• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military "CB" Radio

79f250guy

Does anyone know of any military radios that will broadcast on "CB" frequencies (26.965-27.405) i believe the german SEM-35 would work but any easier radios to find? looking to run a "military" looking radio in my hmmwv that can work as a CB

Augi

Any HF set that goes to 10m will do it. Legally is another question. You're supposed to be limited to 4 watts AM or something.

Augi

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know of any military radios that will broadcast on "CB" frequencies (26.965-27.405) i believe the german SEM-35 would work but any easier radios to find? looking to run a "military" looking radio in my hmmwv that can work as a CB
The SEM-35 (and SEM-25) are FM radios. CB is AM (or SSB). Otherwise the SEM radios are nice radios and cover 6 meter and 10 meter Amateur bands.

79f250guy

Love that Stoner radio but seems like its an expensive unicorn. Did not realize the SEM-35 was FM that was just a quick google search. I thought about trying to make a gutted case with a cb internals. I was just reading on Radio nerds about integrating the AM-1780 into a civi radio with some circuitry. i wouldn't mind that. I am really looking for a trail radio that still fits the military look in the hmmwv. I actually just bought an AM-1780 and am looking for a couple crew stations and H-161 headsets and corresponding cables if anyone has a good source for that stuff I'd appreciate it. I may end up starting a new thread for that. Thank you for all the help thus far

aleigh

Not American, UK, but widely available is the Clansman (PRC-320). Notably it does AM which is lacking in many of the US units which were SSB and CW only.

Will be, strictly speaking, illegal to operate a military radio on CB because the individual radio has not been type-accepted by the FCC for that service. You can use military radios with the ham radio service because it is the ham radio operator who is "accepted", not the radio.

Wire Fox

You would still run into the legality issue aleigh mentions, but another radio that could work is a PRC-138. But, this radio would be a hellish amount of overkill for the job. You'd be about $7,000 deep in radio, mounting hardware, and supporting devices to use about $50 of radio functionality.

I think my best recommendation would be to get a rugged-looking CB radio and bolt it into the stack and use the 1780 as the main input-output for the audio, like you plan. It will look and function solidly, and not absolutely devastate the bank.

Charcoal01

I took an PRC 25 T (TADIRAN) and it works on a few CB FM Cannels.The Frequencies start at 26 Mhz.See my Thread "PRC 25 Buzzing".Here in Germany we have up to 80Channels CB in FM and AM.I also worked years ago with a PRC 9,but it was not so good,low Modulation,scratchy too,the AFC is not very stabil.I have a SEM 25 too,but the Channel Steps are,with the 50khz,not compatible to the CB Frequencies.So,this Prick 25 and my RT-67are the Best working Army Radios to work on some CB Channels.
In Germany we mostly use FM Mode.

Last edited:

papakb

Radios like the PRC-104, 132, 138, GRC-193, 213, 215, and 220 will all operate in the 11 meter band, expensively. A cheaper option would be a PRC-8 or an RT-66.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instead of looking for an option that can result in a $10K fine, maybe you should look at taking an inexpensive and common CB radio and making it look more military. Some OD green paint and a couple fake rack handles on base-station CB would give you the "look", keep you legal, use common antennas and accessories, and be much cheaper overall.

Is the OP still around even?

Example: Take this radio (operates on 12v) and pull the knobs off. Then mask the display, mask the push-buttons, mask the mic hole, and plug the phones hole. Then cut out small bits of tape to cover the words and such, then blow some OD green over the whole thing.

Attachments

Last edited:

papakb

Mainsail, I couldn't agree with you more! 30 years ago I did just that with a couple of old Midland CB sets that I think I paid around $15 for but for some reason people all want a "military CB" of which there aren't any.

Rainman

In the early 70's, while on active duty, would set up an 11 meter long wire antenna and fire up a running spare AN/GRC-106 in a retrans rig. We could catch the skip and talked mostly into the NW states from Texas. First Sgt was a ham operator, and even fessed up years later at a reunion. He thought it was "great training" A 106 is awful lot of radio just for talking 11 meters.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the early 70's, while on active duty, would set up an 11 meter long wire antenna and fire up a running spare AN/GRC-106 in a retrans rig. We could catch the skip and talked mostly into the NW states from Texas. First Sgt was a ham operator, and even fessed up years later at a reunion. He thought it was "great training" A 106 is awful lot of radio just for talking 11 meters.
In the 80s we used to fly up the east coast from Charleston AFB headed towards europe, and I would use the Collins 400 watt aircraft HF radios to talk to the CBers in the northeast. I think that wasn't allowed. Anyway, 400 watts with a 37,000 foot antenna spills out over the entire eastern seaboard and I would have dozens of people (who couldn't hear each other) trying to get in to me. I had a few regulars and we'd switch to a split channel (like 40½) and upper side band.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks