• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to WW2 Dodge trucks

Bill Holbrook

Hi guys pleased to be, yet nervous as ****. I have found an old wc51. The only real problem is the bed is rough. The cab is painted alone with the fenders and frame. Big question is the bed, does anyone make panels for them? I have not found any online. I have found some good suppliers for other parts just sheet metal seems to be a big negative.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. No real suppliers of reproduction steel bed patch panels. Most of us just have a local sheet metal shop fab up what is required. Which generation bed are you working with? I think there are 4 versions that addressed the steel shortage, adding wood pieces.

Bill Holbrook

Its a 1943 wc51, but i was told the bed was an early model. I have got the truck yet. I didnt know if it would be worth it if i couldnt find the bed. They are asking 1800 and it has alot of the parts. Im good at mechanical work. But i dont know if it would be worth it if i cant find a bed. I would love to put it together, i love thesr old dodges.

Bill Holbrook

Thats not my problem, i need to find a donor bed or at least patch panels. It comes witj a bed but it has alot of dents and several spots of rust. The cab fenders and frame are all good.

Bill Holbrook

I was looking at several sites online. I found alot of parts which really surprised me. I have looked at a few of the restored vechicals and it always leaves my mouth drooling. I hope i can achieve what alot of you guys have already done. I have a few physical hurdles and im going at it alone but i really want to build one. You could say a rebuilt vet attempting to rebuild a vet lol. If all else fails, I guess i could build a flat bed but that just seems so wrong.

Bill Holbrook

Thanks tankdriver, i appreciate the info. I have called and talked to both. Very nice people. Neither had a cab. Got everything else i need. VPW told me they had m601 cabs that could fit. Anyone ever done this? Thanks for the info, im new so i havent made any contacts yet. From what ive seen so far its confusing. The MVPA sounds great. Do they have a swap meet and show? As soon as i figure out how to post pics i will get a few up. Dont laugh it was a farmer who owned it since it left the service.

Bill Holbrook

Ok i just relized i put my comments on the wrong post. But i guess the same. Vpw says the m601 open cab would fit on my 41 wc frame and front clip. Anyone done this or know anything tha would help.

tankdriver

Thanks tankdriver, i appreciate the info. I have called and talked to both. Very nice people. Neither had a cab. Got everything else i need. VPW told me they had m601 cabs that could fit. Anyone ever done this? Thanks for the info, im new so i havent made any contacts yet. From what ive seen so far its confusing. The MVPA sounds great. Do they have a swap meet and show? As soon as i figure out how to post pics i will get a few up. Dont laugh it was a farmer who owned it since it left the service.
Yes, you can spend DAYS at the swap meet. Last year it was at the old Cleveland Tank Arnsal bldg, and over 14,000 people came through. Don't miss it.

Bill Holbrook

Ok im confused on the engine id #. I have looked at several different sites and my numbers dont seem to match any year if im doing it right. My # is 0MU316 what year does that make my engine? Any help would be great thanks.

tankdriver

Ok im confused on the engine id #. I have looked at several different sites and my numbers dont seem to match any year if im doing it right. My # is 0MU316 what year does that make my engine? Any help would be great thanks.
OK, here is a copy of my build card from Dodge. You can see the engine serial # on it.

build card.JPG

Here is the serial number to show where and what it looks like.

IMG_1455.jpg

Dozerman51

Look below the distributor. There should be some numbers cast into the block around that area. In some years, the foundry casted the month, day and year the block was made. Also to the rear of the those numbers on the block, just above the oil pan, the block casting number(which is also the part number)should be there. Let us know what those numbers are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks