• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP Caiman Plus Tires

boone6978

MRAP Caiman BAE

Anyone with thoughts on tires that go on this beast. It is one of the LEO acquisitions for the local police departments. I am having a hard time finding military surplus Goodyear MVT Load range L tires that it currently has on it. Load range G are pretty common in the same size (395/85R20). I don't feel comfortable slacking on the load range for such a heavy vehicle, even after we stripped stuff off it weighs 64000lbs. Anyone think G Load range tires (14ply vs 20ply) would be ok for replacement, I am thinking no, but wanted some other opinions. Thanks.

Last edited:

boone6978

Sorry, It is the CMTV version and I looked up when we had the DOT come and weigh each axle it came out to 54000lbs GVWR.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, less than 10,000 per tire. Got to factor in speed and tire pressure so I would pass on a G. Michelin load range J will get you 12,400 each

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, It is the CMTV version and I looked up when we had the DOT come and weigh each axle it came out to 54000lbs GVWR.
The Caiman I weighs 37,000, there is no way the Caiman II weighs 54,000. The II chassis weighs 26,000 by itself, the aluminum crew module does not weigh 28,000 lbs.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BAE lists an operational weight of 30 tons! Looks like additional crew, supplies and armor would run the tires over the max at that base weight

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
GVWR is the rating of vehicle weight plus its cargo carrying weight It weighs under 40k. Even with all the armor you could add. It may reach 50k.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can always go to 1400s. We have new ones in stock.

boone6978

Maybe gvwr was the wrong term, but I was with the DOT guy and his scales under each tire. Each axle added together came out to 54000, i was trying to find the axle break down but can't, it's been a few years. So until I can run it over a scale again, let's say it is 54000, load range L I assume is the only tire I should use, for safety. Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pretty sure those are not the heavy load range MVT tires. They hardly come out. I have not seen any thru our Campbell contract and there has been over 500,000lbs of MVT tires come thru. If they are then your price is way under where they need to be.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Awesome, thanks for the reply Dave. I'm sure you will see an order soon, if not already.

Dan
You can also go with 395 XZL tires that are rated for nearly 12k each or 14.00s which give you a little more height and speed.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hopefully I'm wrong but at 275ea doesnt sound in line with prices for new. Pictures are another thing

XZL tires are rated for the same weight and atleast are tougher than the goodyears

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run 395 or 16R20 XZL's with run flats on up armored trucks. 5 + tons of mods and cargo easily puts you into J rated tires

boone6978

Got a chance to roll the mrap over the scale today, here is what it weighs.20180515_113955.jpg

Country, I am trying to get him to purchase tires from you. I may give you a call at some point.

Thanks. Dan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks