• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to drive on a 18,000 mile trip?

MIDDLEMAN

I would like to drive to Cape Horn South America and back, from Washington state. I love to explore and have driven all around Costa Rica and when in Cancun for New years I saw a Unimog that looked well traveled. I have seen pictures of all kinds of camper vehicles but seeing one this time made a light come on upstairs! I mentioned the idea of this trip or adventure to my wife and she said yes! (including the purchase of some such vehicle) She suggested a full size diesel pickup because of it getting good mileage. I reminded her that loaded with a camper and supplies that it would it might fetch 12 MPG give or take and that many bigger safer military vehicles could get 7 or 8 MPG and would be much more capable. So what vehicle? So far I am leaning towards a M1078A1. I own an RV business and would build the living module to go on the back of it. Any suggestions or ideas out there?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting low sulphur diesel in that part of the world is an issue. Getting parts for a LMTV is likely a far more serious issue.

lindsey97

Choose an older, well kept diesel pickup that you can self diagnose and repair, or choose a brand new one with a warranty. I personally would go with an lmtv, have it checked out by someone familiar with them, then proceed to drive it 2-3K miles to validate it's mechanical condition, before converting to an RV. Whatever you choose, be educated and prepared to work on it in a field expedient environment.

red

If going with a military truck then a 5 ton, either m809 series (1st choice) or m939/a1/a2 series. Drivetrain parts on them are commercial products that, while older, have parts available. Simple, reliable, durable. For a dedicated camper a m820 is my favorite.

If you are not mechanically inclined and will be relying on mechanics along the way for any emergency repairs, can't beat a stupid simple drivetrain. For parts Cummins, Allison, Meritor (formerly Rockwell) are available worldwide.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having traveled with all three of those types vehicles, a modern Diesel, LMTV /M-1078, and Unimog, I would suggest a 'semi-modern' Diesel of a common brand.

Why? A common brand of Diesel truck will have the comfort items (heat, AC, cleaner cab, easy ride) that simply is not available in old military trucks. Be cautious of a newer Diesel though because of the ULSD requirements and load of pollution stuff (like DEF), and heavy electronic control. Going into 'limp-home' mode in the outback because of fuel issues would stink.

A Unimog would be my second choice because of Outstanding reliability and world-wide parts support from Mercedes. The U-1300 trucks are the peak in the Unimog line for us civilian users, IMHO, with good comfort, good offroad capability but with good road manners, and no electronics on engine or transmission. AC and overdrive can be added.

The LMTV (FMTV) is a fine truck, but, to be honest, I never know what's going to fail next. It won't be a big failure because the CAT engine and Allison are solid, but so many little gremlins can shut down the truck and it's not easy to troubleshoot (no matter what we say). You might not have access to SS advice if off the beaten track.

Ask yourself what you would like to be driving if you break down in some small South America village and Jose with a hammer is your only recourse for help if you can't figure it out yourself.

Last edited:

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a nice quad cab 1991-1997 f250 or 350 4x4 with zf5 tranny and a 7.38) or something similar . Quad cab is best and maybe smart to not go dually, might be cheaper at border crossings.

MIDDLEMAN

Lots of good ideas. I do own a 2001 f-350 diesel dually 4x4 has a good 7.3 with about 140k on it. It does have the auto tranny which is not my favorite but has been good so far. I also still have the 1989 M925A2 that is a beautiful truck and is very solid but it is and rides like a 5 ton that I bought it for. When I drove it 1400 miles from GP in Minnesota to Washington, I told myself I would only drive this on trips in the state of Washington. If I buy the M1078A1....I think the tan and I'm sorry to say a big Canadian Maple leaf on each door may appear, I love being an American but there are a few countries that seem to favor Canada much more than the US. (Just want to stay safe) I think the only serious protection that I might pass through all countries with would be a flare gun and they don't come with clips. Does any body have a 1078A1 that they have owned for a few years and driven the heck out of it? The Army says it is the only vehicle to earn its ultra reliable status? More help needed to decide... Thanks to all of you so far.

MIDDLEMAN

Thank you for the tip. I created an account there and I think it will be helpful, but did some searching for the M1078A1 model and there didn't seem to be much. (Especially on the A1 version)

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a m35a2 that I've taken on trips and one of the best things about it is sleeping (I pitch a tent to keep out bugs) under a canopy in the back. While you can do this with a pickup, I think a cargo truck offers more room and security as the bed is at least 4 feet off the ground and not as easily accessible. Your cargo truck can also carry lots of supplies including extra fuel, food & water, spare parts and go places even your typical 4x4 have trouble with.

You could always paint the Mexican flag on the doors.

snowtrac nome

Personally I would go with a 12 valve cummins and stay away from any thing electronic. A mechanical unimog would be another good choice, maybe a better choice for travels in other countrys where you may need parts and service, the unimog is really a globaly supported vehicle.

MIDDLEMAN

I think I will look at the unimogs as well, I have commited to buying a 2001 1078A1. I am fly out to drive it back this Saturday. I like the thought of the American Made! I have never looked for a Unimog, what can one expect to pay for something in good dependable condition?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks