• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oklahoma Bill Introduced to Create Titling for HUMVEES

DeadParrot

Update on Bill status: recommendation for Do Pass out of committee with an amendment:

G.1.Former military vehicles designated and commonly
referred to as Humvees, that have been converted for safe operation
on the highway may be titled and registered under the following
conditions:
a. presentation of proper U.S. Government ownership
documentation identifying the vehicle by serial number
and designating the vehicle as a Humvee,and

b. presentation of a completed Oklahoma Tax Commission
certificate of conversion confirming the vehicle has
been equipped will all equipment necessary to bring
the vehicle into full compliance with National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration requirements pursuant to
49 CFR §571.101 et seq. The certificate of conversion
shall include the name and address of those individuals
or entities completing the conversion; and
2.Any Oklahoma certificate of title issued to a converted
Humvee shall reflect the notation
"Converted Military Humvee".

Apologies for formatting weirdness - the website shows bill as PDF and the legal formatting sucks for extracting text bits.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update on Bill status: recommendation for Do Pass out of committee with an amendment:

conditions:

Apologies for formatting weirdness - the website shows bill as PDF and the legal formatting sucks for extracting text bits.
FMVSS requirements at the time of manufacture, or FMVSS requirements at the time of titling?

(HUGE difference. Yud have a shot at bringing one into compliance with mid 80''s requirements, but current requirements would cost tens of thousands to retrofit...)

Edit to add - mil standard whatever-it-is has already been found to be equivalent to FMVSS, so in theory they'e already compliant....

DeadParrot

No clue on Time of Manf vs Time of Titling. Quite possible the Senator making the amendment and those voting to pass it didn't know there would be a difference. Don't know why but this was in the Appropriations Sub Committee. Also unknown is if the "Certificate of Conversion" is an existing form or something the Tax Commission will have to create if this bill passes in current form.

undysworld

conditions:

FWIW:

"Converting" a non-compliant (with FMVSS) vehicle so that it complies is regularly done - by a NHTSA-authorized importer - to non-US-market imports. Based on comments I've read in NHTSA Letters of Interpretation, it is an expensive proposition, if it can be done. Probably easier and cheaper to buy a H-1 and paint it CARC.

EDIT: Just found this, the list of NHTSA-authorized importers: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/active_ri_listfeb2017.pdf FYI.
2nd EDIT: Please note that there are ZERO NHTSA-authorized importers in OK. :-?

Last edited:

drowens1

I think I'm a little confused. I have a title for my HMMWV that I got last summer. How did that Happen? I live in Ok. I even had to get a VIN number from the State because the original VIN # and data plate was missing. It was a process but no one told me I couldn't do it.

DeadParrot

I think I'm a little confused. I have a title for my HMMWV that I got last summer. How did that Happen? I live in Ok. I even had to get a VIN number from the State because the original VIN # and data plate was missing. It was a process but no one told me I couldn't do it.
This bill may have been filed to solve a problem that didn't exist. Without a specific ban on HMMWVs in statute, the Tax Commission was probably treating them like any other oddball vehicle. The Tax Commission wants to bring in revenue. Not issuing a tag/title doesn't fulfill that goal.

On the Bill:
It passed out of the House 85-0 without the conversion amendment. If it clears the Senate with the amendment, then will have to be reconciled in a conference committee. One of the original filers was a Senator, don't know if he/she was on the committee that added the amendment.

DeadParrot

Last committee vote was a FAIL recommendation. 18-18. Don't know for sure if that kills it or there is some process to move it to a full Senate vote. Or perhaps re-amend it and try again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks