• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone swap out their steering wheel?

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Has anyone done a steering column swap, or partial swap in order to eliminate adapters and maybe have a center horn button, other options for controls?
I've been thinking about that as part of the upgrade to a less military look and function.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dorman provided this info:
Dorman 924-5234 Specs
36 spline, 23.62mm OD

This is the steering that Sean has on his truck Abel.
This is the one that I just put on. Much better than the old one. However my seats are aftermarket and they are mounted 2 inches higher than stock.
So far so good.
Blair

Third From Texas

Has anyone done a steering column swap, or partial swap in order to eliminate adapters and maybe have a center horn button, other options for controls?
I've been thinking about that as part of the upgrade to a less military look and function.
It's on my to-do list.

I was told on here that it couldn't be done.

If you've ever peeked up the steering column from under the cab, you see that it most certainly can be done.

I've built plenty of off-road cars back in the day. You can run a steering column pretty much anywhere you want on a vehicle with the right geometry.

Modifying a truck to something nicer will be a piece of cake. A bit of fab work and you'll have *real* tilt and telescope, cruise control, horn, p2t mic key, cel phone control, etc, etc, etc...

charlesrg

I also wanted to go with buttons on the wheel. Looks like VIP Wheels has some options that could work but I'm still trying to get an answer from VIP Wheels,
So far a quick option is to get a Modular Hub/ Steering wheel from Steering Creations:
HUB https://www.steeringcreations.com/search.php?search_query=830
Wheel https://www.steeringcreations.com/steering-wheel-1/
However they don't have the same raise that the VIP wheel does.

For buttons I was thinking about just wiring the wheels buttons to a wireless sender and putting a receiver under the dash. There are wireless receivers that the battery last for years so this way I could add cruise control and horn to the wheel.

Third From Texas

I'm a retired IT system admin and one thing has never changed. If you can avoid wireless in *any* situation, then you hard-wire it. Wireless presents all sorts of failure and interference problems (dead battery, lost signal, device not connected, yada, yada). Wire it and be done with it.

For situations where no wiring is channeled thru the steering column I've used this approach on a number of off-road cars. Sort of an old-school hack, but it works great.

I basically take an old 5-pin mic plug with a coiled cord (any number of pins depending on the number of buttons, etc). Mount the female connector to the dash (near the steering column) and wire the cord to the switches on the wheel.

Plug it in and done.

*the disconnect is to allow steering wheel removal (a lot of off-road cars use quick-disconnect steering wheels)

Attachments

charlesrg

Not really set on wireless, the wired option looks good too, our wheels need a couple more turns than the racing cars but it should be fine.
If using wireless I would use something like an ESP32 with Zigbee for ultra low power and just put items that are not mission critical like the cruise control start, maybe a volume/up/down.

I just noticed there is a option for horn in the end of the turn signal.
1606347329822.png

spankybear

Not really set on wireless, the wired option looks good too, our wheels need a couple more turns than the racing cars but it should be fine.
If using wireless I would use something like an ESP32 with Zigbee for ultra low power and just put items that are not mission critical like the cruise control start, maybe a volume/up/down.

I just noticed there is a option for horn in the end of the turn signal.
View attachment 819140
OK... That hash has me intrigued . Can you tell me about it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks