• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving Hmmwv in snow

911joeblow

One thing I noticed is the rear brake bias is such that it locks the rear brakes first in the snow. That can be interesting but controllable if you are expecting it. I also had slightly better luck in HL than H on slick roads with a couple inches. I just left Chicago so I'm glad I'll miss it!
We have a blog coming out shortly all about this issue. We have a nice, cheap, bolt-on fix for this coming shortly too :)

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 718557

Well, the snow was a lot of fun! The Hmmwv drove like I kinda expected it to. I spent the day trail-driving through about 12-16" snow in H/L and as long as you kept rolling it was just fine. It took awhile to get used to the understeer in the deep stuff, lower air-pressure helped this some. I did not weigh down the cargo area, but suspect that would help too. It did run hotter than I thought- up around 235-240- maybe from the wheels spinning a lot, and rpm 'spikes'? It did cool off once I got back on road and just ran it at a level rpm. (The fan never came on- should it have? not sure) Pumping the brakes lightly, and using the gears to slow down got me traction, and stopping. All in all a good time. Thanks for all the responses- helps stay safe for sure.
Under those conditions I would expect the fan to come on yes. Are you saying it comes on otherwise or only didn't during snow? During short intervals and low demand (low throttle) it might be clutched in and you can't hear it. The clutch allows the fan to be driven at engine RPM, a direct connection. It can be clutched in and you can't hear it like during full-speed runs where it's more noticeable.

If it's supposed to clutch, and really isn't, you should check it out and figure out the cause. She'll thank you.

Also, are those Dog ears in the picture? If so, lucky dog!

Bulldogger

alphaseventwo

I have yet to see the fan come on at all ever (but you may be right in that it is on and I don't hear it.) Except when I disconnect it from that control module, then it defaults to the 'on' position, runs just fine. I have previously installed a new thermostat, so I'm pretty sure coolant is flowing. I was thinking of running it at idle until it got up to a 'hot' temp, just to see if I could witness the fan engaging or not. I'd think a new temp sensor would be next? Not sure, planning on hitting the TMs soon. It does not run hot during normal, on-road operation. And finally, yes, that is Maxi- self-declared owner and protector of the Hmmwv! She loves that truck, I can't turn it on without her charging from wherever to get in and go!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best check that fan circuit better then. It definitely should be coming on at temp. The Tech Manual will walk you through it. Could be a lot of things, either the sensors, control or the Cadillac valve itself. Mine stuck on, but careful disassembly and cleaning and it's been fine ever since.

Overheating will kill her. I hope you can figure it out.

Bulldogger

commofreq

Just took my M998 on its maiden voyage down the driveway. Tires are still standard-issue Goodyears, 4 ea.

The driveway is kinda steep. The snow was plowed away leaving sheet ice. Verdict?

It seems to handle snow just fine. Ice? I went sliding down the hill. Considering getting them siped and maybe even studded. But that would mean buying a 2nd set of tires $$$$. Would hate to have to use chains each time I want to take it down the hill.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ice is so unforgiving it's hard to imagine the advantage of siping but the ice racers/ rally drivers do it so....why not?

Any grip we can squeeze out of rubber would help until we give in and add studs, then chains. We finally outlawed studded tires on public roads but in the good old days, studs were everywhere. The spark shows at night were spectacular.

We'll be plowing off the lake soon and I'm running some newer Muteki Trail Hog siped rubber so we get to do some comparisons. I tried to get BF Goodrich mud terrains without siping but was convinced by the Kal tire team to give these a try. We'll see.

Not sure if the HMMWV toys will get to the ice but there's a new M923 in town that hasn't beat my M135 in an ice race....unless you're driving up for cold weather testing?

VermontPrepper

This M1028A2 has the standard military Humvee tires. They absolutely suck in the snow, especially in light to moderate snow. I live in VT and have extensive snow driving experience. It has 4.88s, ORD twin shift, Detroit locker rear and Yukon locker in the front. I bit the bullet and just ordered Super Swamper Trxus M/T Radial Tires - 6 of them, almost 3k for the 37x12.5r16.5s. I read some really positive things about winter driving with them. But I can tell you all that the standard Goodyear M/T 100% sucks in winter. Tire is too hard and treads are too wide for snow/ice. I cant even get up a small incline in my driveway in the snow - awful. Hope this helps. If interested, I posted a video of some thoughts and some snow driving, as well as the regearing I just did.

https://youtu.be/SVTTcXxmEr8

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks