• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2018 Ga. Military Vehicle Rally info thread. Oct. 17-21, 2018

Skinner23

Well, even if I did break down as I rolled into camp Friday I still had a blast!! Can’t thank everyone enough that helped me out with the hmmwv and even gave me rides on the convoy and back home! So lucky to have a great group of people to be a part of! And a thanks to everyone that works so hard all year long for these 5 days of blissful fun!! Can’t wait till next year and who knows, maybe I’ll manage to not break down 10 minutes after being there next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneekyeye

Well, even if I did break down as I rolled into camp Friday I still had a blast!! Can’t thank everyone enough that helped me out with the hmmwv and even gave me rides on the convoy and back home! So lucky to have a great group of people to be a part of! And a thanks to everyone that works so hard all year long for these 5 days of blissful fun!! Can’t wait till next year and who knows, maybe I’ll manage to not break down 10 minutes after being there next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yours was probably the worst failure of the event that I heard of.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, if anyone lost some Bluetooth earphones, we had a pr turned in at the registration area. PM me and describe them so I can return them.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is anyone still there? Or did anyone pick up a 5t rim that was near the registration tent?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
If only that wheel could talk, that's the second time you forgot about it

Had an awesome time and got some smokin good deals, thanks again Welder1 for the tire deal Gcaines for hauling them and Matt444 for the mirrors the museum greatly appreciates your generosity.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Micro, I left your bench and grill lighter at Clintos area. If you didn't get them, I have more.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Home once more, had a great time as always! Thanks Rob and Ron for all the crane work and many others that pitched in throughout the week.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, where do you start?

Before I get to the individuals, I want to thank our sponsors, who have made an event like this possible. Old Guard Graphics (https://www.oldguardgraphics.com/) make our t-shirts and they've given us a little discount but they've been very flexible in how we could pay them, so that has made our lives a lot easier.

The Sign Bros have created our signs and banners and helped us out immensely.

Porterfield Tire (https://www.porterfieldtireinc.com/) sold us some tires really cheap for us to raffle off.

And our main sponsor, Memphis Equipment Company (http://www.memphisequipment.com/) have been great. They've been a reliable major sponsor for three years and we could not create a rally without them. So I hope that all of you will consider Memphis for your next purchase. I have a good relationship with one of the sales guys there and when I have something weird I need, I can simply email him and he finds it and sends me a quote. They helped me do the winch conversion on an M931A2 and it was a lot of oddball stuff and they were a huge help.

Now, that all being said.........................................

I want to thank all of the volunteers who are literally what makes this event. None of us make any money off this event. So when you see SCSG-G4 stumbling into an MKT at 0530 to start making breakfast, while we're still asleep, he's doing this for the good of the hobby and the good of the experience for the attendee(s). It is hard work.

Recovry4x4 packs up a mountain of stuff and drags it all down here, sets it up and sits in the tent practically the entire weekend so he can get new arrivals sent in the right direction. Because he's done this so long, he knows 80% of the attendees. When someone says "Hey, have you seen so-and-so, he can usually answer "I saw them an hour ago over there". Then he has to pack it all up and disappear. And for years, he drove a deuce here from Cuba.

Wheelspinner, Gunnermac, R4x4's kids and lots of other people sit in the registration tent and let R4x4 have some time off. Wheelspinner is dealing with a lot of physical issues-surgeries, infections, bad, bad stuff. And he loaded his M-gator on a trailer by himself, drove all the way down here and on crutches, did everything he could to support R4x4 and the event.

Timntruck's wife has also had a host of physical issues and not only sat in the truck to come here all the way from Ponchatoula, LA, but then helped SCSG serve food. Twright's wife also helped SCSG and Twright set up an operation to provide coffee.

4XDesign offered to help get the rebuilt handwashing stations set up and it was a pain-you can't fill them up with water and move them out to the locations. So he had to truck water out to the stations, after filling them up with towels and hand soap. He was a huge assist and we appreciate it.

All of the people who helped set up and take down the tent, tables, chairs, lights, etc. It is a real PITA to set that stuff up and to pull it down. There are very few rallies where you show up in the most rural of settings and get a tent, tables, chairs, handwashing stations and an MKT preparing food. I can't remember all of the names of all the people who helped us with this. There are people I know have been here 7-8 years and I know them, I know their vehicles but I can't remember their screen names. PaTracy, AMGeneral72, etc.

Ferroequineologist deserves a special nod this year. He has a small business and he is putting all of his life into getting it up and running (literally). And SCSG always has 2 deuces hauling MKT stuff and this year, his driver had knee surgery. So he couldn't drive. And I put a post out asking if someone could help SCSG. And Ferro ended up driving the 2nd deuce to the rally and his Father came all the way from Columbia, SC and picked him up, took him back home so he could work all week and then they came back Sunday morning to drive the deuce home. Just the fuel alone............................... if you enjoyed the MKT, you owe Ferro a beer.

u/RustyJunk (with the Dodge L700) drew the t-shirts, hooked us up with a replacement attorney when our attorney couldn't get our stuff done, negotiated with the t-shirt company, ran the raffle,etc.

u/RustyJunk's Dad, who isn't even an MV guy, comes along and does 90% of the rally t-shirt and raffle ticket sales.

And there are sooooooo many others who I might now have even seen helping out. Steve6x6x6 rescuing stuck folks and helping at registration tent. 73M819 using his wrecker to lift heavy stuff.

And Robin at Durhamtown was incredibly helpful this year (special events director). They had the porta potties on site on time, kept them serviced, kept the trash cans serviced and, D-town bought some of our left over food. That helps.

And-this is important. The rally is expensive and we try to keep the costs down. And this year, multiple people donated stuff. COOL stuff, like Robo impacts for us to raffle off. I can not find the words to describe how thankful we are to these people for donating these items. You guys are just amazing. Thank you.

And that brings me to the attendees.

Obviously, we're happy anyone shows up and we hope they enjoy it. We appreciate the good behavior of all of the attendees. The swap meet essentially set itself up this year and it was still nicely organized.

We are thankful to Mother Nature for the great weather-nice fall weather for once. This year was about as good as we could ever ask for.

I have a friend who is a 42 year Army/GAARNG vet and he brought a friend who is recovering from some surgeries and AMGeneral72 loaned these perfect strangers his golf cart so they could explore in comfort. I really appreciate it.

We put a lot of effort into this and it's our sincerest hope that when people get home and they're tired, broke, windburned and smell funny, they say "That was super fun". If people can do that, then we're happy.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you again.

And if I have forgotten you and not given you a call out, please accept my apologies. It is incredibly hard to remember every single action and person.

p.s.- this is me, separate from the rally

A bunch of people looked at my deuce and some of the stuff I've done and said some really nice things about it. I really, sincerely appreciate it. Thank you.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

If only that wheel could talk, that's the second time you forgot about it

Had an awesome time and got some smokin good deals, thanks again Welder1 for the tire deal Gcaines for hauling them and Matt444 for the mirrors the museum greatly appreciates your generosity.

Was this the bare 5 ton wheel I sent to Drew via you at Denton a couple years back?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
made it home with no issues. arrived around 430 long day but we had a blast. thanks to all that came and made it worth wild

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks