• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2018 Ga. Military Vehicle Rally info thread. Oct. 17-21, 2018

profo

I will be there with the coffee tent if Mike did not make it I would have no power and no coffee ever body needs coffee in the morning .
Lil Honda will be running 24/7 and coffee pot hot, tony come see us at Lmtv , will have cracklings and boudin too got keep the heart struggling!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
What about good old Cowboy Coffee?

View attachment 744688
See....that's how you dern Texans are!!!

There's only gonna be one of you at the Rally and you're already trying to turn it into mud drinkin, doggie ropin, camp fire singin cowboy hoopla!!! I guess you wanna sing "Da Camp Town Ladies" around the fire too...HUH?

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Camp Town Ladies" nah, I plan on singing The Eyes of Texas. I do all my singing in the shower and the shower in the Armadillo Palace is small so I will just have to pass. :???::???::???:

sandcobra164

I'll be bringing one of Papabear's generators if they get power back to my house beforehand. It's been powering my deep freezer, refrigerator, dehumidifier and microwave for a day now. Even comes with less than a week old non-ethanol gasoline! You know my better half needs her coffee Sir!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'll be bringing one of Papabear's generators if they get power back to my house beforehand. It's been powering my deep freezer, refrigerator, dehumidifier and microwave for a day now. Even comes with less than a week old non-ethanol gasoline! You know my better half needs her coffee Sir!
Dion has another one of mine down in Plains, Georgia...I only have 4 left!! (And no...I don't have any for sale):papabear:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least you missed him Gary! I bet they needed to go home and clean up.
I just about had to go clean up as well! I got my brakes fixed today. A steel brake line that appeared to be in good condition split open. All I had left was the front brakes. Fortunately I had an A3 with split brakes.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be there with the coffee tent if Mike did not make it I would have no power and no coffee ever body needs coffee in the morning .
I'm planning on coming, having purchased about $700 of the food (all of the dry goods and most of the WalMart part of the perishables) and made arrangements for the sirloin steaks we will be cooking for Saturday night. It's all loaded in the pantry truck right now, with both refrigerators plugged in and running. All the power cords are loaded as well, with the splitter box (power distribution box) and 'the box' (20 mm ammo can filled with power adapters).

sandcobra164

Dion has another one of mine down in Plains, Georgia...I only have 4 left!! (And no...I don't have any for sale):papabear:
They have power at the Marine Base so we went there to take a shower. Before I left I chained and locked the generator to the porch just in case. It's still here but may have some scratches to the paint now on the bottom corner of the tube frame. Thanks kindly Sir!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I want people to see what goes on behind the scenes with putting this event on.

The rally owns a bunch of surplus handwashing stations. They were used when we got them and we've had them for awhile. And Durhamtown has stored them for us in previous years. But last year when we showed up, most of them were non functional, due to less than ideal storage conditions. We fixed what we could and dealt with it, making plans at the 2017 event to take them home and store them ourselves to keep this from happening again and refurbishing them.

I took them apart about a month ago. My Father, whose health has been less than ideal for the last couple of years, wanted to get out of the house and offered to help and luckily, felt up to it.

We stripped them down to their core components and found dirty tanks, broken foot pumps, damaged 90° fittings, cracking hoses, etc.

At this point, we decided to go all in and get them as good as we could, since new ones are $800 each and we have 7 of them. So at a replacement cost of $5600, we needed to make these last a little longer.

First, with them stripped down (no easy task, lots of bolts broke due to corrosion), I cleaned out all of the tanks. There's a fresh water tank and a grey water tank. I filled the tanks up with cleaning solution, put them in the bed of the truck and drove them around for a couple of days (as I couldn't get a brush inside them due to how they're shaped). Once they'd soaked, I thoroughly washed them out, then stuck the pressure washer nozzle in to try and catch anything. Once all 14 tanks drained clean water, I pressure washed the heck out of all the exteriors until they were spotless. I replaced all 14 foot pumps with new units, using new hose, new hose clamps, new screws, etc. Every fastener got anti-seize to try and keep the problems of stuck fasteners from happening the next time.

Due to changes in the production items since these were built, I had to trim the ends of the 90° fittings and one of the straight fittings on the foot pumps. Very time consuming.

The hoses are held in with clamps at the top and the clamps are riveted in, so I had to cut off 14 rivets and replace them with screws and nuts.

With all of this done, I had to put all of this together.

All told, I have about 3 days in this. My Dad has 2 days and one of our friends helped the last couple of hours.

I hope people understand the monumental effort that goes on behind the scenes, all throughout the year to make all of this happen. There are volunteers doing an immense amount of work, throughout the entire year, doing things to make the event go smoothly.

This year, there will only be one waiver to sign at registration, instead of two. This took a lot of time on my part, going back and forth from D-town, our attorney, etc. To get two companies to agree on a legal document is like getting congress to pass a budget.

SCSG-G4 has to do a literal mountain of work to get the MKTs (X2) and deuces that pull them (X2) to the event. Preparing two MKTs (cleaning, loading, etc.) and two deuces (PMCS) is a lot.

RustyJunk draws t-shirts and has to come up with something clever, then draw it, then deal with the t-shirt company to make sure they can reproduce it in sufficient detail. He also begs local vendors to sell or donate something for us to raffle.

In order to try and make the cost of the t-shirts cheaper, RustyJunk and I did a bunch of yardwork for the guy who owns the t-shirt company. I don't like yardwork.

Recovry4x4 has to create a functional and efficient high speed, low drag office to process 200+ attendees who show up, sometimes in groups.

There's a lot that goes into this.

Thanks

C

Here's the before. Skanktown.

20180926_121718.jpg20180926_121722.jpg20180926_132928.jpg20180926_132936.jpg20180926_132941.jpg20180926_132949.jpg20180926_133006.jpg20180926_185026.jpg20180926_185029.jpg

washing (yes, I used the dishwasher-all my cats said their food tasted like rally dust and they aren't happy about it)

20180926_132955.jpg20180926_133000.jpg20180926_133003.jpg20180926_173403.jpg20180926_220820.jpg

Reassembly

20180926_212554.jpg20181014_133019.jpg20181014_122921.jpg20181014_122913.jpg20180926_214840.jpg20181014_122926.jpg

Last edited:

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
I for one greatly appreciate the effort put into this event, my wife is the Relay for Life county chair and even the smallest event takes time, effort and good people to put together. I volunteer to wash all the dishes because I believe it is the simplest job there, any help with this would be greatly appreciated or go to the volunteer thread and sign up to help with anything A few minutes from every one will make the rally even greater.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?177370-2018-Ga-Military-Vehicle-Rally-volunteers-thread

sandcobra164

Finally got power to my house today. Ga Rally plans will commence as if nothing happened now! Leaving Thursday morning with Welder1, meeting PCTrans in Cordele at 101 off I-75 and lead the convoy in. If that fits into any else's travel plans send me a message.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks