• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anyone have a dragon stencil painted on their truck?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the seller ever tell you if they bought the truck out of JBLM, by chance...?

If so, the 5th Battalion, 5th Air Defense Artillery Regiment of the 31st Air Defense Artillery Brigade is nicknamed the "Dragonslayers" and has had a presence at Fort Lewis (JBLM) for quite some time. The logo on challenge coins issued by 5-5 looks similar to the dragon that's painted on your fender. See below.

View attachment 766179
Whoah, that challenge coin is the closest match I've seen yet. The seller said he bought the truck from a guy in Yakima (160 miles SE of JBLM) and the Yakima guy still had the remnants of the auction stickers on the hood & drivers door. JBLM is the only location I've heard of for military surplus auctions in Washington state so logically your dragonslayer lead would make the most sense. Thanks for sharing! I might be able to ask around and see if that unit has dragons that match on their current vehicles .

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the seller ever tell you if they bought the truck out of JBLM, by chance...?

If so, the 5th Battalion, 5th Air Defense Artillery Regiment of the 31st Air Defense Artillery Brigade is nicknamed the "Dragonslayers" and has had a presence at Fort Lewis (JBLM) for quite some time. The logo on challenge coins issued by 5-5 looks similar to the dragon that's painted on your fender. See below.

View attachment 766179
Gary, by chance could you have an example of how the bumper numbers might read for this 5-5 unit?

My tattered bumper number pics are on my computer so I'll post them up later. Maybe you guys could help translate them

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the bumper numbers before they got wire wheeled off and painted over. I couldn't quite make out what they said and the numbers were painted on at least twice on two different layers:

20180214_171429.jpg 20180214_171438.jpg

If I stare at it crossed-eyed long enough I can kinda make out an 'A-14' on the driver's side and maybe a '9-3P-34' on the passenger's side...
20180214_171438_LI.jpg

Do you guys make out anything different?

Last edited:

Terracoma

The new stencils look great!

Thanks for sharing! I might be able to ask around and see if that unit has dragons that match on their current vehicles.
After some more research, it looks as though 5-5 is no longer attached to the 17th Field Artillery Brigade at JBLM, and has since relocated back to Fort Sill, Oklahoma in late 2017... Additionally, there appears to be a Military Police battalion still stationed at JBLM that call themselves either the "Dragon Crushers" or "Dragon Slayers", but I can't find any photos that seem to match the dragon on your truck. The 5-5 ADA challenge coin is the closest thing I've found so far.

As was noted by MWMULES and others above, each battery or company within a given regiment usually has their own distinct flavor, and the original stencil very well could have been a one-time addition during a training or deployment... Just depends how far down the rabbit hole you'd like to go!

I replaced my driver's side seat cushion and the old cushion had a tag that was labeled 'HHC 1-161 INF (M)... I could not find any dragon clues from this as it led to Washington State Army National Guard.
What you found on the seat cushion bottom may actually be the most recent unit to have possession of the truck, as Guard units generally get the older hand-me-down equipment once the regular units upgrade to newer equipment. Guard units also don't seem to put a lot of effort into repainting equipment if they don't have to (probably due to time and cost restraints), so I'm sure they never bothered to remove the faded dragon logos... This unit may have some info on your truck, including previous unit ownership, so it might be worth a try reaching out to them.

1-161 is a mechanized infantry unit organized under the Washington ARNG, and the HHC operates out of the Spokane Armory:

---> 1st Battalion, 161st Infantry Regiment of the 81st Brigade Combat Team

Gary, by chance could you have an example of how the bumper numbers might read for this 5-5 unit?

To date, I've only found photos of 5-5's HMMWVs, and unfortunately, none show the full front of the vehicle.

The bumper numbers appear, left to right: "32AAMDC 31BDE" ~~~~~ "5-5"

5-5_03.jpg 5-5_02.JPG 5-5_01.jpg

However, after reviewing some photos of other Air Defense Artillery vehicles subordinate to the 32nd AAMDC, there is a more consistent pattern:

The bumper numbers appear, left to right: "[Brigade] [Battalion]-[Regiment]ADA" ~~~~~ "[Battery]-[Vehicle]"

31BDE_01.jpg 31BDE_02.jpg 31BDE_03.jpg
31BDE_04.jpg 31BDE_05.JPG 31BDE_06.JPG

Here are the bumper numbers before they got wire wheeled off and painted over. I couldn't quite make out what they said and the numbers were painted on at least twice on two different layers... If I stare at it crossed-eyed long enough I can kinda make out an 'A-14' on the driver's side and maybe a '9-3P-34' on the passenger's side... Do you guys make out anything different?
I'm following your cross-eyed stare for the most part. If we continue to subscribe to the idea that equipment in the PNW with a max speed of 50 or 55 never strays far too from home, theeeeen... I found a US Army field artillery history book that shows a 34th Field Artillery that was active at Fort Lewis from 1972 until 1986, thus:

---> 3rd Battalion, 34th Field Artillery of the 9th Infantry Division

The "A-14" should denote that it belongs to Battery A and is the 14th vehicle in order of march... But in light of the above, I believe that the "P" is actually an "F" with some paint chipping or overspray causing the confusion. TB 43-0209 establishes that the letter "F" denotes a service designation of Field Artillery, and per an example on Olive Drab's website that I've quoted below, I think that an "F" makes more sense in this case than a "P".

U.S. Military Vehicle Markings said:
10 2F7C 2 10th Infantry Div., 2d Bn of 7th Field Artillery, Battery C, 2nd vehicle

Last edited:

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary, thank you for doing all of that research - this is a wealth of knowledge and history! My truck is titled as a 1979 so it could definitely have been part of that 9-3F-34 unit at Fort Lewis. I'm thinking that with a 40 year old truck it's possible that the dragon and the bumper number unit may not be related to each other. It could be that the truck stayed at Fort Lewis after 1986 and was part of a dragon mascot group like the 5-5 ADA its second time around. The previous owner bought this truck in February 2015 from the guy in Yakima and no one knows how long that guy owned it for but it was in civilian hands prior to the 5-5 returning to Fort Sill it sounds like.

As far as the vehicle markings example goes, my bumper looks like it had the same naming convention except with hyphens added in so instead of 9 3F34 and A14 it reads 9-3F-34 and A-14. I buy that as a sound conclusion and if those numbers were only relevant until 1986, maybe the dragons appeared after that. Is it common for units that relocate, shut down, or dissolve to leave their vehicles on base for the next group?

I know a guy who is an active member of the 1-161 out of Spokane so I will ask him next time I see him if he has any way of looking into their former vehicle lineup.

Guyfang

Staff member
Why don't you simply write the unit an E-mail? Ask them for a picture of bumper markings and Logo. Tell them you wish to honor their unit by restoring your truck to look like theirs. The bumper numbers in the above pictures look just like when I was in ADA here in Germany. I spent 18 years in the 32nd AADCOM, forerunner of the 32 AAMDC. First in HAWK and then in PATRIOT. The sister unit to 5-5 ADA is here in Kaiserlautern, Germany. They are a PATRIOT unit. The unit shown above it a PATRIOT unit.

Reactions: HDN

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked all the posts before adding to this thread. One of the time honored military gotchas involves “tagging”. All my time in service was spent on helicopters. When you visit a base with one of your birds, the challenge was to tag the visitor with your unit “tag” it could be a sticker or a stencil. The best tags were the ones not easily found. Tagging underneath a seat cushion, inside a compartment on a rotor blade, inside the crew chief box all were good locations. I tagged one of the helicopters from my squadron I served in the Marine Corps. I painted green feet all over the place!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter

My truck has two air filters because I'm planning to install a turbo in the near future and that turbo sits in the spot where the heater should be. Because the heater will have to be relocated to the driver side I decided to give myself a challenge and put the heater in the driver side air canister. Until the turbo is installed the heater is sitting inside the passenger side canister.
Here is my write-up on it: Heater in a can

20180920_173309.jpg

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a 5-5 ADA challenge coin and picked it up because of its prospective yet unconfirmed tie to my trucks history / stencils. People have been asking about the stencils lately so it'll be fun to have a conversation piece to show them and talk about my truck's origin suspicions.

20220427_164840.jpg

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2nd challenge coin for 5-5 ADA arrived today and it shows Korea as its location. I don't know if that would be a deployment or more like a permanent station. Either way these are pretty interesting.

20220429_155238.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2ID hasn't had organic ADA in quite a while.

35th ADA BDE is the commanding organization for 2-1 ADA Bn and 6-52 ADA BN right now.

210th Fires BDE did not contain any patriot. They may have contained an Avenger unit, but I don't think they did.

Guyfang

Staff member
5-5 ADA, which is a part of the 31st ADA Brigade at Ft. Sill, Okla. was first constituted June 13, 1861 as Battery H, 5th Regiment of Artillery. Since their creation, they have been reorganized multiple times and saw combat during the Civil War, World War II, and Korean War. On Oct. 1, 2005, they officially became 5-5 ADA and moved from Korea to Ft. Lewis, Wash. Since then, they have supported combat operations in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks