-sports/dgd-m-24/

It's on their website under "Power Sports". Since it is 24v, it should work for other military vehicles and can probably be adapted for anything else that runs 24v. I'll be ordering another one for my Slantback coming in. Cool thing is that you can key them alike so just one FOB will work to start either HMMWV and both my motorcycles all without having to take a key out of my pocket. Can you tell I'm stoked about this? :)

I'll start a new thread since this version isn't exactly what the title says here but I wanted to let ya'll know here. I'll reference this thread also in case someone wants to DIY but there isn't much reason to as I think the solution is still cheaper through Digital Guard Dawg with all the connectors and such.

Mammalian04

It's about 10-15 feet. If you are worried security while you are close, you can switch the FOB to manual mode. In that mode, you click the button to wake it up and authorize the FOB with the truck. In practice though, I just leave mine in automatic mode so I don't have to reach in my pocket to click it.

It's pretty easy to switch between auto and manual. Just a few clicks of the FOB and hold it down for 5 seconds and it is switched over.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's about 10-15 feet. If you are worried security while you are close, you can switch the FOB to manual mode. In that mode, you click the button to wake it up and authorize the FOB with the truck. In practice though, I just leave mine in automatic mode so I don't have to reach in my pocket to click it.

It's pretty easy to switch between auto and manual. Just a few clicks of the FOB and hold it down for 5 seconds and it is switched over.
Just what I was looking for incase at a school or show etc and I am close to the truck. Seems like a cool deal and great product. Might have to buy one and call it my "father's day present" :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks