Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FLU419 SEE, how much did you buy yours for? and some other questions

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hermannator View Post
    The guys transporting mine, moved it in the middle of the night from one trailer to another and I had to hire a crane to remove it from the trailer They did some damage and I had it dropped at the local afreightliner dealer....which was a mistake. It sat for 9 months waiting for parts and repairs until I finally ordered parts myself and found someone to help me with repairs.
    Ouch! Did you not know about this forum before starting the repairs, or did you not have time to deal with it yourself?
    I find SEEs very interesting to work on because it's so educational. I love to learn, and have never had a vehicle with so many different types of systems wrapped into one.

These days I'm at the point where I work more with them than on them, but the occasional issue still keeps popping up and keeps me on my toes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The FLU farm For This Useful Post:

319cssb (02-05-2018)

General
    Thanks

I expect anyone that doesn't have a sense of humor and mechanical/electrical/hydraulic/pneumatic diagnostic skills are not well suited to a SEE. I find I spend far more time trying to diagnose issues than actually getting my hands dirty. The student manuals that someone graciously contributed and General Hood's find of the Electrical Diagrams really helped me in understanding the systems (they are in the misc tech bulletins section on this site)

In the past I have seem some posters who popped up that apparently did not have the key attributes and were quite frustrated to the point where they claimed they were going to strip out all the complex systems and make it simple. They tend to appear and burn brightly for a few posts and then disappear. Maybe they are happily digging away with their Frankensteined beast but far more likely is its sitting somewhere dead or listed on Ebay. There have been a few folks that ended up with less than ideal first SEEs and doubled down then ended up with a better one and resigned the original one to a parts vehicle.
    Unimog SEE, Unimog 1300L Ambulance (for now)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peakbagger For This Useful Post:

319cssb (04-15-2018), The FLU farm (02-05-2018)

Thanks

Got mine on govdeals. Probably paid a little to much at $ 16000. It was relative close to me and they had a road legal title. I had it shipped for $ 750 and then taxes and fees to get it on the road. Looks pretty good inside and out, ( not great) . It sat for several years. After I figured out how to prime it it started right up and ran smooth.

It needs a couple of hydraulic hoses, no leaks but in need. Alternator did not charge but figured it out.
    for sure a realy cool piece of equipment, a useful toy to me and with it being road legal I drive it around, It get you some looks.

Later J

Thanks

Depending on hours and overall condition, $16K may be a bargain these days.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The FLU farm For This Useful Post:

joeblack5 (05-13-2018)

Thanks

Thank you FLU Farm, eases my mind a little. Noticed another flu / see owner group on this site. Any preference where to post?
    Later J

Thanks

Most of the info is on the main thread (SEE, HMMH, HME). If you haven't plowed through it yet, plan on a few evenings of reading.
    Keep a note pad handy, too.

Private
    Thanks

I live in Austin and was wondering how to get in touch with ricky.

Private
    Thanks

I got mine out of Ohio, delivered to Arizona for $27,000. It all works and is more or less a toy for me. I have 500 acres and it's a blast to drive around, kind of like a big 4 wheel drive marshmellow. I have all the tools and have yet to try them. What's it worth? I've seen them for $8,000-$25,000, I wouldn't sell mine for $35,000. You can go online and print many government publications for them, I have maybe 1500 pages that tell everything.
    Good Luck !

Thanks

From the opposite end of the spectrum, I got my second SEE (intended to be a parts car) directly from GP for $5,200 if memory serves me. Delivery was another $1,600 or so, and it didn't come with anything but the ripper.
    My first one came with all the tools, and then some, but so far I've only used the pavement breaker, once, and for a short time. On the other hand, the 3/4" and 1" impacts I bought separately has seen quite a bit of use.

In almost every way, that "parts SEE" was better than the one I had been using, and it's much less of a marshmellow. Would I sell either one for less than $35K? Absolutely. But only if I could convince Josh to sell me the quite nice one I sold him, and for the same price.

Bottom line, Lasvegasron, these machines are great, I think, and I have learned an awful lot by owning and operating them.
    Glad to hear that you, too, enjoy yours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2