• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Bill for Title Military Surplus Off Road Moves to Virginia Senate

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The VA 4 Wheel Drive Association is also pushing its members to support this bill because of SEMA. I am calling the president and letting them know this is not in our best interest. I had read their email the other day since I have been a member for 20 years or so, but never looked at it as a problem since my MV's have antique tags and don't drive them much.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent word to MISSION BBQ of Richmond that their fleet of BBQ trucks are about to be decommissioned. They are going to engage, I hope. They understood the implications of the bill when I explained it, I think.
Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent word to MISSION BBQ of Richmond that their fleet of BBQ trucks are about to be decommissioned. They are going to engage, I hope. They understood the implications of the bill when I explained it, I think.
Bulldogger

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bulldogger

Yes. They have one in Gainesville now.

Action

H.B. 1323 defines a “military surplus off-road motor vehicle" as a High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (or HMMWV, a vehicle more commonly known as a Humvee) that was manufactured by or under the direction of the United States Armed Forces and subsequently authorized for sale to civilians
Doesn't this definition mean that anywhere the words"military surplus off-road motor vehicle" is used, they are talking about the HMMWV specifically?

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Doesn't this definition mean that anywhere the words"military surplus off-road motor vehicle" is used, they are talking about the HMMWV specifically?

I wouldn't count on it. If you were a left leaning judge, who wanted all those big scary green trucks off the road, how would you interpret this -

"The provisions of this section shall apply to all owners of military surplus motor vehicles registered with the Department under any other provision of this Code prior to July 1, 2018. Such "

Would you apply it only to hmmwv's? Or would you interpret it to mean what it clearly states, "all military surplus motor vehicles" ?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The current bill text I read designated a surplus vehicle and anything formerly owned by the DoD and subsequently authorized for sale to civilians, meaning all ex-Mil trucks. Perhaps it started as HMMWV specific.

Bulldogger

MaverickH1

The VA 4 Wheel Drive Association is also pushing its members to support this bill because of SEMA. I am calling the president and letting them know this is not in our best interest. I had read their email the other day since I have been a member for 20 years or so, but never looked at it as a problem since my MV's have antique tags and don't drive them much.
Did you get an answer or a reply on this, CARMAN?

MaverickH1

We have seen the old version of the bill. The new version is worse.

It changes the registration fee from $50 to $100.

It changes the miles away from home allowance from 250 to 125.

And it requires you to provide your home address and destination address to the officer so he can determine whether it is legal.

MaverickH1

Scary development #2. The original bill that was drafted in January ALLOWED regular plating of military vehicles that went through regular inspections. THEY REMOVED that section of the bill in the final bill that passed.

This is potentially very bad news.

I have my suspicions about WHY it was like that.

MaverickH1

So what is the latest with it? I called my state senator and he or his associates never have returned my call.
I'm updating with all I know at this point. Senate committee meeting is tomorrow, and I think we'll have a lot more information then.

I've devoted about 2 full days to this, and I'm about to have to stop for today so I can make another 100 mirrors for a customer I have and deliver early in the AM.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm updating with all I know at this point. Senate committee meeting is tomorrow, and I think we'll have a lot more information then.

I've devoted about 2 full days to this, and I'm about to have to stop for today so I can make another 100 mirrors for a customer I have and deliver early in the AM.
Can you send info on this so I can forward to VA4WDA

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to throw this out...I have a dump truck, an m929 that I use occasionally around the farm and within maybe 20 miles. I didn't buy it for parades and I'm not using it commercially. It's use is occasional.

You should have a farm designation also, that while restricted, recognizes these vehicles have some WORK left in them but that their use may be seasonal or intermittent, spending most of their time sitting. Commercial plates should not be required for farm use and they should be much cheaper.

Sorry if I repeated someone else's idea, I didn't see it mentioned.

For a long time I have argued that we should be proactive on this, recognizing using them in city, suburbs and country, hobby and farm use, since the US Government did just sell us all this equipment. But unfortunately it became a taboo topic, rather than all rowing together in one boat for reasonable laws. This is by far the largest MV site and should take a lead...in my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks