• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hawaii Introduces Bill to Allow Military Vehicle Registration (including HMMWVs)

donkren

From the SEMA Action Network Website:

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2018HI2&g=SEMAGA

Hawaii Introduces Bill to Allow Military Vehicle Registration
DON’T DELAY! Please contact the Hawaii State Senate Committees on Public Safety, Intergovernmental, and Military Affairs and on Transportation and Energy immediately to request support for S.B. 2849:

• S.B. 2849 allows former military vehicles to be registered as special interest vehicles.
  • S.B. 2849 defines a “former military vehicle” as a vehicle that is at least 25 years old and is either a “Pinzgauer”, “Kaiser Jeep M715”, “Humvee”, or “DUKW” (Duck).
Overview: Legislation (S.B. 2849) to allow owners of former military vehicles the opportunity to register their vehicles as special interest vehicles was introduced. The bill is currently in the Senate Committes on Public Safety, Intergovernmental, and Military Affairs and on Transportation and Energy.

From the Hawaii state legislature website:

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=SB&billnumber=2849&year=2018

Classifies certain former military vehicles as special interest vehicles. Enables owners of former military vehicles to apply for registration with the director of finance of the county in which the former military vehicle resides. Makes conforming amendments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunzy

Wow, that is a VERY narrow definition. A lot of owners will be left out in the cold by that bill.

donkren

It is, for sure. But I can't tell what was permitted under the existing law. The way things are going, I tend to see any definitive allowance for registration and on road use as a win. We need some members from Hawaii to chime in here and give us some perspective. And if this is indeed an expansion of rights for them, they should start calling their reps.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did they repeal the law that prohibited registering them? What was THAT LAW SPECIFICALLY?

Laws do not "allow" things or actions, they prohibit them or require an action.

The "allowing" of things or actions died with the monarchy form of government that we threw off 250 years ago.

donkren

What I see happening is a requirement for FMVSS certification creeping into state laws. Since almost none of the vehicles we think of as Military vehicles are certified (vehicles manufactured for and sold to the US Military are exempt from FMVSS compliance by federal law) this requirement effectively bans their use on the road, unless they are specifically allowed by state law. I don't know Hawaii's existing law, but this requirement is common and I believe becoming more common. I hope this is an effort to push back. If it concerns you (and I hope it does) check into your state's law and call your legislators.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that is a VERY narrow definition. A lot of owners will be left out in the cold by that bill.
Looks to me like that very narrow definition are the only vehicles subject to the limitations in the bill.

The rest of the FMVs would not be titled or tagged as special interest - they'd simply be treated as normal vehicles.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw several pinzgauers when I was in HI last year. I can’t imagine trying to drive anything much larger on O’ahu. It was so congested there, just finding a place to park a 5 ton or 2.5 ton would be a nightmare. The other islands might be different, I only traveled around O’ahu. HI does not seem like a freedom loving state.

Flyingvan911

The curse and blessing of states requiring FMVSS is that many classics cars don't have FMVSS stickers either and that will anger the classic car lobby. That in turn will help everyone by pressuring states to get rid of or not start requiring a FMVSS sticker. At least for vehicles that never had them in the first place.

dayabe

It is true that Hawaii has introduced a bill SB2849 that will allow some military vehicle to be registered. It has passed the senate and is currently in the house. I ran a hmmwv here on Kauai for 12 years and the DMV recently stopped us from registering our MV since we got a new manager here. So we had to go about changing the laws here. I hope it passes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks