• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did the supply of M101A2s and 3s dry up??

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Jeepers pay more for a good clean 101A2 than a nice 1101/1102. They are a nice light, perfect trail/adventure trailer.
They wont be getting any cheaper if the auctions have dried up. As an owner of 4 of them, I can’t say I’m too upset about that! :)
I’m glad for the two I have.
Have no interest for the M1101/2

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s good you got a couple when you could. They are solid trailers.

I have the bigger tires & wheels like the 1101’s (37’s on H1 rims) on all mine except one, that is all stock, from the tarp down to the new tires.

I guess it’s a personal preference, but I love the 1101/2’s. They are sexy!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They also look funny behind a CUCV.

Now if I still had my M998A1 then I would be interested in them.
I don’t, so I’m not.

This thread isn’t a debate between the two trailers.
Each has their pros and cons.

Was hoping there was a fiield full the M101A2/3s sitting somewhere waiting for their auction time.
Sounds like their gone. The majority anyway.

Luckly I don’t “need” another one.
Just wanted one.

Guess I’ll buy me a new pistol instead.........

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They also look funny behind a CUCV.

Now if I still had my M998A1 then I would be interested in them.
I don’t, so I’m not.

This thread isn’t a debate between the two trailers.
Each has their pros and cons.

Was hoping there was a fiield full the M101A2/3s sitting somewhere waiting for their auction time.
Sounds like their gone. The majority anyway.

Luckly I don’t “need” another one.
Just wanted one.

Guess I’ll buy me a new pistol instead.........
They are parked next to the warehouse full of $50 jeeps. :mrgreen:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I’ll buy me a new pistol instead
Usually my response to not getting what I want too! Good move!

I picked up 3 of the 101A2’s last year from RRAD. They didn’t have wheels, but I did, so all ended well. They were all in good shape. Beds were not rusted, not dinged up. They were dumping a bunch of trailers with no wheels in those couple weeks of auctions. Maybe that was the bottom of the barrel?

I “accidentally” won one of them with a low opening bid, so, to make it worth the trip (can fit 3 on my trailer), bought two more the next week.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually my response to not getting what I want too! Good move!
I picked up 3 of the 101A2’s last year from RRAD. They didn’t have wheels, but I did, so all ended well. They were all in good shape. Beds were not rusted, not dinged up. They were dumping a bunch of trailers with no wheels in those couple weeks of auctions. Maybe that was the bottom of the barrel?
I “accidentally” won one of them with a low opening bid, so, to make it worth the trip (can fit 3 on my trailer), bought two more the next week.
The two that I have came from same place and time period.
$200 each. Two different auctions.
No damage, except for a busted light and trailer cable.
Usual surface rust but no rot.
One had tons of goodies, including a brand new camo cover.
Kicking myself for not getting more.
Thought two would be plenty.

Oh well......

My NIB vintage, 2nd generation Colt Model 1860 Army will be here Friday.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought mine six years ago Best investment ever. Many journeys and good times.
They really make great adventure/camping trailers. You have done a wonderful job with yours. Some don’t like taking one and modifying it to where it doesn’t look “military” any more. Personally, that’s why I buy these things. They are fantastic platforms to build on. I respect the purist who maintains and restores to exact detail military trucks and trailers, I enjoy seeing those. And I also like to take a 101 or 1101 and make a kickazz camper trailer out of it! There is room for all of God’s trucks and trailers in my stable!

More pics if you have some please. I like to see how they were modified. Thanks.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Luckily I have one for ranch work and my other is for a future camper build.

Had 2.1 tons of gravel in my tan M101A2 Monday.
Handled it no sweat.
Axle bumpers were about 1 1/2” from frame rail.
Forgot to take a pic.

Fantastic trailers.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s awesome. They can handle a lot.

Except .... One I bought one out of RRAD with a nice, well made, shop built steel topper. It was pretty cool! BUT! If you ever pulled it empty, do not go around turns very fast. The top weighs more than the trailer bed and if you hit a bump, at a fast turn it would bounce up and try to flip over! (Maybe I’m exaggerating it a little, but it got “wonky” on me a few times. Enough to scare me.) With tools or a load in the bed, it was fine. The top was the perfect size to fit inside the frame and tarp, so you didn’t see it with the tarp on. It was lockable, and very sturdy. A really nice top. I believe it’s made of 1/8” / 11 ga steel. It’s stout and it is heavy duty. You could camp in it or on top of it, if you were so inclined.

I dont use it any more because I don’t want to pull it empty and risk a bump flip. I drive too fast, ok? There I said it.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last large batch I saw came out of RRAD most were missing at least one tire/rim and laying in the dirt, all tan, very few covers, mostly fair to rough. Fuzzytoaster I think got a whole pile of them.

My first GL purchase was my tan A2 at RRAD. I had looked at several auctions back to back with 50-75 each. Jumped in and got one. Most had almost new tires and covers folded in bed. Gl had actual pics not a "representative". Easy to pick and see what you were getting. $269 was my first invoice with all fees/taxes in 2011. Worth the ride and back. Bought I think 6 along the way and flipped them usually within weeks. Paid for the trip, hotel, and some pocket money.

Ah, The good ole days......

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL charged me Diesel tax on both trailers.
Took weeks to get it refunded.

Initially, they couldn’t understand why I was complaining.

Yea.
Wished I would have bought several more.

Oh well.......hindsight is 20/20

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know guys on adventure portal make 101’s into adventure trailers. Anyone else, besides the one above, do the same? I have plans to, but that means little, as I have plans for a time machine as well. Although, I am much, much, more apt to get to this first since I have actually purchased parts for this project and can’t find the key part for the time machine. (The part that makes you go back in time.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks