• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland doesnt want me to own a Deuce!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As previously posted the 17- digit VIN is a relatively new thing. When I first went to register my M54A2 I had trouble with the mental midget behind the counter who couldn’t understand that it had an 18-digit VIN. I won’t bore everyone about the conversation other than to say that she was a perfect example of why some people should not be allowed to breed.
An acquaintance of mine had an interesting time registering an OT-64. When asked what it was he told the MVA person it was a vehicle for carrying people. When asked how many his response was about fourteen. So, the MVA person said kind of like a small bus. His response was yes you could say that. So, in Maryland OT-64 are titled as small buses.
For clarity - and those of us (like ME) unfamiliar with the "OT-64" designator - here's a WIKI on them...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OT-64_SKOT

And, the obligatory PICTURES...
07_ot_64_skot.jpgmaxresdefault (1).jpg
maxresdefault.jpgot_64_skot.jpg
ot_64_skot_l2.jpgot_64_skot_l3.jpg
skot_2.jpge00d77cc-a0e8-47a6-82f5-2100c5ce1b6eOriginal.jpg

Hometown

Interesting. Sounds like they were focusing on the Humvees for inspection to me. I brought her home yesterday on a pretty good shake down run. Cruised at 54 effortlessly. Paitently waiting for title.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've titled and tagged 3 humvees in the last year without issue. Go to a different branch or use a T&T place.

Hometown

Awesome. I drove my m35 home yesterday. She actually has a 17 digit vin. Bumper says MDNG, Im assuming maryland national guard so thats why the vin was generated I suppose. As soon as I get the title, its on!

dmetalmiki

As previously posted the 17- digit VIN is a relatively new thing. When I first went to register my M54A2 I had trouble with the mental midget behind the counter who couldn’t understand that it had an 18-digit VIN. I won’t bore everyone about the conversation other than to say that she was a perfect example of why some people should not be allowed to breed.
An acquaintance of mine had an interesting time registering an OT-64. When asked what it was he told the MVA person it was a vehicle for carrying people. When asked how many his response was about fourteen. So, the MVA person said kind of like a small bus. His response was yes you could say that. So, in Maryland OT-64 are titled as small buses.
Well that is quite correct (actually).

GUN BUS!.

Last edited:

jasonn

I have owned and tagged more than 10 military vehícules in maryland with out any problems ever. All paperwork from government none said off road use only I have had 2.5 tons 5 tons and fmtvs

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sensing a lot of hostility towards public service employees in this thread. Many are constrained by their software. They see thousands upon thousands of the same type of vehicles every day and after 5 years at the same job someone comes in with a 45 year old MV and you expect them to know immediately what to do. How about having a little patience for the system which wasn't designed to work with the exception but with the norm.

It's not personal if they can't figure how to fit your square MV in their software's round hole.

A previous comment derisive about public education provoked me to post this. I'm proud of my public education.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

The duce met safety standards of the day for the medium duty class of vehicles. They should be grandfathered in. When I tried to register my lmtv I was told the same thing as your document showed. new mv's couldn't be registered because of the off road restriction. I pointed out my sf 97 says nothing about off road only my clerk made a call to anchorage and a half hour later told me to come get my tags. Not all public servants are idiots they just work off paper work given to them. Remember the old saying about computers garbage in equals garbage out. I was told later the memo came out wrong because they didn't realize hmmwv's and sees were the only vehicles coming out with that restriction. the state can always add to the federal standard but can not retract from it. In your case they might want split braking, abs additional lighting safety belts and a colapsable steering column, but its not likely usually older vehicles are grandfathered in.

Merc1973

It seems someone from MSP sent out something that isn’t correct. First thing to remember is when dealing with “those” people at the MVA’s is don’t say anything that isn’t necessary. In Maryland to register a vehicle historic it must be at least twenty years old for 10K and under. If it is over 10K it must be at least twenty-five, thanks to a guy running a dump truck commercially on historic tags. When they ask you what it is tell them it is a Jeep truck if it is a Kaiser-Jeep. They don’t have Kaiser in the database. As already posted it is better to go to one of the tag and title places. For a few extra dollars it’s worth not having to deal with a Maryland MVA.
Yup. In 2013 Mine was registered as Historic as a "Jeep" since it's a Kaiser-jeep and the weight: 000000 lbs. :D

12 Minute Tag and Title in Glen Burnie is fantastic to deal with. I have only been to the MVA once when moving to MD for a DL and will avoid it at any cost.

Hope you got your title. I use Gulfway Insurance and can't beat the price.

Last edited:

Hometown

Update: I do have the title now guys, (2 months later). Bummer is it does NOT have a 17 digit VIN. Sooo Im not sure what they are going to look at or register it as. Ive read they combine 2 numbers?

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a problem. In every one of my 3 hmmwv registrations, one as recent as two months ago, they have simply used the 6 digit serial number.

tow2gunner

Just went thru this hassle today. According to mva NO military vehicles are allowed to be registered in MD.. at all..
This is because the vin is not 17 digits, and "no one should be driving them in the road..."

So - went to a title service , in and out. Done

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ajax MD

Man, I really struggle with the search feature on this forum. I only just discovered this thread.

Anyway, this is strange reading. My 1971 5 ton has a 17 digit VIN on the data plate on the dash. I have a photo, which I'll post later but the VIN is: 05A84671C12512522. I guess the various manufacturers didn't consistently do this over the years? Even so, I've been fooling with classic cars long enough to know to stay away from the MVA and to use a Tag 'n Title place. The office in Crofton has always done me right.

The main antagonists seem to be the State Police, not the legislators. I have observed this in the boating world as well- Maryland Natural Resources Police constantly lobby the legislature for ever more restrictive boating regulations simply to make their own lives more convenient by not having to police certain behaviors that they disagree with.

How many times in recent years, have MV owners stepped up after hurricanes and floods to evacuate people, help clear roads and truck in supplies? I think MV owners make a great ad-hoc civil defense corps. It might be worth reminding our representatives of this fact.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks