• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Bill for Title Military Surplus Off Road Moves to Virginia Senate

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Virginia doesn’t require state inspection for antique vehicles. Our two senators are Tim Kane and Mark Warner. Antique tags in Virginia is a good thing. I don’t pay taxes on my deuce and can drive it for occasional pleasure use.

MaverickH1

Virginia doesn’t require state inspection for antique vehicles. Our two senators are Tim Kane and Mark Warner. Antique tags in Virginia is a good thing. I don’t pay taxes on my deuce and can drive it for occasional pleasure use.
In our version of the bill, you will be able to register a Military Vehicle in a similar fashion to an Antique vehicle with a one time registration fee and no annual inspection. But it won't force that limited use on everyone if they wish to opt for yearly registration fees and annual inspections like every other vehicle on the road.

This is a state bill, not a federal one. Tim Kaine and Mark Warner are our federal senators. Do you know who your state senator is?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But can't you see the media hype...

"Why was a weapon of war in the home depot parking lot?"

"Why does anyone need one of these?"

kcobean

I'm just saying look at the number of closed threads on people wanting to register HMMWV's that were sold as "OFF ROAD ONLY" . Was yours sold as "OFF ROAD ONLY' before it was titled in Utah ? Did it have a EUC also? Just because you didn't sign the EUC doesn't mean you can export it.
Kind of like what doghead mentioned in post #8.
I have no way to know how it was sold to the company that titled it, but I'm sure an EUC was attached.

I just think that this bill in particular is a wolf in sheeps clothing. It fooled SEMASAN and they are trying to get FMV folks to support it. All it does is limit my ability to use a truck that mechanically is no different than a civi H1 Hummer, and yet there's no mention of that.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no way to know how it was sold to the company that titled it, but I'm sure an EUC was attached.

I just think that this bill in particular is a wolf in sheeps clothing. It fooled SEMASAN and they are trying to get FMV folks to support it. All it does is limit my ability to use a truck that mechanically is no different than a civi H1 Hummer, and yet there's no mention of that.
Or some lobbyist paid SEMASAN to support it.

MaverickH1

Just got off the phone with the legal department at SEMA. Sounded like a great guy. They had no idea there would be a backlash to this, and were just seeing that other states were doing similar things.

I will be sending them my rough draft amendment to start a conversation. They will be on board with us if they approve of it.

It's in process.

MaverickH1

I have amended the bill and sent my amendments to SEMA. This is a rough draft. Parts that are REMOVED are underlined. My amendments are in bold, italicized, and enlarged.

This is copied and pasted to share the same wording as existing antique vehicle law in the state of Virginia.
“Military surplus motor vehicle" means a multipurpose or tactical vehicle that was manufactured by or under the direction of for the United States Armed Forces for off-road use and subsequently authorized for sale to civilians. "Military surplus motor vehicle" does not include specialized mobile equipment as defined in § 46.2-700, trailers, or semitrailers.

----------
E. The Department shall issue appropriately designated license plates for military surplus motor vehicles registered pursuant to § 46.2-730.1.

----------
§ 46.2-730.1. License plates for military surplus motor vehicles; fee; penalty.

A. On receipt of an application and evidence that the applicant owns or has regular use of another passenger car, autocycle, or motorcycle, The Commissioner shall issue a registration card and appropriately designed license plates to owners of military surplus motor vehicles. These license plates shall be valid so long as title to the vehicle is vested in the applicant. The fee for the registration card and license plates for any of these vehicles shall be a one-time fee of $50.

B. Except as provided in subsection G of this section, military surplus motor vehicles registered with license plates issued under this section shall not be used for general transportation purposes, including, but not limited to, daily travel to and from the owner's place of employment, but shall only be used:

1. For participation in off-road events, on-road club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events; and

2. On the highways of the Commonwealth for the purpose of selling the vehicle, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in subdivision 1, and occasional pleasure driving not exceeding 250 miles from the residence of the owner. The registration card issued to the owner of a military surplus motor vehicle registered pursuant to this section shall indicate that such vehicle is for limited use.

C. Any owner of a military surplus motor vehicle applying for registration pursuant to this section shall submit to the Department, in the manner prescribed by the Department, certification that such vehicle is capable of being safely operated on the highways of the Commonwealth. Pursuant to § 46.2-1000, the Department shall suspend the registration of any vehicle registered with license plates issued under this section that the Department or the Department of State Police determines is not properly equipped or is otherwise unsafe to operate. Any law-enforcement officer shall take possession of the license plates, registration card, and decals, if any, of any vehicle registered with license plates issued under this section when he observes any defect in such vehicle as set forth in § 46.2-433 1000. Nothing in this section shall apply to a military surplus motor vehicle that complies with subsection G of this section.

D. Any owner of a military surplus motor vehicle registered with license plates pursuant to this section who is convicted of a violation of this section is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. Upon receiving a record of conviction of a violation of this section, the Department shall revoke and not reinstate the owner's privilege to register the vehicle operated in violation of this section with license plates issued pursuant to this section for a period of five years from the date of conviction.

E. The provisions of this section shall apply to all owners of military surplus motor vehicles registered with the Department under any other provision of this Code prior to July 1, 2018. Such owners shall, based on a schedule and in a manner prescribed by the Department, reregister such vehicle and receive an appropriately designed license plate in accordance with this section. The Department shall cancel the registrations of vehicles owned by persons that, prior to January 1, 2019, do not re-register such vehicle with the Department.

F. Notwithstanding the provisions of 46.2-711 and 46.2-715, military surplus motor vehicles may display single license plates if the original manufacturer's design of the antique motor vehicles allows for the use of only single license plates.

G. Notwithstanding the foregoing provision of this section, military surplus motor vehicles displaying license plates issued pursuant to subsections A and F of this section may be used for general transportation purposes if the following conditions are met:

1. The physical condition of the vehicle's license plate or plates has been inspected and approved by the Department;

2. The license plate or plates are registered to the specific vehicle by the Department;

3. The owner of the vehicle periodically registers the vehicle with the Department and pays a registration fee for the vehicle equal to that which would be charged to obtain regular state license plates for that vehicle;

4. The vehicle passes a periodic safety inspection as provided in Article 21( 46.2-1157 et seq.) of Chapter 10 of this title;

5. The vehicle displays current decals attached to the license plate, issued by the Department, indicating the valid registration period for the vehicle;and

6. When applicable, the vehicle meets the requirement of Article 22 (46.2-1176 et seq.) of Chapter 10 of this title.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have amended the bill and sent my amendments to SEMA. This is a rough draft. Parts that are REMOVED are underlined. My amendments are in bold, italicized, and enlarged.

This is copied and pasted to share the same wording as existing antique vehicle law in the state of Virginia.
It's worth a try but I don't think the one time $50 fee will go very far except as historic.

46.2-730.1. License plates for military surplus motor vehicles; fee; penalty.

A. On receipt of an application and evidence that the applicant owns or has regular use of another passenger car, autocycle, or motorcycle, The Commissioner shall issue a registration card and appropriately designed license plates to owners of military surplus motor vehicles. These license plates shall be valid so long as title to the vehicle is vested in the applicant. The fee for the registration card and license plates for any of these vehicles shall be a one-time fee of $50.

For anything other than historic , they will want full registration fees.

Sintorion

I'm not sure that is a horrible deal. Better than in Fla where it doesn't have the 250 mile clause and has to maintain the military look. Let's be realistic. 250 is a long way especially in a Humvee. I wish Florida would copy that. Obviously full registration would be great, but we know that will never happen. I had a mustang registered in VA as an antique for years. Never had an issue driving it to Home Depot, work, weekends, etc. Basically it just couldn't be your daily driver although I don't know how they would ever determine that.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's worth a try but I don't think the one time $50 fee will go very far except as historic.

Just for Reference in La, Former Military Vehicles are lifetime registration with Vin Stencil. The registration fee is very close to $50 but of course sales tax is due also plus a $75 title fee required of all LA transactions involving issuing a title.

kcobean

I'm not sure that is a horrible deal. Better than in Fla where it doesn't have the 250 mile clause and has to maintain the military look. Let's be realistic. 250 is a long way especially in a Humvee. I wish Florida would copy that. Obviously full registration would be great, but we know that will never happen. I had a mustang registered in VA as an antique for years. Never had an issue driving it to Home Depot, work, weekends, etc. Basically it just couldn't be your daily driver although I don't know how they would ever determine that.
We have full registration here today. I have a VA titled, tagged, inspected M998 I can drive anywhere, any time for any reason. We are facing losing that if this passes.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure that is a horrible deal. .

I am. The construction company that uses a 5ton fitted with a water tank, who has currently registered it as a commercial vehicle and complied with all those requirements, will be forced to stop using it or face criminal charges.

The overland crowd, who have substantially modified their LMTVs and use them as RVs, registered as RVs, will be forced to register as former MV and can no longer use them as RVs.

This is a bad deal. It gives a small token to the hmmwv crowd, and cripples the rest of the MV world.

It's a good day not to live in VA.

kcobean

I am. The construction company that uses a 5ton fitted with a water tank, who has currently registered it as a commercial vehicle and complied with all those requirements, will be forced to stop using it or face criminal charges.

The overland crowd, who have substantially modified their LMTVs and use them as RVs, registered as RVs, will be forced to register as former MV and can no longer use them as RVs.

This is a bad deal. It gives a small token to the hmmwv crowd, and cripples the rest of the MV world.

It's a good day not to live in VA.
This is NOT a nod to HMMWV owners. I have a HMMWV that I can drive anywhere, anytime, for any reason today. If this passes un-amended, I could be charged with a misdemeanor for driving my truck to the store for groceries and lose the registration on my truck for 5 years. NOT a good deal for us in any way.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is NOT a nod to HMMWV owners. I have a HMMWV that I can drive anywhere, anytime, for any reason today. If this passes un-amended, I could be charged with a misdemeanor for driving my truck to the store for groceries and lose the registration on my truck for 5 years. NOT a good deal for us in any way.
The perception is there that the hmmwv are not currently eligible to be titled and tagged at all. This would then allow a limited title and registration where none is currently permitted.

I do not assert that this is the case. Others will.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks