• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with rear hydraulic winch

Dock Rocker

Anyone have any experience with plumbing the rear winch setup on a hmmwv. I have the TM’s and for the life of me I don’t under how the controls work. I see that there is some kind of control that attached at the Cadillac valve. I am assuming that this controls which winch is receiving power. Anyone have a picture of what it actually looks like on a truck?

I had a front winch on my last truck and it’s pretty straight forward. The control solenoids were attached to the winch body itself. I was thrown for a loop when I got this winch (take off) and it doesn’t have any control solenoids at all. I am assuming that the other winch solenoids somehow magically control it.

Anyone have some insight on how this thing is plumbed in and how it is actually controlled? FYI I will be installing a front winch at the same time as I put this one in.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to mod the set up as there were no trucks oe with both winches.

check with tomcata3 as he has done it. The attached pic is his as he had to add the cut off valves. I think the rear winch separate solenoid pack is next to the Cadillac valve. Suprman had the solenoids a while back.

Post pics of your success as a few of us are kicking this around. :)

Attached is also the milemarker rear install manual and a troubleshooting guide.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

I actually just PM’d tomcata3 for that very picture. I will be sure to document everything as we go. I still have to get a the two hard lines on the front winch from mile marker before i can get started. GI Joe smoked them when they took it off.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was successful ordering parts from them. I used the mile marker part numbers for the items I needed which are in the install manuals instead of nsn or military part numbers. Not sure if those tubes are listed separately in the front mm manual. It seemed to make the process easier. I had to answer the question like 3 times that I was a US citizen with a military surplus winch and not for any kind of export resale to 2 different reps.

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

I was successful ordering parts from them. I used the mile marker part numbers for the items I needed which are in the install manuals instead of nsn or military part numbers. Not sure if those tubes are listed separately in the front mm manual. It seemed to make the process easier. I had to answer the question like 3 times that I was a US citizen with a military surplus winch and not for any find of export resale to 2 different reps.
I went through the same thing ordering parts for my last truck. They definitely did their due diligence.

On a separate note a group of us from MIssissippi are going to convoy over to the USS Alabama for the Dixie Division and show and swap April 14 and 15. You should join us.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went through the same thing ordering parts for my last truck. They definitely did their due diligence.

On a separate note a group of us from MIssissippi are going to convoy over to the USS Alabama for the Dixie Division and show and swap April 14 and 15. You should join us.
Thanks for the heads up and I "think" I am free...

desmodromic

I actually just PM’d tomcata3 for that very picture. I will be sure to document everything as we go. I still have to get a the two hard lines on the front winch from mile marker before i can get started. GI Joe smoked them when they took it off.
I have to finally get around to the dual hydro winch install myself, plus a couple of single rear set ups. Any information or details you can post up is greatly appreciated.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would imagine the Cadillac valve is required for hydraulic winches to ensure the engine under load is properly cooled.

russojap

I would imagine the Cadillac valve is required for hydraulic winches to ensure the engine under load is properly cooled.
Why would a Cadillac have a winch?

That was actually supposed to be a joke, but I'm not sure it was received that way. :roll: I've never even heard of a Cadillac valve or know what it does. I tried looking it up, but it only brought up valve covers. :-?

Is there a part on a HMMWV that will fit on a Cadillac?

7872-8_bl_lg.jpg

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would a Cadillac have a winch?

That was actually supposed to be a joke, but I'm not sure it was received that way. :roll: I've never even heard of a Cadillac valve or know what it does. I tried looking it up, but it only brought up valve covers. :-?

Is there a part on a HMMWV that will fit on a Cadillac?

View attachment 776208
Cadillac valve controls the fan clutch operation. Called that because part of the brand name for it is indeed cadillac.
I believe properly it's called the Kysor-Cadillac solenoid, but cadillac valve is quicker and easier to say.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks