• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Bill for Title Military Surplus Off Road Moves to Virginia Senate

MaverickH1

The delegate who authored the bill in the House just called me and asked for my amendment and the reasoning. Just sent to him via e-mail.

He's trying to help, but he's also having to bow to the DMV and State Troopers. The delegate swore that having such vehicles was against VA law right now so he was operating on that premise, which is false. He swore the state troopers said so.

He thought this bill was just about Humvees. I don't think he realizes how far it stretches out.

kcobean

The bill has been changed multiple times, and the most current version that crossed over to the Senate is really bad news.

We are meeting at the Equestrian Statue at the NW corner of the capitol building (in front of the GA building) at around 1:30 or so to go and speak at the transportation committee meeting. If you can make it, PLEASE join us. Speak out against this legislation. Latest report is that the fee is now $100, the distance limitation is $125 miles and you have to provide your destination to police if stopped so they can verify your "story".

We HAVE to try and stop this.

kcobean

The bill has been changed multiple times, and the most current version that crossed over to the Senate is really bad news.

We are meeting at the Equestrian Statue at the NW corner of the capitol building (in front of the GA building) at around 1:30 or so to go and speak at the transportation committee meeting. If you can make it, PLEASE join us. Speak out against this legislation. Latest report is that the fee is now $100, the distance limitation is $125 miles and you have to provide your destination to police if stopped so they can verify your "story".

We HAVE to try and stop this.

Flyingvan911

The "verify your story" part kind of makes me wonder if someone isn't suspicious of people who own or want to own former military vehicles. Not that it's some sort of high level conspiracy, just maybe someone who has their nose out of joint a little.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "verify your story" part kind of makes me wonder if someone isn't suspicious of people who own or want to own former military vehicles. Not that it's some sort of high level conspiracy, just maybe someone who has their nose out of joint a little.
Or with the internet it was added by someone who spends time on classic cars sites and has read enough " my car (or whatever you drive) is on display every time I drive it" posts. You even see that line of thinking on motorcyle sites because they want cheap insurance .

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone contacted the MVPA? They are a fairly large organization, and they would have to have lobbyists and lawyers.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or with the internet it was added by someone who spends time on classic cars sites and has read enough " my car (or whatever you drive) is on display every time I drive it" posts. You even see that line of thinking on motorcyle sites because they want cheap insurance .
"My car is on display every time I drive it" sounds unreasonable to you, because it works in favor of the individual.

However, the state's position is "your cat is on display every time it's out of the house on a leash" seems perfectly reasonable to them, when they want me to have an exhibition license.

So just exactly where is the threshold of "on display"? And shouldn't the threshold be the same? Or shall we have one extremely low threshold when it benefits the state, and another extremely high threshold before the individual can claim it?

kcobean

Problem is we just found out about this and the Senate is voting on this legislation today.

Were on the way way down to see if we can stop it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"My car is on display every time I drive it" sounds unreasonable to you, because it works in favor of the individual.

However, the state's position is "your cat is on display every time it's out of the house on a leash" seems perfectly reasonable to them, when they want me to have an exhibition license.

So just exactly where is the threshold of "on display"? And shouldn't the threshold be the same? Or shall we have one extremely low threshold when it benefits the state, and another extremely high threshold before the individual can claim it?
Personally I think the "the verify your story" is extreme , but these type of things are usually bought on by abuse of the current rules. If you want to use a vehicle for daily driving or commercial purposes buy the right plates .

Last edited:

kcobean

Personally I think the "the verify your story" is extreme , but these type of things are usually bought on by abuse of the current rules. If you want to use a vehicle for daily driving or commercial purposes buy the right plates .
This bill mandates that all FMVs wear the proposed plate. If you have “the right plates” for daily use you have until 1/1/19 to reregister or your current registration is invalidated. All I really want is for them to make standard passenger plates an option if I choose to pass state inspection, pay the registration fees and taxes just like any other car.

snowtrac nome

I might be reading between the lines but I believe it has something to do with preventing folks like me from buying fmv's and using them commercially because they are basic and reliable. I could be wrong I would bet however i'm not far off just look at some of the problems smaller operators are having with some of the newer medium duty trucks,and their un reliable and expensive emission systems.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally believe this all started from lobbyists talking to a politician trying to get hmmwvs to be allowed to operate on the road with a special tag. Then backfiring and every fmv getting drug into this. There has never been any issues with any fmv in my area other then hmmwv. I’m sure police deal with antique plate abuse, however that could mean any antique vehicle not just hmmwvs. Also Virginia sends you a form to fill out requesting what your daily driver is. You give them the registration number and that is all. However I have owned my deuce for 14 years and they only asked me once for that info.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is current response from VA4WDA. They are working on it but obviously the response is for current tags.

[FONT=&quot]I cannot see anything in the forums because I am not a member.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]According to the VA state police:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you have a black antique tag, a yellow antique tag, or a stamped year tag, you have limited use – miles and activities.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, if you get your vehicle state safety inspected, those limitations go away and you may drive it as you please.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The code is 46.2-730.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hope this helps.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sandy Schneirla[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Direct 757 739 8979[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VicePresident@va4wda.org[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VA4WDA, Vice President[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://va4wda.org[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://www.facebook.com/VA4WDA[/FONT]

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More from VA4WDA sent to their members.

[FONT=&quot]Members,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We forwarded you the email below on Feb 15. There has been much discussion about this proposal. The folks with Steel Soldiers are fighting this bill due to the limitations on activities this bill proposes against Military Surplus Vehicles now owned by civilians.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We please ask you to research the actual proposal: https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+sum+HB1323.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And react based on how it will affect you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The state code pertaining to Antique tags is 46.2-730: https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter6/.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Attached you will find the proposal as currently written. Pay special attention to page 7 for the proposed addition to the state code of 46.2-730.1.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We ask that you contact your VA legislators today to voice your opinion to this proposal. This proposed change was sent from the Senate and is currently in the Committee on Transportation for review.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sandy Schneirla
[FONT=&quot]Direct 757 739 8979[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VicePresident@va4wda.org[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VA4WDA, Vice President[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://va4wda.org[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://www.facebook.com/VA4WDA[/FONT]
[/FONT]

kcobean

We spoke at the Senate sub-committee today and They amended the bill to say that if you choose to get a state inspection and regular plates that you would have unrestricted use. That’s a GREAT thing.

However, we talked to the State Trooper in charge of the state inspection program and they will be instructing inspectors to fail ALL FMVs because they are not FMVSS compliant. so ultimately the amendment is meaningless and the bill stands. ALL FMVs will have to be registered with the new FMV plate or antique plate and abide by the restrictions.

if you use an FMV for business in VA, those days just ended.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did any of the antique tag laws change? For example the distance of 250 miles from home. Also it would depend on when your FMV was manufactured as to what FMVSS were required for that year.

BLK HMMWV

In a nut shell this is my take on the whole deal.
The original batch of HMMWV's got released at the original auction's late 90's and many registered for on road use. (There wasn't that many and it wasn't that big of a deal) They basically thought ok a few got out but we put a stop to it)
The civilian H1's were coming out but for huge money compared to the 1,000 or so HMMWV's released.
AMG gets involved as does GM and they stop the sale.
The prices of the few from the original auctions are now going for good money.
People see them for sale for 30k plus and find out the government is chopping them up.
They start bitching to there congress critters and then start smacking the hornet nest.
That turns into ok you can have them for off road use only.
then some 1023's come out of the marine corps without the off road only stamp on the sf97.
More government entities get involved and then AMG gets back involved and it turns into
OK then nobody can have one . And that is now starting to cascade into no FMV's.
BH

MaverickH1

Folks, this has little to do with HMMWVs. They were wanting to target 5 tons for things like having bumpers that were too high. They are wanting to target Japanese import vehicles that are starting to come in that are older than 25 years.

I will have more in the future. We're still fighting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks