• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H-161E/U Headset foam

79f250guy

First off sorry for all the new threads here lately, new to the comm gear if ya'll couldn't tell. I got a new set of headsets but the foam that holds the speakers is deteriorated. Has anyone found a good source for replacing the foam? like from a different civi headset or bulk foam or something. Im not sure how a good one is supposed to look.

Thank you

79f250guy

In case anyone is interested this was my solution for replacing the foam. was cheap, local, and worked pretty good. I went to harbor freight and bought the cheap ear muffs like 3 something a pair and pulled the foam from them. There is two pieces so i put one under the speaker and the other was about perfect for the over the speaker. Pics:
image_40037873.jpgimage_123923953 (1).jpgimage_123923953.jpg

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the same boat and I'm thinking of trying some bulk foam from an upholstery shop. That deteriorating foam is weird. If you pinch it and smear it turns into a tar-like substance which reminds me of a body seam sealer on an old car. I see pictures of good foam and they have a hole cut out to expose the speaker grille. Does yours work alright w/o that hole?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In keeping my flight helmets up over the years, I've replaced the earcup foam several times. Being a cheapskate, I prefer not to spend the high $$ for the purpose-made replacements, so I've had good luck with foam from craft stores - thicker, denser stuff for around the speaker, thinner lighter stuff for the outside layer. It's easily cut to rough shape with scissors (it gets stuffed inside, you can't see the imperfect edges in there. :lol:).

That tarry stuff from decayed foam can be removed with rubbing alcohol. You can get in the tight spots with q-tips. Alcohol usually doesn't mar the headset finish, but test it inside first just in case.

Cheers

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Originally were there 2 separate pieced of foam in the ear cups? 1 for the speaker and 1 that covers the whole area after that? It looks like the speaker relies on the foam to locate/support itself within the ear cup.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the heavier, inside, foam has a 'cup' cut in it for the speaker. Or sometimes it is made with a thin flat piece and a thicker piece with a circle cut out glued to it (ie - there is a foam layer behind the speaker).

Then there is a thin lighter foam piece that covers the entire inner bit (between your ear and the speaker).

That explanation may not be clear, so I have made a rough drawing so you get the basic idea.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. I went to a craft store and found 2 types of foam; one that's 1/2" thick high density foam and the other is a soft fabric bonded to 1/8" thick foam. I made some templates that match the ear cup and also that wrap around the speakers.
20181024_191526.jpg
20181026_195649.jpg
20181026_195728.jpg
20181026_195717.jpg
20181027_125134.jpg
20181027_125209.jpg
20181027_125231.jpg
20181027_125329.jpg

I glued the thin foam to the outside of the thick foam with Elmer's aerosol glue and after that cured I sprayed the back of the foam where the speaker would touch, slipped the middle foam finger between the wires and wrapped the speaker in the foam. The thick foam has a sound hole in it and the thin foam layer is soft and fuzzy. The speaker is now glued to the thick foam which is stuffed in the cup and it all fits nicely under the cushioned ear seal. I can't test the sound quality until the intercom is installed, but so far so good. 1 down, 3 to go...

CMPPhil

Now for the next question are they comfortable to wear for 8 hours?

Looks like a good approach.

Cheers Phil

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure about long-term comfort but I do know that if I put them on while my wife is talking to me I can't hear a thing she's saying :D

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now for the next question are they comfortable to wear for 8 hours?
No! But they are bearable. ;)

One of the biggest comfort issues will be how good the ear seals are (the plastic coated part that clips around the edge between the cup and your head). If those have deteriorated inside, they can get uncomfortable quite quickly. It is worth having new ones. The gel-filled ones can be a tad spendy, but if you are going to wear the headset for long periods, they are a lot more comfortable.
You can get both kinds on ebay.

Cheers

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...The gel-filled ones can be a tad spendy, but if you are going to wear the headset for long periods, they are a lot more comfortable.
You can get both kinds on ebay.

Cheers
Are these ear seals a standard size & shape? I've worn a pair of David Clark's with the gel seals while flying and they are very comfy. So does one size fit all if I look for the gel type?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For these style headsets, my experience has been yes, they all seem about the same size (headsets and flight-helmet earcups).
If I recall correctly, the ones for CVCs (armour crew helmets) are slightly larger, but I'll have to check that.

Cheers

okto

Removing that rotted foam-rubber goop is one of the few really good uses of WD-40, with the added bonus vs alcohol that it has very little solvent action on thermoplastics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks