• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2018 Ga. Military Vehicle Rally info thread. Oct. 17-21, 2018

4671 Hybrid

That is incredibly interesting, I didn't even know that something like that existed. Not to clutter up this thread, but will your shipping only be over that 11 mile span or does the 11 miles connect to their docks? Also, is there an equivalent website where I can read up more? For example, what's the SS version of folks interested in railroad operations and equipment?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is incredibly interesting, I didn't even know that something like that existed. Not to clutter up this thread, but will your shipping only be over that 11 mile span or does the 11 miles connect to their docks? Also, is there an equivalent website where I can read up more? For example, what's the SS version of folks interested in railroad operations and equipment?
I sent you a PM so we don't clutter up this thread.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but are there any NC folks with the capability/desire to tow a M1083 back to NC with them after the rally? I'm overseas at the moment but will be back in Feb '19 and if my NC storage is out of your way, can come pick it up from your place...
I won't have the right truck with me but if you can get it to central NC it can stay safe and secure at my house near Asheboro. Just let me know.

PS I'm also from Buffalo originally. It's a great place to be FROM.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is there going to be a RALLY AUCTION, If there is I will bring some stuff, other wise I will put it up for sale at the PORTER compound. A RALLY AUCTION would be fun AND bring in a lot of $ for the rally fund.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is there going to be a RALLY AUCTION, If there is I will bring some stuff, other wise I will put it up for sale at the PORTER compound. A RALLY AUCTION would be fun AND bring in a lot of $ for the rally fund.
Perhaps. But I'll need some volunteers to put it together. I need an auction announcer, someone with a little experience. And maybe a couple helpers.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Perhaps. But I'll need some volunteers to put it together. I need an auction announcer, someone with a little experience. And maybe a couple helpers.
Two thoughts on having an auction rather than selling tickets for donated items:

1. It seems to me that many folks will be reluctant to actually bid in a public auction....especially if a friend/acquaintance has bid on the item or let it be known that he/she is interested in it. You also need an alert "auctioneer" and maybe even a few "spotters" to make sure you don't miss any bids and make someone...er....PO'd.
I run into that weekly when I have my abandoned vehicle auctions at the terminal....on the other hand, some folks get all caught up in an auction and bid way more than they intended to. Works both ways I guess.

2. Here's how we always did it at the GunTruck Gatherings: Fellers would bring all kinds of goodies to donate to the "raffle" and and the goodies are placed on tables or where they will fit/be readily seen. Tickets are sold for five (5) dollars each (no, that's not expensive because the real goal is to help with expenses....not the actual prize). You'd be amazed at how many folks would purchase 10 or even 20, 5 dollar tickets for a single item just to help out the cause.

3. Also, rather than drawing a ticket for each donated prize and letting the winner take only THAT prize, we would just have the "ticket puller" pull a ticket and the winner can pick whatever donated prize they want from the table/display until all the prizes have been claimed.

4. Ticket price/math: $5.00 per ticket is a steal as nearly ANY donated item is worth $20.00 to $100.00 or even more and $5.00 will not break the average attendees bank. In fact, I believe the average attendee wishing to help out with expenses will buy between 5 and 10 tickets costing either $25.00 or $50.00 and everywhere in between.

Let's just say that 50 folks (1 out of 6 attendees) buys 5 tickets at $5.00 each....that's $25.00 X 50 = $1,250.00 and I believe that's a very conservative number and not even counting smaller amounts of ticket purchases.

Separate issue, (and I know we don't like to do this but....) vendors: I've never liked the idea of mixing business with personal missions and the fact is (I believe), that MOST folks come to the Rally to socialize with friends (and make new ones) and just slobber over other folks' Military Vehicles and find a few things they can't live without.

BUT....There are some who come with the intention of having a good time AND making a few bucks....which makes it a "commercial venture" designed to show a profit. The Georgia Military Vehicle Rally is a non-profit event but it DOES have expenses which need to be covered and any left over is used to improve the Rally and purchase/maintain equipment used, (think hand washing stations, tents, etc.).

We have a "Vendor Field" and a unofficial monitor every year so I think this idea can easily be placed into the mix. (Yes, vendors and others can shoot me at the Rally):

What if we say folks can sell up to 10 items from their campsites at no charge but folks setting up in the "Vendor Area" with more than 10 items should "donate" $20.00 toward Rally expenses?? I doubt that would cause any vendors too much headache, nor would it detract from their "profit" that much.

OK y'all....let me know If I need to wear full body armor!!!:papabear:

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed I can bring to auction NOS m939 series muffler, and maybe some other nice goodies.
Or papa bears idea.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

IF I am able to make it,(and that's a mighty big IF) I will probably only be there Friday and Sat till about 2 or so, I may bring the mule, still undecided at this point.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a couple weeks left!

Whats the chances that I could get some help with swapping two M101 Trailer Bodies?
Im thinking to bring both trailers down if I can get a helping hand or two, or maybe a crane to help with swapping these bodies.
Thanks

P.S. I would donate some items if it would help with the Rally Auction to raise money for Rally needs!

TTS.gif

Last edited:

Rmtaunton

Whats the chances that I could get some help with swapping two M101 Trailer Bodies?
Im thinking to bring both trailers down if I can get a helping hand or two, or maybe a crane to help with swapping these bodies.
Thanks

P.S. I would donate some items if it would help with the Rally Auction to raise money for Rally needs!

View attachment 743649
I’ve got a crane just find me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Off road friends are not hard to find lol.
If not in camp I will be on trails.
or in camp working on something.

I put it on the buy /sell thread but going to do it here to.
I am bring two NOS M939 mufflers. One goes to papa bears ticket thingy and I will sell the other for $50 bucks. Money goes to clinto for the rally. I have seen the wrong muffler sell for $300. You might not get the one from papa bear so $50 bucks gets you one.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

Thanks

View attachment 743649
The 819 is there to help

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the Crane Help!

After taking a closer look at the trailers today, it might take more work and effort than expected to swap these trailers!
After some long and hard thinking, I think I'm going to go ahead and put both the trailers up for sale.
I'm needing to buy a reliable car or truck soon and well I think it's time to let go!

Thanks Bobby

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks